Although previous experience in computer programming or linguistics may be helpful, it is not necessary for the two-year Master of Arts (MA) program in Computational Linguistics. Following are the requirements for admission:
- An online application
- An application fee (please click here for more information)
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended must be uploaded to your application; do not mail official transcripts to our office. For more information, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page;
- Two letters of recommendation, submitted electronically. The BA/MA program requires only one letter of recommendation.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé
- A statement of purpose:
- For the Master's: Please upload a statement of purpose in essay form indicating your reasons for undertaking graduate study. What has attracted you to the specific field of computational linguistics/natural language processing? How much knowledge do you have about the sort of work done within this field, and where did you pick up this knowledge? Please be as detailed and complete as possible.
- In addition, in a separate section of the online application, applicants should be prepared to (1) List any previous courses taken, or a major or minor completed, in any of the following subject areas: Computer Science, Linguistics, Mathematics, and/or sciences other than Computer Science. (2) List any/all computer programming languages known and your level of knowledge (i.e. basic, moderate, advanced).
- For the BA/MA: In addition to the same as above, you should also discuss how you plan to complete your bachelor's degree requirements along with beginning master's coursework.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required for applicants to the MA program. Our ETS institution code is 3092. Applicants to the BA/MA program are not required to submit GRE scores.
International students: For additional requirements for international applicants (non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent residents), minimum TOEFL and IELTS scores, and important information regarding visas, please click here.
Master’s: For the fall semester (starts in late August): February 1st. (Note earlier deadline versus previous years!) Applicants may be considered after that date on a space-available basis, but no later than April 1.
BA/MA: Current undergraduates should apply for the BA/MA program during their sixth semester at Brandeis.