Main Content

International Students - Information on Health Insurance

All students are required by law to have proof of immunization for measles (rubeola), German measles (rubella) and mumps. If you have these documents, bring them with you with English translations. If necessary, you can obtain these vaccinations at the Brandeis University Health Center. We advise getting immunized before arriving on campus. Waiting to be immunized at the Health Center will delay your ability to register for classes.

All individuals who reside in Massachusetts, including students, are required by law to have health insurance coverage. Brandeis University offers its students group health insurance coverage. Students may also buy their own insurance.

International Graduate Student Health Insurance

Brandeis University offers comprehensive group health insurance to its students. All international students will automatically be enrolled in the Qualifying Student Health Insurance Plan (QSHIP). This plan complies with the laws of the United States and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts regarding health insurance coverage. Being enrolled in QSHIP provides students with access to local physicians and medical facilities. Enrollment in the program is done annually. Alternatively, students may elect to enroll in one of the two Tufts Health Plans.

For international students, please note that only insurance carriers who have a business address in the United States can be accepted. In order to comply with the law, students will automatically be enrolled in and billed for the Brandeis insurance if no acceptable proof of insurance is presented to the Health Center. 

For more information, please contact Diana Baccari at the Health Center (781.736.3681 or She is in the office Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.