1997-98 University Bulletin Entry for:

The College of Arts and Sciences

S = Admission to the College of Arts and Sciences

The University selects new students each year on the basis of merit, admitting those individuals whom it believes to be best prepared academically and personally for the University's educational program and most likely to contribute to and profit from the life of the Brandeis community. Although it chooses a class varied in its interests, talents, and experience, it uses no quotas of any kind--geographic, racial, religious, or economic.

In its evaluation of candidates, the admissions office weighs evidence of accomplishment and development; school and teacher statements based on previous study and experience; relevance to the application of test results; and impressions gained through the application.

T = Admission Requirements for Freshman Candidates

To be considered for freshman admission a candidate should be enrolled in a college preparatory course of study. Students planning to enter college before the completion of their secondary school programs, veterans, or other persons with equivalency diplomas or special school backgrounds should write directly to the dean of admissions regarding their interest and experience.

An adequate course in preparation for Brandeis should include four years of English; three years of a foreign language, including study during the senior year whenever possible (two years each of two languages is acceptable but less desirable); three years of college preparatory mathematics (prospective science concentrators should present a year of advanced mathematics); at least one year of science (chemistry, physics, or biology); and one year of history. The remaining courses should generally be in traditional college preparatory studies. It is recognized, however, that courses in the creative arts are of value to students intending to concentrate in these fields in college.

The Scholastic Aptitude Test ("SAT I" and "SAT II: Subject Tests") of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) are regarded by the Committee on Admissions as one of several factors in one's candidacy and as a method of evaluating the qualifications of candidates from different schools and areas. All candidates must take the SAT I and three SAT II: Subject Tests, one of which must be SAT II: Writing Test. The other two are of the student's own choosing. We recommend that all candidates take the SATs in their senior year in order to present the best possible testing results. All tests should be completed by the end of January of the senior year. Students may submit results from the American College Testing Program (ACT) in lieu of College Entrance Examination Board testing.

Full information concerning testing may be obtained from secondary school guidance counselors or directly from the agencies administering the exams. For information on the SAT I and SAT II: Subject Tests, contact the College Entrance Examination Board, Box 592, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, or Box 1025, Berkeley, California 94707. For information on the ACT, write the American College Testing Program, Box 168, Iowa City, Iowa 52243. The candidate should direct the CEEB or ACT offices to report scores to the dean of admissions.

T = Early Decision

Freshman candidates who, after careful consideration of various college options, have decided firmly that Brandeis is their first choice, are encouraged to apply for admission under the Early Decision Plan. Early Decision candidates and their college counselors must sign a statement on the application indicating that they understand the implications of the Early Decision Plan and that the student will enroll if admitted. Although Early Decision candidates may file regular applications to other colleges, it is with the understanding that those applications will be withdrawn when candidates are offered admission to Brandeis under the Early Decision Plan. All applications and supporting credentials for Early Decision must be received no later than January 1. Supporting credentials should include the SAT I and as many SAT II: Subject Tests as have been completed, or the ACT. Early Decision applicants will be notified of a decision within four weeks of the receipt of a completed application. Candidates not accepted under Early Decision will automatically be considered in the regular review period for the April notification date. Further detailed information about the Early Decision Plan is contained in the admissions application packet.

T = Admission Requirements for Transfer Candidates

The Committee on Admissions welcomes applications from individuals whose promise and prior attainment is in keeping with the opportunity for a continuation of concentrated scholarly study at Brandeis. Whenever desired, applicants will be granted a conference with a faculty member in the area of academic interest. Some financial aid is reserved annually for transfer candidates.

Transfer admission is granted solely in keeping with the University's degree requirement of a minimum of two years of full-time study. To be considered for admission, a candidate should present, in applying, evidence of good standing (academically and personally) in his or her preceding college and sound reasons for wishing to transfer.

In its selection of transfer candidates, the Committee on Admissions gives major consideration to the quality of college-level work completed and some consideration to further evidence of promise for achievement at Brandeis based on the secondary school record, personal evaluations by the appropriate dean and an instructor, and testing and information conveyed by the candidate. Candidates should submit either Scholastic Aptitude Test or ACT scores from testing completed either during secondary school or by April of the year of application.

T = Admission of International Students

International applicants should request application materials from the Office of Admissions. To be considered for admission as an international student, a candidate should have successfully completed a pre-university program (the duration of which was at least 12 years) with strong results on nationally administered examinations where applicable. Undergraduate applicants whose native tongue is English are required to take the SAT I and SAT II: Subject Tests administered by the Educational Testing Service at centers throughout the world. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required of applicants who are not native speakers of English.

