Special Students

Brandeis University offers Special Students the opportunity to take Brandeis classes during the Fall and Spring Term as part-time commuting students on a space-available basis.  Special Students must have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent and are not currently enrolled at another college or university.

If you are currently a student at another college or university and would like to be a full-time visiting student for a semester at Brandeis please visit the Office of Admissions.

Current high school students who wish to take a course during the Fall or Spring Term should contact the Office of High School Programs.

Please note:

  • Special-student status is subject to approval on an individual and semester basis. Students whose academic performance does not meet Brandeis standards may be denied permission to register for a second semester. 
  • Special Students are allowed to take 1-2 classes as commuting students only.  On-campus housing is not available.
  • Because Special Students are part-time students, financial aid is not available.
  • Courses with limited enrollment or instructor consent required may be more difficult to enroll in, so early registration for these classes is recommended. 
  • International students who are in the U.S. under the terms of a visa, should see the Special Information for International Students below.

Registration process:

1)  Students should first find a class they would like to take.  Spring 2017 classes can be found at the link below (use the drop down menu at the top to change between subject areas):

Special students are limited to a maximum of 8 credits, so a Special Student may take one or two four-credit classes.

2)  After finding a class, special students should consult the course description on the Registrar's Schedule of Classes or the Brandeis Bulletin to see if there are prerequisites for the course.  The Brandeis Bulletin can be found at:

Prerequisites and corequisites for upper-level classes ensure that students enter a class with shared knowledge of the subject area before tackling more advanced concepts.

3)  Review the Academic Calendar for the term.  The Academic Calendar can be found at:

4)  Secure your finances for the course.  Tentative tuition and fees for the 2016-2017 Academic Year are as follow:

                   $6,198  Course tuition per 4-credit course
                                   (This is $1,550 per credit, per term)
               +     $830  Mandatory Undergraduate Fee per term
TOTAL  $7,028 for one 4-credit courses or $13,226 for two 4-credit courses

As a part-time special student, financial aid is not available.  Also, since this program is part-time, special students do not qualify for, or receive, visa assistance.

5)  Apply to be a special student by filling out a Special Student Application.  As part of this application you are asked to have either your high school or college transcript sent to us (see application for more information). 

Send your completed Special Student Application to:

Brandeis University
Attn: Gwenn Smaxwill
Summer & Continuing Studies - MS 084
P.O. Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110

Special Information for International Students who are already in the U.S.:

International students seeking Special Student status should note that Brandeis University is unable to issue or sponsor student visas as the Special Student program does not meet the full-time enrollment definition set forth by the Department of Homeland Security required for the student visa status.

For individuals who are in the U.S. in another nonimmigrant visa status (non-U.S. Citizens, non-U.S. Permanent Residents/Green Card holders), participation in courses as a Special Student should be within the terms of the visa status for which you are presently in the U.S.

It is the responsibility of the student to make certain they may take courses under their current visa status.  Please check first with the sponsor of your visa (current college or university or current employer) to make sure you would not violate the terms of your visa by taking a class as a Special Student.