Frequently Asked Questions

Who is best suited for this program?

The Master of Arts program in Teaching Chinese at the College Level is for students who have already obtained a foreign master’s degree in either teaching Chinese as a foreign language or in overseas Chinese language teaching (while at Brandeis, students will be pursuing their second master’s degree). Brandeis' one year Master of Arts Program in Teaching Chinese prepares students to be instructors of Chinese language and culture at colleges or other institutions that offer Chinese-medium content courses.

What is the minimum score for the TOEFL or IELTS Exam?

Minimum scores for each exam are:

  • 600 (paper-based TOEFL)

  • 250 (computer-based TOEFL)

  • 100 (Internet-based TOEFL)

  • 7 (IELTS)

You may submit a photocopy of your score report to expedite the review of your application, but an official report sent directly from ETS or IELTS must be received to finalize any offer of admission.

My TOEFL score is under 100. May I still apply?

The official policy of the Brandeis University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is to require a minimum score of 100 for the TOEFL exam; however, our department evaluates each student individually and holistically, considering all aspects of the application before making a final decision on admission. For questions, please contact the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

What is the tuition?

For the most up-to-date tuition, please visit the Cost of Attendance calculator.

Are international applicants eligible for financial assistance?

Students in the program are eligible for partial merit- and need-based scholarships. Scholarship offers will be included with the offer of admission. Visit the GSAS website for more information.

Students may also be selected to be peer tutors; these jobs pay an hourly wage for work performed.

For complete information about sources of funding, including loans, please see Aid for Master's Students.

When will my I-20 be issued to me?

Once you have been admitted, you must complete Brandeis' Visa Declaration of Finances Form (VIDOF), which should be done online.  On this form, you will indicate your financial contributions for graduate study. The I-20 form will be mailed to you after it is processed by the office. Please note that we cannot issue the I-20 forms to conditionally admitted students. If a conditional admission is offered pending receipt of official TOEFL and/or GRE score reports, the I-20 will be issued only after the score reports are received in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

For more information regarding the visa process, please visit the International Students and Scholars Office website.

Can I find a job?

Though no one can guarantee a job, the training and teaching experience that students receive through the MTCC program makes them more competitive candidates for teaching jobs at colleges and other institutions that offer Chinese medium content courses. The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences' Career Services Office is available to assist you with your job search.

For more information about post-grad placement for recent MTCC graduates, please visit our Alumni page.