Health Insurance for J-1 Scholars

All J-1 Exchange Visitors in the U.S. must purchase medical insurance for themselves and their dependents for the duration of their stay which meets U.S. federal requirements [22 CFR 62.14]. 

Please note, the information on this page applies to J-1 scholars (faculty, researchers, visiting scholars). If you are a J-1 student, please refer to our information on Student Health Insurance.

J-1 and J-2 Health Insurance Requirements

  1. Medical benefits of at least US$100,000 per accident or illness;
  2. Repatriation of remains in the amount of US$25,000;
  3. Expenses for medical evacuation of the visitor to his/her home country in the amount of US$50,000;
  4. A deductible not to exceed US$500 per accident or illness.


Coverage that includes costs associated with pregnancy is also strongly recommended. 

Policy Ratings Requirements

An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.

Maintaining Your Health Insurance

All J-1 and J-2 visa holders will need to confirm that they have from home, or will purchase, health insurance coverage that meets these requirements to maintain their immigration status. Maintenance of health insurance coverage, for oneself and dependent family members, is the responsibility of the J-1 Exchange Visitor.

Cost of Care

Medical services in the United States are expensive. A trip to the emergency room or hospitalization can result in large bills for those without adequate health insurance coverage. If your dependent family members do not have sufficient medical insurance coverage from their home country that extends to the United States, they will need to purchase appropriate insurance to cover them while they are living in Massachusetts.

Short-Term Plans

Short-term insurance plans can be purchased in a variety of plan lengths specifically for visiting the United States.

Brandeis Employee Health Insurance

Those J-1 visa holders eligible for the Brandeis Employee Health Plan are reminded that those plans do not include coverage for the required medical evacuation and repatriation. The ISSO will provide information on a separate medical evacuation/repatriation "rider" (through an outside company, that the J-1 visa holder can enroll in on their own). The combination of the Brandeis Employee Health Plan and the medical evacuation/repatriation rider will, together, meet the J visa health insurance requirements.