Tremont Teaching Assistant
Dec. 19, 2012
The Tremont School is an exciting new independent middle school. We opened our doors in September 2011 for 5th and 6th graders. This year we will add 7th grade. We will be adding a grade each year until reaching our full capacity as a school for grades 5 -12 in 2017.
The mission of the Tremont School is to provide an experiential education that focuses on social and emotional learning as well as academic excellence for a deliberately diverse group of students. Class size will be small and emphasis will be placed on providing students with a real context for their learning; a project-based, thematic curriculum that recognizes and respects individual differences, where an inclusive community of good friends and good citizens can develop and thrive.
• A strong commitment to the Tremont School’s mission and vision
• Excitement about developing positive student relationships to initiate and sustain learning
• Highly energetic, highly motivated individual with the requisite entrepreneurial spirit for a start-up school
• A sense of humor, an optimistic outlook, a love of kids, an open mind and a desire to make a difference with an innovative start-up school
• Ability to thrive in a dynamic and flexible environment
• Excitement about project-based, thematic, and integrated learning
• Willingness to take a student’s perspectives seriously in solving problems
• Interest in social and emotional learning as an important part of daily classroom life
As an inclusive program, we expect a percentage of our students will come to us with a broader array of academic and social challenges than might typically be found in a more traditional independent school, as well as students looking for an interdisciplinary experiential learning opportunity. We pride ourselves on creating a warm, academically challenging, and inclusive atmosphere and are looking for promising educators who share that philosophy and experience.
We are currently accepting applications for a Teaching Assistants. This is a great opportunity to experience the classroom from the teacher’s perspective and gain that valuable experience necessary for being a successful teacher.
Teaching Assistants will support the work of the teachers, the Social Skills Teacher, and the Head of School. Support in the classroom will include individual or small group academic support, social support and general classroom maintenance. Teaching Assistants will also work closely with classroom teachers to assess the needs of various students or groups of students. As appropriate, Teaching Assistants may take a leadership role in aspects of the curriculum or on specific projects.
All faculty at the Tremont School, in addition to traditional teaching responsibilities will be responsible for mentoring and coaching students in academic, social and emotional areas. Finally, the work environment at Tremont is very collaborative, so Teaching Assistants will need to collaborate closely and communicate openly with teachers in all of their work.