Sent by the University Librarian, July 29, 2020
I am pleased to announce that effective August 3, the Library will begin to allow in-person access to Library resources via an appointment structure. This is in addition to our current contactless pick up service. As with all aspects of the fall semester, these plans will be subject to change depending on campus and public health metrics.
Pick Up Information
Details for the Pick Up and Ship to Home service are available on the Library website. To improve this service contactless pick up lockers will be installed in Upper Usdan in mid-August. These secure lockers will replace the current pick-up location outside the Usdan door.
Starting Monday, August 3, Brandeis faculty and researchers who have completed the COVID-19 training module (details forthcoming from the Provost) can make appointments via email with the following library departments:
- Archives and Special Collections
- Requests for appointments for individual consultation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Research, Technology, and Innovation (RTI)
- Appointments can be made for physical access to the MakerLab and Automation Lab, while access to the Digital Scholarship Lab will continue through virtual desktops. RTI staff will work with users to offer virtual/remote access whenever possible; if virtual/remote access is not a solution, staff will work to find a time for an onsite appointment. Send appointment requests to email@example.com.
- Sound and Image Media Studios
- Public Services
- Email requests for appointments to browse the collection or use microfilm scanners to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building Hours for the Fall Semester from August 26
During the fall semester, hours and occupancy will be reduced, and there will be special precautions for handling materials. Starting August 26, the Library will be open to all members of the Brandeis community with the following hours:
7:30 a.m.-8 p.m., Monday-Friday,
9 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, and
11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday
Entrance and Exit Changes
Two doors, Usdan-facing and Farber, will be designated as entrances. The Plaza door will be designated as an exit. Signs will mark the flow of traffic throughout the building. People will use the card swipes at the doors when entering the building.
To address the needs of users while maintaining shorter building hours, reserves will remain digital and be available online only, printing services will be distributed across campus, after-hour contactless pick-up will be available at the lockers in Usdan, and extended virtual research help will be available.
As is true for the rest of the university, masks will be mandatory for all users of the library, as well be the other public health procedures laid out in Brandeis Plans for Fall 2020.
Please continue to share questions and concerns with me as we continue to look for safe and innovative ways to serve the scholarship and creative work of the Brandeis community.
BNC University Librarian