History and Mission

The library in spring with blooming flowers

Our History

Founded by the American Jewish community as a nonsectarian institution in 1948, when exclusionary practices prevented equal access to some of the nation's best universities, Brandeis University has always welcomed talented students and faculty of every ethnicity, religion and cultural background. A young institution, boldly conceived, it carries on the great traditions of learning at the highest levels of rigor and meaning, guided by a moral conviction rooted in the principles of inclusion and justice.

As Brandeis' ambitions grew, Graduate Professional Studies (GPS) emerged in 1992 to support the University in its mission of academic excellence and access by embracing continuous lifelong learning and development, regardless of a student's age, as well as the unconventional and creative values held by the institution.

Our Mission