The deadline for receipt of international applications is January 1 for enrollment the following September. The deadline for spring semester admission is November 1. Candidates for September admission are encouraged to apply for financial aid through the Wien International Scholarship Program, which is described below. No financial aid is available for international candidates for spring semester admission.

The Wien International Scholarship Program, created in 1958 by Lawrence A. and Mae Wien, is designed to further global understanding, provide international students with opportunities for study in the United States, and enrich the intellectual and cultural life of the Brandeis campus.

The program permits the University to offer undergraduate awards each year to outstanding incoming students. The scholarships are based on academic excellence and will cover the cost of tuition, fees, and a stipend for books. Loan funds and an on-campus job will cover additional costs for room, board, and personal maintenance, to meet the full need of each individual scholar. In no case will a scholarship awarded to an international student include funds for travel expenses. Awards are made for a single year to degree candidates and may be renewed annually upon application to the Wien International Scholarship Program Committee.

T = International Visiting Scholar (IVIS) Program

Undergraduate applicants may also be accepted as special students who apply for this "year abroad" in order to enhance and complement work taken in their own countries. These students return to their home universities when their year at Brandeis has been completed. The IVIS Program was inaugurated in 1986 to allow exceptional students from abroad to broaden their acquaintance with American culture and society. Students who can make a significant contribution to the diversity of life on the Brandeis campus will be admitted for a year of full-time study in any discipline. They will be expected to live in campus housing and participate enthusiastically in campus activities.

IVIS Scholars must currently be university students (or eligible to enter university) and have a fluent command of English and a solid record of academic achievement in the home country. They must show evidence of leadership in the activities of their school, university, or community at home and must demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt readily to new challenges. IVIS Scholars must also have a strong interest in learning about America and American life, so that they can profit from and contribute to the Brandeis campus community.

Brandeis University will provide a full tuition waiver for IVIS Scholars, but they will be responsible for all other expenses connected with the year, including on-campus room and board, fees, books, personal costs, and travel. Awards will be made for a single year only and are not renewable under any circumstances.

T = Brandeis Adult Student Option

The Committee on Admissions welcomes applications from adult students who are interested in pursuing their B.A. degree at Brandeis. For a candidate who has been out of high school or college for a number of years, the Committee on Admissions looks for evidence--recent course work (noncredit or credit), work, or volunteer experience--that the applicant has remained intellectually curious and highly motivated. Transcripts from recent course work are particularly helpful in providing documentation. Letters of recommendation from teachers, supervisors, or colleagues, a personal statement and a personal interview give further evidence of promise for achievement at Brandeis. No standardized testing is required but a candidate may submit official testing if he or she desires.

Brandeis adult students may pay on a course-by-course basis taking as few as one or as many as five-and-a-half courses per semester (see tuition section for the rate per course). In order to receive the baccalaureate, they must meet all degree requirements, except rate-of-work requirements, that apply to full-time students. Credit will be given for course work done elsewhere if it meets University transfer credit criteria.

Candidates interested in the Brandeis Adult Student Option should apply by April 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester.

T = Special Student Status

The University accepts as Special Students for the fall and spring semesters a small number of persons who are not candidates for a degree at Brandeis and who wish to elect one or more courses for which they are qualified and can demonstrate special need. This would include students who are degree candidates at another college or university wishing to attend Brandeis as visiting students. Special Student status is subject to approval on an individual and semester basis. Students whose academic performance does not meet Brandeis standards may be denied permission to register for a second semester. Neither residence nor financial aid is available to Special Students, and no special student may take precedence over a degree candidate in any limited enrollment course. Please note that international students in Special Student status must enroll for a full course of study.

Persons interested in special student status should apply by July 15 for the fall semester and by December 1 for the spring semester.

T = Credit for College-Level Work Done in High School

Students may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree for college-level work taken during American high school study (grades 9-12) or before entering Brandeis as freshmen. Such courses must be offered by accredited post-secondary institutions; designed for and accessible to regular college students and taught by instructors whose institutional responsibilities are primarily at the post-secondary level; acceptable for degree credit at the host institution; and comparable to Brandeis courses in content, scope, and level of instruction, as judged by Brandeis faculty. To receive credit for courses taken at institutions other than Brandeis, the student must achieve grades of B- or higher, as certified by an official college transcript received by Brandeis, must not have applied the credit toward high school graduation requirements, and must petition through the Office of the University Registrar. Courses which are considered credit worthy by sponsoring and cooperating colleges and universities may not meet Brandeis requirements.

