Brandeis students are permitted to design their own Independent Study course working under the guidance of a Brandeis faculty member.
The following steps must be fulfilled before a student will be permitted to enroll in a summer Independent Study (98a/b):
1) Written verification that the department in question is willing to arrange for one of its faculty members to supervise the independent study course via signature of the instructor and department chairperson on the Registrar's Independent Study form.
2) The Independent Study form should include the following information:
• Material to be covered
• Texts to be read
• The form of evaluation to be used (papers, texts, etc.)
• Agreement to submit a letter grade at the end of the session in which the student has enrolled
3) Because each Independent Study is created specifically for each student, students must also complete our hard-copy Brandeis Summer Registration Form (PDF).
4) The student sends the Independent Study form and Summer School Registration Form to the Summer School Office and pays the appropriate tuition and fees ($2569) for one Summer School course.
Your registration form and the letter described in the independent study guidelines should be submitted to:
Summer School Office, MS 085
PO Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110
5) The faculty member will receive 50% of the tuition collected for this course at the completion of the course.