Know the Number
In the event of an emergency on campus of any type, call the Brandeis Police at 781.736.3333.
Alcohol and Drug Education
The Alcohol Task Force
The Brandeis University Alcohol Task Force is a team of students, faculty, and staff that meets regularly to examine campus consciousness and create educational opportunities regarding student use of alcohol and other drugs. If you are interested in participating, please contact Diana Denning, Nurse Manager of the Health Center, at 781.736.3699 or email@example.com.
Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
- If a person is unconscious or semiconscious, or you can't wake them up
- Slow respiration (breaths of eight or fewer per minute or lapses in-between)
- Cold, clammy, pale, or bluish skin accompanied by smell of alcohol
Don't wait for a person to show these signs to call for help. If you are concerned about someone's level of impairment, safety, or well being, make the call. If a person shows any of the signs of alcohol poisoning, call immediately to 781.736.3333 if you are on campus; 911 if you are off campus!
While waiting for emergency transport:
- Gently turn the intoxicated person on their side, and place a small pillow in the small of the person's back. This is important to prevent aspiration (choking) should the person vomit.
- Stay with the person until medical help arrives.
- If a person appears to be 'sleeping it off',' it is important to realize that blood-alcohol levels may continue to rise, putting the person's life in danger.
- When in doubt, call for help.