Community Development Coordinator
Quad Office: Rosenthal South, Ground Floor
For a CA on call between 9pm and 9am call 781-736-6760
If this is an emergency call Brandeis Police at 781-736-5000
Welcome to Usen Castle
Usen Castle and Schwartz Hall offer 120 sophomore students an eclectic style living option on campus with many breathtaking views of the Boston Skyline. The Castle is home to Cholmondeley's, or Chum's, Brandeis's coffeehouse and late night snack bar. The Castle is conveniently located next to the Usdan Student Center which houses Financial Services, Residence Life, the campus mailroom, two a la carte dining halls, Hiatt Career Center, Academic Services, Hillel, Chaplains Office and a convenience store. Within close proximity one will also find the Gosman Sports Center, the Rabb Academic Quad, the Science Complex and the Health and Counseling Centers.
Usen Castle is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the oldest building on Brandeis's campus.
- Three Community Advisors (CAs) staff Castle Quad; one is located in Schwartz Hall and two others in C and B Towers.
- The staff office for Castle Quad is shared with the East staff.
- The Community Development Coordinator (CDC), a live-in full time professional staff member with an advanced degree, supervises the CAs and manages the residence halls
- The Community Development Coordinator holds regular office hours in the quad office
- The Castle Community Development Coordinator's office is located on the first floor of Rosenthal South.
- Students can choose single, double, triple and suite options in a variety of configurations.
- No two rooms in Usen Castle or Schwartz Hall are identical.
- A few select rooms have hardwood floors, are pie-shaped or have sinks.
- All singles, doubles and triples are located on single gender floors
- Suites may be mixed-gender.
- Students living in suites are responsible for cleaning their shared living areas.
- Castle Commons, located on D2 is a unique, round shaped room that includes a fireplace, community kitchen with dining area, couches, foosball table, television and multiple study areas.
- Schwartz Lounge, located on the ground floor of Schwartz Hall includes a lounge with a piano.
- Laundry facilities are located next to the right of Schwartz Hall and behind Usen Castle.
- Chum's, Brandeis' very own student managed coffee shop and performance venue, located on the ground floor of the Usen Castle B
- Student-run pottery studio located adjacent to Usen Castle
- Courtyard with tables and benches
- Lookout balcony with a view of Boston's skyline.