Rise Together Mentor Network
The Rise Together Mentor is an online platform that joins Brandeis students and alumni from all over the world to make connections, exchange career advice, expand their network and learn more about industries, careers and the world of work.
Hosted on the Brandeis community platform, B Connect, Rise Together is similar to LinkedIn, but its users are solely made up of Brandeisians who have opted in to participate. So, no more sending cold emails to connections you do not know. Our alumni have indicated they want to help, YOU, the Brandeis student.
Students that join Rise Together:
- Gain access to a pool of over 500 dedicated alumni looking to foster career connections with you
- Get introduced to specific industries, roles and career fields of interest by joining subgroups
- Expand their range of career prospects and strategies
- Participate in online discussions and conversations as well as have the ability to ask specific questions
- Obtain access to exclusive Rise Together resources, activities and events
- Connect with alumni like you (search by location, desired industry, affinity group, on-campus involvement)
- Build confidence and skills in doing outreach, communicating and fostering relationships
*Once you join the B Connect community, you can access the Rise Together program under 'groups.'
**For additional information about how to log in and access the system, review these instructions.
If you are a Brandeis alum interested in participating in Rise Together, review our alumni site for more information.
Rise Together Alumni Champions
Meet the alums that are helping you to connect with other alumni. These champions have volunteered to represent the Rise Together Mentor Network by facilitating conversations, moderating discussions and providing leadership on the database.
The Brandeis Alumni Network is a vast community that strives to give back to current students. Learn how Roza Muluken-Azene '18 utilized making alumni connections at a Hiatt event to land her first job post-Brandeis.
Build a Jury of Your Peers - A Personal Board of Directors
Behind every successful person is a group of people invested in their journey and success. Rise Together helps you make alumni various connections so you can tap into a diverse network and receive valuable advice from those who believe in you and are willing to help.
Once you get settled into the program, consider building your board of directors with about three alumni that make up a variety of skills, experiences and backgrounds. You should be clear as to what your goals are, what your hope is in developing this relationship and how often you will communicate with them. Fostering meaningful connections with people that can help support you throughout your career journey is a vital step in the process.
To build more personalized connections as they relate to your background and interests, join the subgroups on Rise Together. Current subgroups include:
Outreach + Introduction
Get started by making the first move. Below are some tips for writing your introductory message as well as questions to ignite conversation.
One of the first things you will want to do is identify what your hopes are in creating these connections. What are your goals? What do you want the connection(s) to help you with? Once those are established, start doing your outreach.
- Email-Based Outreach: Short templates to inspire you as to what to write as an introductory message
- Informational Interviews: You can inquire about the potential of doing an informational interview with a connection. Informational interviews are person-to-person conversations that help you gain information, insight, and advice from people who are in the functional areas, industries, and companies that hold your interest.
- Start a discussion on a message board to get the conversation started. Examples:
- "What was your favorite internship at a consulting firm and why?"
- "What is the most underrated skill in business?"
- "What club or organization on campus had a great impact on your career path?"
One-On-One Questions To Ask
Building valuable relationships and connections as it relates to your career is a two-way street. As the student, it is important for you to be proactive in doing outreach and fostering those connections for as long as you deem necessary.
Rise Together Connections Are Not:
- Placements for jobs and internships
- A one-stop for all of your career needs. The Hiatt Career Center should be your primary source of support as it relates to all aspects of your career goals (application materials, graduate school essays, etc.)
- One-sided. As a student, it is your responsibility to drive the process. It should be considered an active, learning exchange.
- Transactional. Rise Together gives you the ability to practice making connections and fostering relationships. You should have the intention to build an environment that is conversational and informative.
- Required to meet in-person. Alumni and students around the world are encouraged to participate virtually.