Prizes and Contests
Write Now! publishes essays written for Brandeis University Writing Seminars. We invite students enrolled in University Writing Seminars during the current 2014-15 academic year to select and submit one essay to be considered for publication in next year's issue. Cash prizes will be awarded to the three essays that receive the most votes from our panel of faculty judges.
To submit writing for consideration, please submit your essay to Jodie Austin via e-mail. Please include the following information in a cover letter:
- your name, campus address and campus phone number
- your summer address and phone
- your email address
- your UWS instructor and section
Deadline for 2015-16 TBD.
Guidelines for Submitting Papers/Essays
- All Brandeis undergraduates are eligible for the awards.
- Papers/essays must be nominated by professors/instructors. Each professor or instructor may nominate up to four papers/essays, from one to 20 pages in length, authored by different students, from Brandeis courses of any academic year. Papers from senior thesis courses are excluded.
- Papers will not be returned to the students. Retyping and revision after final grading are allowed but not required. All those who submit essays will be notified of the results in writing.
- All papers/essays must include a cover page that includes the following information: name and signature of nominating professor, title and number of course, category for which paper is being nominated, name of student, student's mailbox number, student’s email address, title of paper, brief description of the writing assignment and brief evaluation.
- Papers/essays must be submitted to the English Department office by April 30th. Fall term papers may be submitted any time before the deadline. Early submission is appreciated.
- The J. V. Cunningham Awards Selection Committee will select the winners. Standards include formal content, substantive strength and originality.
- Papers will be evaluated within eight categories:
- School of Creative Arts
- School of Humanities
- School of Science
- School of Social Science
- Creative Writing
- University Seminar/University Writing Seminar
- Interdisciplinary Work
- Papers Written in a Foreign Language
- Up to five awards may be given. Prizes are $100 each. Awards will only be given in categories where papers are judged to be superbly written; in any year, an award in one or another category may not be made.
For further information, please contact Dawn Skorczewski.