Information related to prorating housing and room charges, and registration
March 30, 2020
Dear Students and Families,
We know that with so much uncertainty regarding the economy there is a great deal of concern around family finances and expenditures, and so we want to provide some information related to prorating charges for housing and dining services for students who have left campus.
Prorated adjustments to student accounts will be calculated based on the date that students checked out with the Department of Community Living (DCL). The checkout date is the date of departure as reported by students on their checkout envelope, OR by the staff during inspections if a key envelope was not turned in. These calculations are already underway, as all students who did not receive permission to stay on campus have left. If the process described below goes smoothly, we expect students’ accounts to be updated by April 13, with some students’ accounts being updated as soon as this week.
Here's how adjustments to dining charges are being calculated:
- First, the dollar value of the points associated with the plan will be deducted from the plan. For example, for a 12-meal plan that costs $3,415 for the semester, $850 dollars (for 850 points) will be subtracted, for a starting amount of $2,565. (Points come with some dining plans and are a declining balance of funds that can be used at any dining retail location. One point equals one dollar.)
- The remaining cost of the plan will be prorated, depending on the day that students checked out. Students' accounts will then be adjusted for the prorated amount.
- Even though the value of a plan's points will be deducted, students will not lose unused points. Unused points will carry over to the fall semester and be valid for use through December.
- Graduating seniors can receive a payment for unused points. Seniors will be able to request the payment through Sage once it is calculated.
Here's how housing adjustments will be calculated:
- Housing prorations — including the pre-paid laundry allocation — will also be based on the checkout date.
- Need-based Brandeis scholarships will be adjusted based on the total room and board adjustment applied to the student’s account, and the percentage of total billed charges (i.e., tuition, mandatory fees, room and board) originally covered by need-based state, private, federal and Brandeis scholarships. For example:
- A student’s total room and board adjustment, calculated based on their move-out date, is $2,000.
- The student's need-based state, private, federal and Brandeis scholarships cover 75 percent of total original charges for tuition, room and board.
- The student’s need-based Brandeis scholarship will be reduced by 75 percent of the $2,000 adjustment, leaving a net adjustment of $500 (25 percent). Students will receive revised financial aid award letters that show this adjustment.
- Stipends for Community Advisors will be reduced dollar-for-dollar by the amount of the housing adjustment.
Here's how students can access their adjustment:
- The student account will be prorated for the appropriate room and board amounts and any required adjustments to need-based aid. This will be visible in the Student Account Center, which is accessed through Sage.
- Any credit balance can be applied to next semester's bill, applied to the next payment if the student is on a payment plan, or can be requested as a payment using the link in Sage.
- Direct deposit is recommended for students who wish to receive payment; however, students may request a check be sent to their address of record (checks will not be sent to their mailboxes at Brandeis).
- Graduating seniors with a credit balance must request their payment through Sage.
In addition to this information about dining and housing, we also want you to know that we are lifting any holds that would have prevented students from registering for next semester’s classes due to late tuition or fees payments. Early registration for next fall will take place from April 20 through 24.
Questions about this process may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org; please note we cannot provide the amount of individual adjustments via email. As noted above, our goal is to reflect the adjustments in the Student Account Center by April 13 or sooner, but we ask for your patience as DCL, University Services and Student Financial Services work collaboratively on this effort while also serving students still remaining on campus as well as other student needs related to COVID-19.
Executive Vice President, Finance and Administration