First Generation Students
The Hiatt Career Center recognizes that first-generation students bring a breadth of experience, knowledge, and skills including initiative, persistence, focus, motivation, self-awareness, resilience, responsibility, independence, resourcefulness, risk-taking, and problem-solving. We are here to support your successful college experience.
As the first member of your family to attend college, your experience at Brandeis may include challenges that are different than other students.
While at Brandeis, we encourage you to:
- Build connections. You have a unique story; share it with others who can serve as career mentors or cheerleaders. Developing connections will help you learn about different careers, give you insights into the internship and job search, and develop your network. Faculty, advisors, supervisors, alumni, and peers can all be great resources people to connect with.
- Ask questions. Every student need to learn how things are done at a new school. We encourage you to ask questions of other students, faculty and staff members.
- Gain experience. A college degree is only part of what you’ll need for career success. Join clubs, volunteer, or get an on-campus job. In addition, Hiatt can work with you to explore opportunities and learn about different types of work and environments.
- Acknowledge your strengths and accomplishments. You’ve already been successful navigating the college application process! Have confidence knowing that these skills will help you move forward in your academics and career.
- I'm First: an online community providing first generation college students with the inspiration, information, and support on the road to and through college.
- First Gen Nonprofits: links to nonprofits dedicated to helping first generation students.
- FirstGen Fellows: a 10-week summer program in the D.C. area for undergraduate students who are passionate about pursuing careers in social justice.
- First In The Family: provides educational information from first generation college students, for first generation college students.
- CollegeBoard: What It’s All About and Why it Matters
- US News & World Report: Tips For First Generation Students
- Chronicle of Higher Education: First-Generation Students Need Help in Straddling Their 2 Cultures
Answers to Common Questions
MEET WITH US
Hiatt is here to help you navigate the process of exploring career options and making decisions about where to begin. Schedule a meeting with us to talk about questions including:
- How do my interests and skills align with different career options?
- What is networking and how do I get started?
- How can I connect with alumni in my interest area?
- What is the process for applying to graduate or law school?
- What have Brandeis graduates done immediately after graduation?
- How do I go about finding internships and jobs?
- Or just to check in.