What is SHARES?
Brandeis Library's membership in the OCLC Research Library Partnership SHARES program enables students, faculty, and staff to visit over 100 member libraries around the world. SHARES partner libraries include top research libraries, national libraries, art museums, and law libraries. To visit a SHARES library, simply present your Brandeis ID to any of the SHARES libraries to gain building access. Some restrictions apply; check the complete list of SHARES institution and their local policies.
What is the SHARES On-Site Borrowing Pilot Program?
In addition to accessing any of the SHARES Partner Institutions, a small number of SHARES libraries are offering the opportunity to borrow materials. Partners in the pilot program are:
- Brandeis University
- Cornell University
- Northwestern University
- Syracuse University
- Temple University
- University of California Los Angeles
- Washington University in St. Louis
Are you looking to visit a partner in the On-Site Borrowing Program?
To obtain borrowing privileges from a library in the On-Site Borrowing Program, Brandeis members must:
- Complete and submit the SHARES application online.
- The Brandeis Library will verify your status with Brandeis and forward your application to the SHARES institution for which you plan to visit.
- You will receive a confirmation email from the SHARES institution with details about when you can pick up your library card.
Are you visiting Brandeis from a SHARES institution?
If you are planning to simply visit the Brandeis Library, we are open to the public. No I.D. is required to enter.
If you are visiting from one of the On-Site Borrowing pilot institutions and would like to borrow materials from Brandeis locally, follow the steps below to set up a Brandeis library account.
- Start the application process at your home institution.
- Your home institution will submit your completed SHARES Reciprocal Borrowing Program Application to Brandeis Library.
- Brandeis will contact you directly when your SHARES application has been received and processed.
- Visit the Information & Borrowing Desk on the first floor of Goldfarb Library during operating hours.
- Present a government issued photo ID card (passport, driver's license)
- A Brandeis Library Card will NOT be issued without an approved application from your home institution; please make arrangements with your library before coming to Brandeis.
- Your Brandeis Library Card will:
- Be valid for one year from the issuing date.
- Allow physical access and borrowing of circulating books and DVDs at Brandeis Library.
- Allow you to check out up to twenty items for 10 weeks with one renewal.
- Items can be returned at either Brandeis or your home institution's library