T = Advanced Placement

Brandeis University participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Qualifying scores necessary to receive credit are recommended by the academic departments to their school councils and administered by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Generally, especially in the sciences, advanced placement credit may not be applied toward satisfaction of a field of concentration. However, it may permit students to begin work in a field at a higher level. Advanced placement credit may be applied toward satisfaction of University degree requirements in the chart on pages 19 and 20.

Unlike some other languages, there is no advanced placement exam in Hebrew. Therefore, the Hebrew Program at Brandeis offers students who are nonnative, have studied Hebrew in high school, have had no college-level courses, and have demonstrated advanced knowledge in the Brandeis Hebrew placement exam, an opportunity to take an additional exam for credit. Upon successful completion of that exam, a student will receive one course credit. This opportunity is available to students only at the time they first enter Brandeis University.

Students who receive qualifying scores and wish to apply eventually for Brandeis course credit must contact the College Entrance Examination Board and request that their scores be reported to the Coordinator of Advanced Placement, Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Brandeis University, MS 001, P.O. Box 9110, Waltham, Massachusetts 02254-9110. Brandeis University's school code number is 3092. Requests for additional information on the Advanced Placement Program should be addressed similarly.

Students who apply Advanced Placement credits to the Brandeis degree may not enroll in courses here or elsewhere that are regarded as equivalent without experiencing the revocation of the Advanced Placement credit. Course equivalents are determined by the academic departments and posted by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. Any questions about the use of Advanced Placement credit should be directed to the coordinator in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

T = International Baccalaureate

Brandeis recognizes the International Baccalaureate (taken abroad or in the United States) and will award eight course credits (one full year) for a total of 30 points on the baccalaureate examination. This must include three examinations at Higher Level with grades of five or better. If a student has a total of less than 30 points or has fewer than three acceptable Higher Level examinations, Brandeis will award two course credits for each Higher Level examination with a grade of five or better. Students are obliged to supply an official copy of their credential to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation.

T = Credit for Foreign School-Leaving Examination

International students are obliged to supply the results of their advanced secondary school examinations to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation. Brandeis accepts credit toward the B.A. degree for a number of such examinations, including the British Advanced Level examinations, the German Abitur, the French baccalaurÈat and others; credit is contingent upon level of performance and details may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar. Credit from such sources will not be applied to the Brandeis record until the student has completed two semesters at the University. Students may not enroll in courses deemed equivalent to the foreign work without loss of the foreign credit.

T = Transfer Credit Policies

Transfer students are obliged to supply official transcripts documenting all previous college-level work. All such work is evaluated and each incoming transfer student is furnished by the registrar with an evaluation based upon existing faculty policies. The evaluation will indicate the number of course credits granted and the number of degree requirements that have been met. No more than 16 course credits may be granted because residence requirements specify that a minimum of 16 courses in four semesters must be successfully completed at Brandeis.

Courses must have been taken at accredited, degree-granting institutions from which an official transcript has been received. The courses must be generally equivalent to courses offered at Brandeis, and the grade received must be equivalent to at least a C-, though credit is usually awarded for a "pass" grade in a system allowing non-letter grades. Occasionally, credit may be awarded conditionally, pending successful completion of a year at Brandeis. Only selected overseas study programs are acceptable for Brandeis credit; for further details on the transfer of credit from overseas study sources consult the Office of the University Registrar. Students may not be concurrently enrolled at Brandeis during a term in which transfer credit is sought, except as allowed under the provisions of cross-registration.

Credit is granted on an equivalent semester basis with four course credits being awarded for completion of a normal semester's work at the other institution. Normally, one quarter-course receives no credit, two quarter-courses are granted one course credit, and three quarter-courses are awarded two course credits.

Students who do not initially receive credit for a particular course taken at another institution may petition the registrar for reconsideration. Such a petition requires the signature of the appropriate Brandeis faculty member and must indicate the Brandeis course to which it is considered equivalent. In an unusual situation, the petition may be referred to the Committee on Academic Standing for final resolution.

In determining progress toward the requirements of a field of concentration, departments may consider only non-Brandeis courses that have been accepted for degree credit. Departments may limit the number of such courses that they will apply toward the concentration. Rules governing the application of transfer credit to concentrations may differ from department to department.

T = Application and Admissions Procedures

For the most current information regarding admissions procedures and deadline dates, prospective candidates should consult the instructions accompanying the application.

The address for the forwarding of all inquiries, materials, and test results is:

Brandeis University

Office of Admissions

MS 003

P.O. Box 9110

Waltham, Massachusetts 02254-9110

Telephone: 781-736-3500 or 800-622-0622

S = Financial Aid

Brandeis maintains a substantial aid program consisting of grants, loans, and jobs. Over 50 percent of the students enrolled at Brandeis receive University assistance. The staff of the Office of Financial Aid is available to assist parents and students in planning to finance four years of undergraduate education.

