Questions & Feedback About the Program
If you have questions about the program, the Department of Community Service can be reached at 781-736-3237 between the hours of 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. Feedback is always welcome! As this is a pilot year for the Commitment to Service Award program, the Department of Community Service reserves the right to make edits to the initiative throughout the year. Visit this site to learn about new changes and developments in this exciting season of service at Brandeis!
Upcoming Info Sessions
1/24: 3-4pm, SCC Room 313
1/30: 12-1pm, SCC Room 313
Come learn more about the program and get your questions answered!
Commitment to Service Award
Encourage students to engage in community service further impacting their Brandeis experience while addressing community needs. Service will be used as a means to explore careers, apply course work, fulfill personal values, and develop meaningful relationships. The program will encourage students to track their volunteer hours, adding many benefits to the community and university, while offering an opportunity to celebrate our student’s commitment to social justice and service deepening the roots of their journeys beyond Brandeis. Students will be honored at graduation with a commitment to service pin through this pilot program.
Why should I participate?
- Deepen my impact with a holistic service approach.
- Receive a Commitment to Service Pin Award to wear at graduation.
- Denote this prestigious honor on my resume.
- Explore and develop leadership through intentional reflection and relationship building.
- Have my service hours formally documented for graduate school, jobs and internship applications.
- Help Brandeis achieve national honors and awards.
- Tracking hours aids in the receipt of grants and funding for future service opportunities.
- Make a local and global impact.
- Take pride in and celebrate my community organizing and impact.
- Benefit from special programs for all program participants.
- Formally commit to the Social Justice Mission of Brandeis University.
- Have your name posted as recipient on the Department of Community Service website.
Complete online registration (must login with Brandeis email)
Complete and document Community Service Hours regularly *Final hours are due Wednesday, April 10th for May 2013 graduates*
Submit reflection essay *Due Wednesday, April 10th for May 2013 graduates*
Community Service Pledge (Students are able to check a box that they agree to this pledge when they log their hours in the tracking hours system.)
Complete a Community Service Waiver and CORI Form (if required)
Bronze- 300 Hours of Community Service
Silver- 600 Hours of Community Service
Gold- 900 Hours of Community Service
Note: ONLY hours inputted into the Brandeis University Community Service Tracking Hours System will count toward award hours. Because this is a new program, current sophomore, junior and senior students have modified hour requirements for each of these tiers. See the FAQs section for details.
Students will be awarded their pins at the Celebration of Service event and are encouraged to wear their service pins during commencement ceremonies as well as indicate this distinctive honor on their resumes.