Please be aware of the following policies:Attendance & Cancellation
- Undergraduate students may only sign up for one session per day. If you are a graduate student, or have a long project (such as a senior thesis, Master's thesis, or dissertation chapter) and would like extra time, please ask the permission of the Writing Center directors (firstname.lastname@example.org) before booking multiple sesions in one day.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, you must do so at least 24 hours BEFORE your appointment. Any student who misses their appointment or unenrolls from it less than 24 hours beforehand will not be allowed to use the online scheduler and will be restricted to drop-in sessions only.
- Students who are more than 10 minutes late forfeit their session. It is up to the tutor to decide whether to keep the appointment if you show up late and no other student has claimed it.
- All shifts from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. (Monday through Thursday) are drop-in only. Drop-in sessions are first-come, first-served. You must sign up in person beginning at 6 p.m. on the day of the session. If you cancel a drop-in appointment (in other words, sign up and then cross your name off the list), you will be restricted from using drop-in sessions again.
- Students may only make appointments for themselves. We assume the person who signs up will be the one who attends the session, and we reserve the right to request that students show their Brandeis i.d. cards. If a student signs up under someone else's name, both students will be restricted from full use of the Writing Center. Students may only bring in their own work; bringing in another student's work will result in restriction from the Writing Center.
- Please arrive with a hard copy of your essay. Tutors will not work from laptops or virtual copies.
- Tutors will not proofread your essay. If you would like grammar help, please sign up for a Grammar Session.
- Tutors can only work with 10 pages of writing at most. If you have a long essay, choose the section(s) with which you would most like help.
- Writing Center consultants are not permitted to help students with mid-term, take-home, or final exams without the permission of the instructor. If you think the nature of your assignment will be unclear to the consultant, please ask your instructor to email email@example.com giving you permission you to work on your paper at the Writing Center.
- Tutors can only help you with your own original work. We consider it a violation of the university's policy on academic integrity if you bring your friends' work and pass it off as your own and, consequently, we may restrict your further use of the Writing Center.
If you are a student with a documented disability on record at Brandeis, we encourage you to use our services. You can select a regular consultant and schedule sessions in advance. Our consultants will be happy to work with you for extended periods of time whenever possible. The Writing Center encourages you to inform your consultant that you have a disability, and to let him or her know about any writing strategies you find helpful. All students who use the Writing Center can rely on a strict policy of confidentiality.
Please email comments or questions to co-directors Matthew Schratz and Michelle Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.