Financial aid is awarded after a careful analysis of the family's ability to support the student's costs of education. The analysis is based on the information submitted by the family on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Financial Aid PROFILE. The student's eligibility for assistance is determined using a federally mandated system. Standard adjustments approved by the Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid are made to the federal system for the awarding of institutional funds. Included in the analysis is the ability of the parent(s) and the student to contribute from current income and assets. The difference between a family's ability to support the student and the actual costs of education is determined to be the student's financial need. Within funding limitations, the Office of Financial Aid will usually meet the established need through a financial aid "package" consisting of grant, loan, and job assistance.

T = Financial Aid Policy

1. Students receiving grant aid will usually be expected to assume loan and work obligations as part of a self-help package determined annually by the Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid. The work allocation takes into consideration the student's year in college. Students may request increased loan and decreased work if loan funds are available.

2. Financial aid applicants are required to apply for the federal Pell Grant and state scholarship programs where available. Brandeis is unable to replace with University funds non-University aid that students are eligible to receive, but for which they fail to apply.

3. Brandeis's policy on awards from sources other than the University requires that awards received from federal and state programs result in a dollar for dollar reduction in the Brandeis Grant. All initial awards received from nongovernmental sources, even if based on criteria exclusive of need, result in reductions as follows: no student receiving need-based or merit-based aid from Brandeis will be permitted to keep outside awards in excess of the academic year's student budget. The first $1,000 of outside award(s) can be used to reduce self-help in the financial aid package. Upon receipt of notification of the outside award(s), the Office of Financial Aid will replace up to $1,000 of the work allotment in the package. If students prefer reduction of the packaged loan, they may so advise a financial aid counselor. Any amount of (an) outside award(s) in excess of $1,000 will reduce grant dollar for dollar.

The above policy will be applied to outside awards received by any Brandeis student regardless of class year. All awards should be reported in writing to the Office of Financial Aid.

4. All students must reapply for financial aid each year. Applications, including a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a CSS Financial Aid PROFILE for the next academic year, are distributed by the Office of Financial Aid during intersession. The deadline for applying for renewal of financial aid is April 1. While it is expected that financial assistance will be continued each year of the recipient's undergraduate enrollment, the FORM and/or AMOUNT may change in subsequent years to reflect changes in financial need, federal and University funding, and other circumstances.

Failure to utilize the previous year's self-help allocation (loan and/or work) may be considered an indication of reduced student need. Increase in work and loan should be anticipated. Grant will usually increase when calculated need increases.

5. New students who accept the University's offer of financial aid must provide verification of the previous year's income before their award can be credited. Verification includes copies of student and parent tax returns or Non-Filer's Statements.

Students requesting renewal of financial aid must submit verification of incomes with other application materials before an award can be made.

6. Federal regulations require that a student receiving federal assistance make satisfactory academic progress in accordance with standards set by the University. Brandeis delegates the responsibility to monitor academic progress to the Committee on Academic Standing and charges it to make such determinations on the basis of individual merit, and not in relationship to some arbitrary numerical standard. The committee thoroughly reviews the records of students whose performance was unsatisfactory, i.e., more than one D and/or one or more E or F, at the conclusion of each semester. Students whose progress has been judged unsatisfactory and whose withdrawal has been required by the Committee on Academic Standing shall be accorded a reconsideration by that body in the presence of new information, judged to be relevant by the dean of the college or his/her designee. Should a required withdrawal action be rescinded on appeal, financial aid eligibility shall be reinstated. Any student permitted by the committee to register for the following semester is considered to be making academic progress and is eligible for financial aid from federal and University sources. However, since an ability to complete the degree within eight semesters is a measure commonly applied by the committee in making these determinations, students are advised to consult the sections of the current University Bulletin pertaining to class standing (under Academic Regulations).

T = Loans

1. Perkins Loans (formerly National Direct Student Loan)--Interest is not charged and repayments are not expected while the recipient is enrolled. During repayment, interest is at the rate of five percent per year, and repayment may be made over a 10-year period (with a $90 minimum quarterly payment). Cancellation of a portion of the aggregate loan is available for service as a teacher of the handicapped, or in a low-income school district. The number of Perkins Loans is limited and reserved for the most needy students.

2. Direct Stafford Loan Program (formerly Guaranteed Student Loan Program [GSL])--This program enables eligible undergraduate students to borrow up to $2,625 during the first year, $3,500 during the second year, and $5,500 per year during the third and fourth years. All students, regardless of family income, must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a CSS Financial Aid PROFILE, and Verification Form for Stafford Loan eligibility. Students are notified of their eligibility on their Notification of Financial Aid.

