Insurance and Travel Assistance Coverage

Study abroad offers many opportunities for growth and exploration. However, travel and study abroad always involves some elements of risk. The Office of Study Abroad at Brandeis University urges students and families to discuss their potential health and safety concerns, then learn about the insurance coverage available through their families, Brandeis University and their study abroad programs.

Health Insurance Requirements

International Sickness and Accident Insurance

All Brandeis University students who participate on an approved study abroad program must ensure they obtain coverage from a comprehensive international sickness and accident insurance plan. Many programs will automatically enroll students in a comprehensive plan. You should check with your program as soon as possible to determine if you are appropriately covered. Students must ensure that they have adequate insurance coverage for their particular circumstances. If your program does not provide comprehensive international sickness and accident insurance coverage, you will be required to enroll in the Brandeis international sickness and accident plan offered through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), which provides international insurance coverage for students through a comprehensive plan. Please note that all Brandeis-Led Study Abroad Programs automatically enroll students in CISI insurance for the duration of the program.

Maintaining U.S. Coverage

You must retain your U.S. health insurance, even while overseas. This will cover you both before you leave and after you return from your program. Should you have an accident or illness overseas that requires long-term care, you will have insurance upon your return to cover these expenses. Please also note that since you will be an enrolled, full-time Brandeis student while you are abroad, the same insurance regulations that affect you while you are in Waltham will still apply. Please see the University Bulletin or contact the Health Center at 781-736-3677 for more details.

CHUBB Travel Assistance Program

For students going abroad, you will be covered by the CHUBB Travel Assistance Program.

Brandeis University has contracted with CHUBB and Europ Assistance to provide worldwide travel assistance to all study abroad participants. CHUBB and Europ Assistance is a global assistance leader established in 1963 that offers robust services through 850,000 service providers located all over the globe.

In addition to the coverage provided by your health insurance, CHUBB has arranged with Europ Assistance USA to provide Brandeis students studying abroad with access to its network of travel services around the world. These include:

The coverage provided by CHUBB is meant to be a supplement to the policies, procedures, and support mechanisms offered by your study abroad program. While CHUBB does offer travel, medical, and security services, it is NOT health insurance. Brandeis requires all students participating in study abroad to maintain health insurance coverage that meets the standards set forth by the university.

Please visit the CHUBB/Europ Assistance website for more information or print out information on the Brandeis policy.

*Please note that CHUBB formerly went by the name ACE and you may see both names for a period of time.

Travel/Personal Property Insurance

We strongly encourage you to obtain insurance against theft and/ or damage to your personal effects for the period of time you will be abroad. Most programs do not provide insurance for your possessions. Your family's homeowner's insurance or rental insurance may provide coverage.

Independent Travel

Keep in mind that if you have special insurance needs, or if you plan any travel before, during or after the program, you are responsible for obtaining appropriate coverage. For students enrolled with CISI, they do provide the option of extending your coverage