Brandeis University’s student government is called the Undergraduate Student Union. The Student Union consists of four separate branches: the Executive Office, the Union Senate, the Union Judiciary, and the Union Allocations Board. All four serve different functions and perform different services to Brandeis students and the organizations that are created at the University.
- The Union Executive Office is comprised of the Union President, the Union Vice President (also the President of the Senate), the Union Treasurer, the Union Secretary, and other appointed members as nominated by the Union President and confirmed by the Union Senate. The Executive Senator (elected by the Union Senate) serves as the Senate liaison to the Union Executive Office.
- The Union Senate is comprised of two senators from each graduating class, one senator from each residential quad, one senator from an off campus residence, a senator for racial minority students, and a senator from the Transitional Year Program. All senators are elected by the members of the constituency they represent. The primary purposes of the Senate are to:
- Enact legislation consistent with the purposes of the Union Constitution
- Establish and maintain the Union By-Laws
- Approve the creation of Union Chartered and Recognized Organizations
- Confirm Presidential appointments to the Executive Office and other committees
- Ratify the Union Government budget for each semester
- The Union Judiciary holds the judicial powers of the Union. Five students are elected as Justices, and then a Chief Justice is elected by those members. More information about the disputes that the Union Judiciary has jurisdiction over can be found in the Union Constitution at http://union.brandeis.edu.
- The Union Allocations Board is responsible for allocating a specific percentage of the Student Activities Fee to Union Chartered Organizations in accordance with the Union Constitution and By-Laws. The “A-Board,” as it is oftentimes referred, consists of the Union Treasurer, four representatives elected by the student body at large, one representative for racial minority students, a representative from the Department of Student Activities, and one representative appointed by the President of the Union.