Interest and repayment are deferred while the borrower attends college at least half-time. Six months after leaving school, the borrower begins a 10-year repayment period during which time interest is charged to the student. Consult the financial aid office for the current interest rate.

The terms of the above loan programs are subject to federal legislation and may be changed. Additional current information is available from the Office of Financial Aid upon request.

T = Student Employment

The student employment section of the Office of Financial Aid seeks to provide work opportunities to students seeking work on campus and in the Waltham area. This service is available to students, regardless of whether or not they are receiving financial aid. Students who receive job allotments as part of their financial aid package will have priority for jobs but many non-aided students find campus employment. Potential job earnings are not deducted from billed charges from the University at the beginning of each term. Students receive paychecks based on hours worked.

T = Financial Aid to Transfer Students

Financial aid is available for students entering Brandeis as transfer students from other institutions of higher education. Applicants who could not afford to attend Brandeis without financial assistance should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and a CSS Financial Aid PROFILE. The application for financial aid is due at the same time as the application for admission.

S = Fees and Expenses

T = Financial Regulations

Any student with outstanding financial obligations may be denied the privileges of attending classes and using University facilities. Every student must satisfy his or her financial obligations in full to the University in order to receive certification of graduation. Official transcripts and certifications may be withheld until financial obligations to the University have been discharged. Failure to discharge financial obligations includes, but is not limited to, delinquency of a borrower in repaying a loan administered by the student loan office and the inability of that office to collect such a loan because the borrower has discharged the indebtedness through bankruptcy proceedings.

T = Application, Matriculation, and Orientation Fees

Each application for first year or transfer admission must be accompanied by a fee of $50. All application fees are nonrefundable and cannot be credited toward other fees.

A matriculation deposit of $300 must be filed by each candidate upon notification of acceptance. This deposit reserves a place in the class and is credited toward the first semester tuition bill. If the student fails to enroll or withdraws his or her application, the matriculation deposit is forfeited.

All new students are charged a mandatory $75 orientation fee, which is refundable only if the student cancels matriculation prior to the date of registration. All new students who commence study at midyear will be charged a $25 orientation fee.

T = Tuition

The tuition fee for 1997-98 is $22,360 and the fee for each semester course required for degree credit is $2,795.

Library privileges and use of athletic facilities for the academic year are included in the full tuition fee.

Students who return to the University after withdrawing will pay the prevailing tuition and other fees. In view of the constantly increasing costs of education, students may expect tuition increases during their academic careers.

T = Financial Implications of Course Load Variation

Extra tuition charges are not incurred when course loads are within maximum rate of work limits, nor are charges reduced or refunds applied for course loads below the normal rate of work. Students who are granted special permission by the Committee on Academic Standing to undertake course schedules in excess of maximum rate of work limits will incur extra tuition charges calculated at the per course tuition rate for the year in which the course is taken.

Questions regarding the financial implications of course load variation should be directed to the Office of the University Registrar. Questions regarding the billing schedule should be directed to the student accounts office.

T = Room and Board Fee

The total charges for a dormitory room and a 14-meal per week board contract for the 1997-98 academic year are $6,970. Other meal contract options are available.

For upperclass students, other living accommodations are available at annual rates ranging to $1,040 more than the dormitory room rate of $3,890. In one of the apartment complexes, occupants are, additionally, directly responsible for pro rata portions of the monthly utility bills.

Each entering first-year student must mail a deposit of $200 to the University with his or her completed residence license and meal contract. Returning upperclass students must make their advance deposits of $200 during the spring room drawing.

Students residing in dormitory rooms must sign room licenses and board contracts binding for the full academic year. Students residing in either of the apartment complexes must sign room licenses binding for the full academic year; board contracts are available to, but not required of, these students.

Nonresident students may eat in the University dining halls on a cash basis.

T = Transcript Fee

Students are entitled to one formal transcript of their academic work without charge. A charge of $2 will be made for each subsequent transcript. The student will pay the transcript fee in advance at the Office of the University Registrar (Kutz Hall). Official transcripts will be issued only to those students whose financial records with the University are in order.

T = Other Fees

The following are other mandatory annual fees for 1997-98:

1. Student Activities fee, $156.

2. Student Health Service fee, $335.

3. Health Insurance premium (single coverage), $665. Mandatory unless proof of other coverage is provided.

There are other University fees that a student may incur for specific services or failure to meet commitments. These fees include but are not limited to the following for 1997-98:

1. Laboratory fees, $15-$50.

2. Studio fees, $10-$60.

3. Medical school application processing fee, $50.

4. Nine-payment plan fee, $100.

5. Parking fees, $35-$150.

6. Study abroad fee, $300 (semester) or $500 (academic year).

7. Senior fee, $22.

8. A service fee will be charged to a studentÌs account if a payment or a check negotiated through Brandeis is returned by the bank for any reason.

