Frequently Asked Questions After Registration

How do I pay tuition and fees?

Full payment should be made within 72 hours of enrollment, or we may initiate steps to cancel your Summer School enrollment. You may request an payment extension by emailing For information about payment methods, please see Paying Summer Tuition and Fees.

You can review your Summer student account balance in Sage.  For information about fall and spring account balances, please contact Student Financial Services.

What health information do I need to provide?

Current Brandeis students have already provided this information and need not do so again.

If you are  a visiting student enrolling in a full-time  program (12 or more credit hours - i.e. three 4-credit classes), you will need to provide a Health Insurance Selection/Reporting Form and a Health and Immunization Report.

These requirements are the result of legislation enacted by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Participation in a health insurance program is mandatory for everyone enrolling in a full-time (12 or more credits) Brandeis program. If you are not enrolled in a health plan determined to be comparable to the minimum plan the Commonwealth mandates, the university is obliged to enroll you in and assess you for such a plan. The cost of this plan is modest.

Your health forms and records must be submitted to the Summer School Office  before Summer School begins.

How do I obtain a Brandeis student ID and parking permit?

If you are a current Brandeis student, your ID is valid throughout Summer School. Visiting students should visit the Campus Card Office in Kutz Hall during the first week of classes to obtain a student ID.

If you plan to park on campus, please review the Summer Parking Information and complete a Parking Permit Application. Parking permits will be available for pick-up at the Summer School Office beginning on the first day of each session.

What if I require disabilities services?

Brandeis is committed to providing an environment that is equitable and accessible to all qualified students. Since admission to the university is based on the academic qualifications of the applicant, admissions procedures remain the same for all applicants, regardless of disability. The university provides reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Once accepted, a student must provide us with documentation of a learning or physical disability to receive appropriate services.

After acceptance a student must have his or her disability records reviewed. Students seeking accommodations for a condition which can change over time, or which responds to medication, must provide current documentation (no more than three years old). A student seeking accommodation for a condition which does not likely change over time is encouraged to provide current documentation of his/her condition, but may seek a waiver of this currency requirement if the student's physician or licensed psychologist can document that re-testing is not medically necessary to re-evaluate the student's disability.  

If you wish to receive accommodations please submit your documentation to our office as soon as you have registered. Accommodation may take a few days to process and can not be granted retroactively.      

Appropriate accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the disability coordinator, the faculty and the student. Possible accommodations include housing assistance, extra time on exams, note takers, alternative testing procedures, and special parking arrangements.  

Gwenn Smaxwill
Rabb School Disability Coordinator
781-736-8124 (fax)
Office Location

What if I must miss a class?

If you know in advance you must miss a class, discuss this with your instructor. In case of an emergency, you can email your instructor or contact the Summer School Office and we will try to notify your instructor.

What if I must miss a class due to religious observance?

The following applies to absences for religious observation: Section 2B of Chapter 151C of the Massachusetts General Laws provides that: "Any student (...) who is unable, because of his religious beliefs to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study or work requirement on a particular day shall be (so) excused ... and shall be provided with an opportunity to make up such examination, study or work requirement which he may have missed because of absence on any particular day; provided, however, that such make-up examination or work shall not create an unreasonable burden upon such school. No fees of any kind shall be charged ... for making available to the said student such opportunity. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student because of his availing himself of the provisions of this section."

What if I am a sexually harassed or stalked?

There are resources available to you on campus.  Please visit the Office of Prevention Services at:

What if my course is canceled or the schedule changes?

Summer School is a self-supporting program, so courses are canceled if they do not meet a minimum enrollment. The university reserves the right to substitute instructors, rearrange the order of lectures or change other program details when necessary. Students are encouraged to register at their earliest convenience, and no later than May 22, 2015 for Session I and June 26, 2015 for Session II, so that enrollment levels can be ascertained before classes begin. Students who have enrolled in courses that are canceled due to low enrollment may enroll in another course or receive a full tuition and fee adjustment.

What if I need to add/drop a course?

Because the summer is on an accelerated schedule, switching courses is not recommended. However, under extenuating circumstances, students are allowed to add/drop (a.k.a. swap) a course during the first week of instruction.

What if I need to withdraw from Summer School?

If a student decides to withdraw from the Summer School classes, you may drop your courses online via SAGE until May 22, 2015 for Session I and June 26, 2015 for Session II.

After those dates, students must submit withdrawals in writing to the Summer School office via email to If notification is by postal mail, the postmark is accepted as the effective date for refund purposes described in our Tuition Adjustment Policy.

Phone calls are not accepted as official notification of intent to withdraw. Refunds for withdrawing from a Summer School course will be handled in accordance with our Tuition Adjustment Policy.

Not attending class or failure to pay an outstanding balance do not constitute a withdrawal, nor is it sufficient to notify the instructor.

Unless a student applies for official withdrawal by the published deadline, he or she will not receive a refund or adjustment of tuition and fees and receives a failing grade of "E" for a course whether classes were attended or not.

Registration fees and late registration fees are non-refundable unless a course is canceled.