Leader Scholar Communities
Redefining residential living
This unique program offers exceptional first-year students like yourself the opportunity to live on the same floor with other students who share similar interests. Students will have the opportunity to collaborate and attend special programming led by faculty who have been hand-picked for this program for their expertise in the subject area and their willingness to assist first-year students in transitioning to college. Additionally, students will be guided by an upperclassman Community Advisor, who has demonstrated strong academic accomplishments related to the community topic, and a Teaching Fellow, selected because of his or her teaching prowess and knowledge of the field.
In the first semester, students will have the chance to meet faculty from many different departments and schools related to the topic. In the second semester, students will be given the opportunity to expand upon what you have learned through project-based learning.
Students who participate in the program will receive two credit hours each semester for their participation in the practicum course specifically designed for your community.
6 fast facts about the LSCs
- Three topics are offered: Media and Politics, Global Perspectives and Leadership in Health and Medicine.
- LSCs are no more than 20 students per community in order to maintain the intimate nature of the program.
- LSC participants will be housed in renovated buildings with peers that have similar academic and/or personal interests.
- LSC participants will have a Community Advisor that is specially selected to do programming in line with the theme of the LSC.
- LSC participants are required to be enrolled in a 2 credit practicum course taught by a graduate Teaching Fellow.
- LSC practicum courses will feature guest lectures and discussions from top Brandeis faculty in a small group setting.
Faculty will serve as mentors to deepen your understanding of the subject matter and encourage exploration of new topics. Check out a list of participating faculty.