Incoming First-Year Housing Medical Accommodations
Brandeis University has a policy for responding to requests for accommodation in the residence halls, based on medical, psychological or disability needs. We provide support services and reasonable accommodations to students who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Fair Housing Act. All accommodation requests must be submitted and approved annually.
The priority submission deadline for incoming first-year students to submit a complete Housing Medical Accommodations Request is June 1. A request is considered complete when we have received your Housing Medical Accommodations Request Form, the Medical Care Provider Verification Form and the 2020 Housing Application. Please note that request submissions that are completed after June 1 will receive consideration. Necessarily though, the process will be delayed and options for housing assignments are more constrained.
We accept accommodation requests at any time. However, we can only offer available spaces, so it is in the student’s best interest to follow the suggested deadlines in order to receive a placement before first-year housing placements are assigned. We make a strong effort to get students into housing that meets their needs, but are also located with other students from their class year.
The Review Committee must receive both the Request Form and the Verification Form before they will review a request. Please read the instructions for each form carefully.
COVID-19 Documentation Guidance
We understand that there may be delays in providing documentation due to medical offices being closed or over-taxed at this time. Unfortunately, in order to provide accommodations to students and create housing assignments for all of our incoming students in a timely manner, we are unable to move the priority submission deadline of June 1.
We are including the following guidelines in order to optimize our ability to review your request before housing assignments are made:
- Submit the Housing Accommodations Request Form as soon as possible. This form is submitted by the student and lets our department know that you will be seeking accommodations and opens that line of communication.
- Follow the instructions in the Request Form Submission Confirmation Email about sending your medical care provider the link for the Medical Care Provider Verification Form and have them submit the form to us directly.
- If your care provider is not comfortable or unable to submit the electronic form, send your medical care provider this pdf version of the Verification Form. Please be sure to have them complete pages 1-5 and pages 11-15; pages 6-11 only need to be completed if there are multiple diagnoses. The provider can then return the completed form to you and you can submit the form using this secure Box Link.
- If you already have documentation of your condition, but your medical care provider is not able to complete the Verification Form you can submit the documentation you do have using this secure Box Link. We will reach out to you if additional documentation is still needed. Due to the extreme circumstances, the committee will consider documentation that is outside of the 12 or 6 month guideline for documentation where possible. Please submit the most recent records you have available.
- Please check the email account you list in your request form regularly, we will send all communication about your accommodations request to this account. If you have a Brandeis email account, please use this account. The student is responsible for responding to communications and following up appropriately within the process. This may include sending additional information or setting up Zoom or phone meetings to discuss your request.
- Please know that no medical accommodation requests will be denied without providing the student the opportunity to discuss the request with a member of the review committee and submit additional documentation, if that is what is needed.
Requests are reviewed by the Housing Medical Accommodations Review Committee. The committee includes staff representatives from the Health Center, the Brandeis Counseling Center, Student Accessibility Support, and the Department of Community Living. When necessary, the committee may consult with staff from Facilities Services or the Office of Equal Opportunity. The committee meets bi-weekly to review requests. For details about what is reviewed and considered by the committee, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Please note that our review process is not competitive. One student’s level of need is not weighed against the need of another student; each request is individually considered. We are limited in that we are only able to offer housing from our available rooms and in our first-year residence halls.
We ask that communication regarding a Medical Accommodation Request come from the student directly or that the student is CCed on all communications with our office (preferably using their Brandeis email account if they have one). One of the major shifts students experience in college vs K-12 education is that medical accommodations are provided on a system of self-advocacy. Due to the priority of privacy, ADA regulations for colleges and universities require self-disclosure by the student, as well as an interactive process. It is our hope that in going through our process students will develop helpful skills in communicating their needs.
As part of the interactive process, our department will reach out via email to the student with any communications regarding a request. Please make sure you are checking your email regularly and responding to requests in a timely manner.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Housing Medical Accommodations Process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO NOT SUBMIT ANY MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION VIA EMAIL, AS IT IS NOT A SECURE FORM OF COMMUNICATION. DOCUMENTATION RECEIVED VIA EMAIL WILL NOT BE OPENED OR REVIEWED.