Main Content

Pre-Arrival Information for International Students

STEP 1- Obtaining a Form I-20/Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility) from Brandeis University

After being accepted to Brandeis University, you must complete the Brandeis International Business School (IBS) Visa Information/Declaration of Finances (VIDOF). The purpose of the VIDOF is to assist us in collecting information necessary to issue a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility). All incoming students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents must be issued either a Form I-20 (to apply for an F-1 student visa stamp) or a Form DS-2019 to apply for a J-1 student visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside of the United States. 

After an offer of admission is made, international students must complete and electronically submit the Brandeis IBS VIDOF. International students must also provide all required supporting documentation as specified on the VIDOF to the Brandeis IBS Office of Admissions. 

All supporting documents must be scanned and emailed to or mailed to:
Brandeis International Business School
Mail Stop - MA 032
Sachar International Center
Brandeis University
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02453-9110, USA

STEP 2- Paying the SEVIS Fee

Information regarding paying the required SEVIS fee will be provided to you at the time you receive the Brandeis Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Information regarding the SEVIS fee requirement is also available on the ISSO website. 

STEP 3- Applying for your U.S. Visa

As soon as you receive the Form I-20 or DS-2019, please schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately. Information regarding applying for your U.S. visa will be provided to you when you receive the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 from ISSO. Information regarding applying or your U.S. visa is also available on the ISSO website. Other websites are also available as a resource for learning more about student visas.

If you are denied a U.S. visa, please contact ISSO with detailed information about your visa denial. 

Important Note:

You will not be eligible to begin your classes at Brandeis IBS if you enter the U.S. with a Visitor's Visa (B-1 or B-2 status) or on the Visa Waiver Program. Should you enter the U.S. on the B-1/B-2 or through the Visa Waiver Program, you will be required to leave the U.S. and re-enter on the appropriate student or exchange visitor visa. Individuals currently in the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 visa should contact ISSO with additional questions. 

Transfer Student Issues and Procedures

A transfer of your SEVIS record requires communication between your current institution and the Brandeis ISSO. In order to create a seamless transition of your record, please inform ISSO of your current visa status when you submit the Brandeis IBS VIDOF.

A SEVIS transfer refers to one of these three scenarios:

  1. International students currently in the U.S. attending another institution (transferring to IBS from either an undergraduate program or another graduate program).
  2. International students currently in the U.S. on F-1 Optional Practical Training prior to beginning a program at Brandeis IBS.
  3. International students attending a summer program (i.e. English language program) in the U.S. prior to coming to Brandeis University. 
  4. Students transferring their SEVIS records to Brandeis will need to submit the Brandeis IBS Transfer-In Verification form. This form must be completed by both you and the International Student Advisor at your current institution. The form is available on the ISSO website

We recommend that you make an appointment with your current International Student Advisor to discuss your intent to transfer and to select an appropriate SEVIS release date.

Additional information regarding transferring SEVIS records to Brandeis University can be found on the ISSO website.