Frequently Asked Questions



I have been placed in Composition, but I don’t think I should have been. How did you decide this? What should I do? 

Incoming first-year students complete a timed, online writing assessment in May.  Any student whom the grading committee believes would benefit from additional instruction in writing is placed in Composition. If you feel you would not benefit from this instruction, you may contact the Director of University Writing. First-year students are also given a diagnostic essay to write their first day of class to determine that they have been placed correctly. 

I would like to switch into a section of Composition that takes place at a different time.  Is it possible to change my class schedule at the beginning of the term?  What do I do?

The shopping period for Composition runs from August 17th to August 31st. During this time, you may switch into any open section with the appropriate consent codes. To request consent codes, please contact Writing Program admin Rebecca Mahoney with your choice of section. Please note that codes will be granted on a first come, first serve basis.

After August 31st, special permission from the Writing Program is required to remove Composition from your schedule. Please contact Ms. Mahoney for further details.

Where do I go with questions or problems concerning my UWS/Composition registration?

For UWS or Composition questions, please contact Rebecca Mahoney, who will refer you to the appropriate Writing Program advisor.

Where do I go with questions or problems concerning transfer credit or academic advising?

For questions about transfer credit, please contact the University Registrar.  For academic advising, please call the Office of Academic Services at 781-736-3470.