Many find it rewarding to reflect in the form of writing in a journal. Download a PDF of our director's journal writing strategies and tips.
It is important that each volunteer tracks all his hours spent volunteering and that the club submits a list of each member's hours to the Department of Community Service at the end of every semester. Tracking hours is a great way to keep track of your service work and will prove helpful when you need to quantify your volunteer experiences for resume or application purposes. By providing Brandeis with information on your volunteer hours, we too can quantify students' volunteer work to:
- Provide detailed information for reference checks (Medical school applications now ask for proof of campus involvement.)
- Provide detailed information for graduate school applications.
- Illustrate university and local need for our volunteer programs.
- Help determine allocation and funding allotment for the Waltham Group and its programs.
- Have detailed data and demographics to support requests made to pursue grants.
This system is solely for your benefit, not a way to monitor your involvement as a volunteer. Your efforts and time as a volunteer are greatly appreciated and we are here to support you endeavors. Thanks for taking the time to track your volunteer hours.
Please contact the Department of Community Service if you'd like to work with a staff member to figure out the best way of tracking hours for your particular club's volunteer work.