A complete list of all University fees is available upon request from the Office of the Bursar and the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences.

S = Payment Plans

T = Semester Plan

The first semester bill will be issued during July and payment will be due on or before August 4, 1997; the second semester bill will be issued during November and payment will be due on or before January 2, 1998.

T = Nine-Payment Plan

Knight College Resource Group handles our Nine Month Payment Plan. The application and a nonrefundable handling fee of $100 must be returned to Knight by June 10, 1997. The payment plan electronic withdrawals will begin on July 1, 1997.

T = Refunds

A student who leaves the University without the approval of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs is not entitled to a refund.

For approved or required leaves, withdrawals, suspensions, or dismissals, the date will be considered to be that which is approved by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

All requests for refunds must be in writing and are subject to review and final approval by the Office of Student Accounts.

Approved refunds follow this schedule:

1. Tuition Withdrawal

Before the opening day of instruction: 100% of semester tuition.

On or before the second Friday following the opening day of instruction: 75% of semester tuition.

On or before the fifth Friday following the opening day of instruction: 50% of semester tuition.

After the fifth Friday following the opening day of instruction: no refund.

2. Other Fees

There is no refund of any other fee after the first day of instruction of either semester.

3. Room and Board Charges

Refund of room and board contract charges are determined in accordance with the terms outlined in the contract.

4. Financial Aid

When a student with federal financial aid withdraws during the period in which he or she is eligible for a University refund, federal regulations require that the following formula be applied to their refund to determine how much should be refunded to federal aid programs:

Federal Aid for semester

Refund x (excluding College Work-Study)

Total Aid for semester

(excluding College Work-Study)

If the student received aid from other (private, state) sources, refunds to them will be made in accordance with the policy of the donor(s). In compliance with federal law, special refund arrangements apply to first-time students receiving aid under Title IV.

The refund remaining after any funds are returned to the federal and outside aid programs will be divided between the student and financial aid programs in the same ratio as these sources were credited to the student's account, e.g., if a student paid one-half the bill, one-half of the remainder, after repaying federal and other aid programs, will be refunded to the student and one-half to University aid programs from which the student received assistance.

In cases in which financial aid awards exceed the University's billed charges (e.g., for students who live off campus), upon withdrawal from the University, funds that were dispersed to support educationally related expenses (such as room and board and books) must be repaid on a prorated basis determined by the University.

Further information on refund policy for aided students and the calculation for any specific case is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

M = Requirements for the Undergraduate Degrees

All candidates for a bachelor's degree, regardless of date of entrance to Brandeis, must satisfactorily complete a field of concentration (major), a writing requirement, a foreign language requirement, a group of courses designed to provide a strong foundation in general education, and the physical education requirement. Students entering Brandeis in September 1994 and thereafter will follow a new curriculum that features modified requirements in foreign language and writing, and a new program of general foundation courses; the section at the back of this Bulletin with the patterned edge contains the courses that will satisfy these requirements. Students who entered prior to September 1994 will satisfy general University requirements as described in detail in the Bulletin in force in their first year as degree candidates at Brandeis; the section at the back of this Bulletin with the solid gray edge lists the courses that will satisfy the requirements for students who entered between the fall of 1989 and the spring of 1994. Clarification regarding University degree requirements may always be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

S = Residence Requirement

Brandeis offers the bachelor of arts and the bachelor of science degrees. Students are required to complete 32 semester courses. They must be in residence (i.e., be full-time students at Brandeis) for at least two academic years and complete successfully a minimum of 16 semester courses here, exclusive of Brandeis Summer School. While students may repeat, for the purpose of demonstrating a higher level of mastery, courses in which a passing grade already has been earned, such repeated courses do not yield additional credit toward the degree and are not applied toward the residency requirement. The 16 courses beyond those that must be taken at Brandeis may be earned through college-level work completed prior to registration at Brandeis, satisfactory scores on AP tests, study abroad, or summer school with no more than three semester courses completed in any summer.

