Mental Health

standing in a field

Along with physical health, it is equally important to note that the range of counseling services available to students at Brandeis University may vary or not be available overseas. Many insurance policies, if they reimburse for counseling services, may not do so for services provided overseas.

For your safety and well-being, it is vital that you inform your program provider of any physical, emotional or psychological difficulties or special needs you have or may have experienced in the past. It is important for each student to know what mental health services are available in their host country and how they plan to access those services should the need arise.  Never assume that just because you are in a foreign culture that there are no services offered in your native language - this is often a misconception.

Even under the most optimal conditions, adjusting to life in a different culture can be a stressful transition. On occasion, this stress may trigger or exacerbate more serious emotional conditions. Adjusting to another culture is a higher risk for a student who is currently under treatment for depression, an eating disorder, or any other serious condition.

Remember that typical reactions to cultural transitions may include homesickness, boredom or fatigue, physical complaints, feelings of depression or helplessness, and/or hostility toward the host culture. However, these reactions are usually short-lived and completely normal.  If you are experiencing more than typical reactions, long-lasting feelings of the above, or if you would benefit from assistance with these feelings, please seek assistance with either local professionals, home support networks, your study abroad program, or the Office of Study Abroad. Planning as early as possible is always advised and your program can help with this process. In some cases, purchasing additional insurance may be recommended.

Below are some commonly asked questions by students and responses from the Brandeis Counseling Center (BCC).

Are you in need of ongoing therapeutic support while abroad?

If you need ongoing therapy, you can first speak with the Office of Study Abroad. Ask for their help in identifying how that need will be met in your destination country. Making arrangements to meet with a specific treater and clarifying payment arrangements before you go is best. Even if you are uncertain whether you will need care while away, clarifying the resources available and your insurance coverage ahead of time is recommended.

Are you currently on medications?

If you are currently on psychiatric medications, have your prescriber prescribe enough medicine for your entire stay abroad. Check your study abroad program to verify that your medicine is legal in your destination country. Ask your prescriber to write a letter on letterhead stating that you are being prescribed this medicine to carry with you abroad. Carry medicine in the original pill bottles with the prescription label on the bottle.

How can I recognize when I am becoming stressed?

Some stress is normal particularly as you are adjusting, but ongoing and increasing stress is not. You want to look for a change in your sleep pattern (more or less), change in appetite (more or less), trouble concentrating, worrying, isolating, increase in use of alcohol, and loss of interest in fun activities. If you notice any of these signs, seek help by reaching out to your program and asking for their support. If symptoms worsen, contact the Brandeis Study Abroad office. If you are having thoughts of suicide, inform your program and ask to be taken to an emergency room.

What does homesickness feel like and what can I do about it?

Homesickness is normal and should subside as you adjust.  It can be felt as anxiety, sadness and nervousness as well as preoccupation with thoughts of home, family and friends; you’re really missing your routine and sense of security. 

Homesickness can often be helped by establishing a routine, staying engaged with your new program, doing something to feel closer to home, talking to someone who understands, and remembering it will pass.

What can I do to take care of my mental health while away?

A regular sleep routine, eating well, exercising, maintaining a healthy schedule, exercising good judgement about the use of alcohol, utilizing supports, staying in touch with family and friends from home are all good coping strategies.

Can I use the Brandeis Counseling Center while I am away?

The Brandeis Counseling Center can not provide therapeutic support to students who are not on campus. If you feel you need support, reach out to your program and ask them to assist in locating help.

Who can I reach out to for help?
Definitely reach out if you are struggling or feel you are having trouble adjusting! Your program is usually the best contact to either just talk through your experience and give tips to help or connect you with counseling services. You can always reach out to the Office of Study Abroad as well--we are available for virtual appointments while you are abroad and are happy to help!