Creating a Simple HTML Transcript
Writing a Transcript
Before You Create Your Own Transcript in Microsoft Word
Turn off Special Characters
- Open "Preferences" under the Word menu (next to File) in MSWord.
- Click on "AutoCorrect."
- Under the "AutoCorrect" and "Math AutoCorrect" tabs:
- Uncheck the box for "replace text as you type."
- Under the "AutoFormat as you Type" tab:
- Uncheck the box for "smart quotes."
- Uncheck the box for "symbol character (--)."
Please note: These directions are for MSWord 2016 for MAC. Steps may vary in other versions.
Upload a Screen Reader-friendly Version To the CMS
- Select all text in your transcript.
- Copy it.
- Paste the text into a new Word document using the "text-only" or "unformatted text" option.
- Click "Save As..."
- From the save options drop-down menu, choose "Web Page (.htm)."
- Upload the file to the CMS as you normally would (see the CMS guide for help uploading files).
- Be sure to put a link to your transcript on the page with your audio or video.