UDR Recognition Prize
Each semester, the School of Arts and Sciences awards UDR Recognition Prizes to those Undergraduate Departmental Representatives who have spearheaded exemplary UDR-sponsored events, programs and initiatives.
Fall 2022 Recipients
HSSP UDRs: Emma Ghalili, Kristi Ho, Asanya WawlagalaHSSP Initiatives
- Internship Session Series: Invited students to hear panels of students discuss their internships.
- Meet the Majors: Hosted a social event for students interested in the major. Faculty and a study abroad representative spoke about the opportunities.
- Journal Club: Students and faculty met to discuss a different scientific article each time.
- Halloween Dodgeball: Along with Biology, Biochemistry and Environmental Science, hosted dodgeball games for students and faculty with snacks and prizes.
- Coffee Mug Talk - Career Pathways: Organized panels of alumni, current students and faculty to discuss early career paths.
Philosophy UDRs: Anna Kang, Jacob Knauer, Matthew Robin
- Writing Workshop: UDRs and faculty offered writing support for new philosophy students to introduce the type of analytical writing required for philosophy papers.
- Guest Speaker Events: Hosted Kaleem Ahmid who spoke about Effective Altruism, and in collaboration with Politics, hosted Harvard professor Lucas Stanczyk who spoke about the moral objection to class inequality.
- Socrates Cafe: This series of informal discussions invited anyone to discuss a philosophical topic without advance knowledge or preparation.
Theater Arts UDRs: Kat Lawrence, Kieran Whitney
Theater Arts Initiatives
- Haunted Spingold: Held a haunted house at Spingold, facilitated 10 actors in designing the space, costumes, and creating a story for people to experience as they walked the loop.
- Removed Nazi imagery: Worked with the department chair to remove images in posters and production photos from Spingold.
- Diversity Training: Implemented training at rehearsals to offer guests, crew and cast a system to handle conflicts as they arise.
- Reformatted Weekly Listserv: Updated the weekly newsletter, increasing visual appeal by adding photos and reducing text, and creating sections to facilitate finding department events, club theater events, and other opportunities.
- Find the (re)source: Along with Music UDRs, invited interested students to a meet and greet with snacks, followed by a scavenger hunt in Spingold Theater and Slosberg Music Center.