S = The Schools of the University

Within the College of Arts and Sciences, courses are offered by academic departments to support educational programs and objectives that are departmental, interdisciplinary, and University-wide in scope. Academic departments reside in schools: the School of Creative Arts, the School of Humanities, the School of Science, and the School of Social Science. Because the organization of undergraduate degree requirements makes reference to this school structure, it is important that students familiarize themselves with it. The section below devoted to fields of concentration outlines the school membership of various academic departments. Most typically, the courses offered by a department will have membership in one school, that in which the department resides. Some courses, however, may have membership in more than one school. Also, some interdisciplinary areas do not fit neatly into a single school; individual courses within such areas may reside in different schools. The school membership of courses has been incorporated into the "requirement codes" appearing in the course listings. A legend for the codes may be found in the "Requirement Codes" section of this Bulletin. The course offering booklets published each fall and spring also indicate to which schools particular courses belong. If in doubt about the school membership of a particular course, consult the Office of the University Registrar.

S = Double Counting

In the new curriculum, it is intended that courses will serve multiple purposes in a student's program. Specifically, students are encouraged to satisfy some general University requirements (e.g., writing, quantitative reasoning, non-Western and comparative studies, clusters, and school distribution) in the context of completing a concentration, a minor, or a program.

However, some fields of concentration limit the degree of "double counting" between and among majors, minors, and programs. Students pursuing double concentrations, or other combinations of majors, minors, and programs are advised to consult with all appropriate undergraduate advisors to come to a mutually acceptable degree of overlap. Between and among general University requirements, the only limitations on double counting are as follows: University Seminars in Humanistic Inquiries are interdisciplinary in character; they do not have membership in any specific school of the University, nor do they participate in the cluster program. The three course foreign language sequence may not be applied toward the school distribution in the humanities. No single course in a student's program may satisfy both the quantitative reasoning requirement and the science component of the school distribution requirement. No course numbered in the 90s may apply toward the school distribution component. Finally, a single course may be used toward school distribution in only one school.

Students who entered Brandeis prior to the fall of 1994 may not double count courses toward general University requirements, and are limited as described above in terms of courses offered in satisfaction of multiple majors, minors, and programs.

S = New General University Requirements

(These requirements are for classes entering in the fall of 1994 and thereafter; earlier classes should see the section at the back of this Bulletin with the solid gray edge.)

In September 1994 the University introduced new requirements for the bachelor's degree. A strong, general education foundation will be built through work in a variety of interconnected elements. The fundamental goals of the program are to improve students' abilities to integrate knowledge from different fields; to provide more extensive opportunities for the acquisition and development of writing, linguistic, and quantitative skills; to introduce greater flexibility in the scheduling of degree requirements throughout the undergraduate career; and to expand students' opportunities to interact with faculty in small class settings in the first year of instruction.

The basic outline of the new structure is as follows:

T = A. The Cluster Program

All students will complete three interrelated semester courses from an approved "cluster," including selections from at least two different schools of the University: Creative Arts, Humanities, Science, and Social Science. The cluster program introduces students to the multidisciplinary study of a particular topic, theme, problem, region, or period. Courses offered as University Seminars in Humanistic Inquiries do not participate in the cluster program.

T = B. University Seminar in Humanistic Inquiries

All students in their first year will complete one semester course from this program. These courses enable participants to engage fundamental questions about human existence and meaning through the critical study of significant texts or artistic creations.

T = C. University Writing

All students will complete two components of the writing requirement: the University Writing Seminar and a writing intensive course.

All first-year students are required to take a University Writing Seminar, which is offered in conjunction with the University Seminars in Humanistic Inquiries. When students select their seminars, they will simultaneously enroll for the associated writing seminar. Writing seminars are designed to introduce students to the conventions of formal writing and rhetoric and to develop further writing skills at all levels of ability.

Over the summer, some students may be notified that they must take a placement test to determine their level of writing proficiency. Upon evaluation of the test, some students may be placed in Composition, a course taken in the fall semester. These students will then take their University Seminar in Humanistic Inquiries and its accompanying writing seminar in the spring semester.

Some students whose native language is not English may be required to take the Diagnostic English Language Examination in addition to the Writing Placement Examination. On the basis of this evaluation they may be assigned to a noncredit individual or group tutorial in English as a Second Language to supplement other writing courses. Transfer students may have their credits evaluated to see if they have successfully completed the necessary course to satisfy the first-year writing requirement. If they have not, they should see the Director of University Writing, in the English department, for alternative ways to complete this requirement.

Normally, in their second or third years, students will take a course that is designated writing intensive. These courses, which are offered in departments throughout the University, are based in academic disciplines and include writing as an integral part of the course work. They involve frequent writing assignments, opportunities for rewriting, and consultations with the instructor. Writing intensive courses may serve multiple purposes, advancing students toward majors, minors, clusters, programs, non-Western and comparative studies, or distribution requirements. Courses numbered in the 90s shall not be eligible for a writing intensive designation.

T = D. Quantitative Reasoning

All students will take one course that is designated as meeting the quantitative reasoning requirement. These courses from various disciplines share a commitment to enabling students to understand, interpret, analyze, and evaluate numerical data and other quantitative information.

T = E. Foreign Language

The foreign language requirement is met by successful completion of a third semester course (normally numbered in the 30s) in the introductory language sequence. No more than one course (and never the final one) in the sequence may be taken on the pass-fail grading option.

The foreign language requirement at Brandeis reflects a belief in the importance of understanding language--our own and the language of others--as central to society and culture. The goal of the foreign language requirement, therefore, is to prepare students to understand better and to participate in a foreign culture by developing basic skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) in another language.

Alternatively, the requirement may be satisfied by achieving a score of 4 or 5 on an appropriate Advanced Placement Test, by a score of 62 on the appropriate CEEB SAT II test, or by a satisfactory score on a foreign language placement test administered on campus in the fall. Local placement exams may be taken only at the time of matriculation at Brandeis. Students for whom English is a second language may be exempted from this requirement. Students who satisfy the requirement by means of an advanced placement score shall be accorded, upon request, appropriate credit toward the Brandeis degree. Students may also fulfill this requirement by demonstrating proficiency in American Sign Language through testing at a site approved by Brandeis.

Individual placement decisions vary depending on the quality of high school training, the level of performance, and how recently the language was studied. Foreign language placements are valid for one year only; subsequent placements are based on the mandatory placement examinations and consultation with the appropriate language coordinator. Students are urged to begin fulfilling the foreign language requirement as soon as they matriculate and to complete the required sequence without interruption.

T = F. Non-Western and Comparative Studies

Students will complete one semester course that examines some particular culture, society, or region of the non-Western world, or that systematically makes comparisons across cultural barriers. This requirement aims to enlarge students' understanding of human achievements and potentialities beyond the Western tradition.

T = G. School Distribution

Students will complete one semester course in each of the four Schools of the University: Creative Arts, Humanities, Science, and Social Science. Because "double counting" generally is encouraged, most students will satisfy the school distribution requirement in the context of others, e.g., in satisfying the requirements of a cluster, a concentration, a minor, or a program. Between and among general University requirements, the only limitations on double counting are as follows: University Seminars in Humanistic Inquiries are interdisciplinary in character, and have membership in no specific school of the University. The three course foreign language sequence may not be applied toward the humanities component of this requirement. No single course in a student's program may satisfy both the quantitative requirement and the science component of this requirement. No courses numbered in the 90s may apply toward this component. Finally, a single course may be used toward school distribution in only one school.

S = Field of Concentration

T = General Requirements

To obtain a bachelor's degree in the College of Arts and Sciences, students must complete the requirements of a field of concentration. Students are encouraged to choose an intended field of concentration after consultation with a faculty advisor in that department by the end of the first year, and required to do so by the middle of the sophomore year.

Certain departments permit qualified students to offer a limited number of related courses in other fields toward their concentration requirements. This option is open to students able to present a purposeful and coherent course of study as judged by the department; such requests are subject to rigorous examination. Students should consult individual departmental listing.

T = Completion of a Field of Concentration

To enroll in courses fulfilling concentration requirements, students must have received a C- or better in prerequisite courses.

A 2.00 (C) average is normally required in courses offered for completion of requirements for concentration.

T = School of Creative Arts

Courses in the School of Creative Arts teach the history of the visual and performing arts, engage students in the creative process itself, and develop artistic skills and aesthetic sensibilities. Requirements for concentration in each department are listed on the pages indicated.

L =

Fine Arts

L =


L =

Theater Arts

L =

Candidates for honors must have the approval of the appropriate department.

T = School of Humanities

The School of Humanities offers the undergraduate a systematic introduction to our literary and philosophical heritage. Requirements for concentration and honors are listed on the pages indicated.

L =

Classical Studies

L =

Comparative Literature

L =

English and American Literature

L =

European Cultural Studies

L =

French Language and Literature

L =

German Language and Literature

L =

Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies

L =

Near Eastern and Judaic Studies

L =


L =

Russian Language and Literature

L =

Spanish Language and Literature

L =

At Brandeis, the following ancient languages are offered: Akkadian (the Semitic language and literature of Assyria and Babylonia preserved in cuneiform), Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Latin, and Sanskrit.

T = School of Science

The School of Science provides the basic scientific training to qualify students for entry into graduate school or for work at the intermediate level in their scientific fields. Students are encouraged to take such courses outside the School of Science as will best broaden and further their intellectual growth. Requirements for concentration are listed on the pages indicated.

L =


L =


L =


L =

Computer Science

L =

General Science

L =


L =


L =


L =

T = School of Social Science

In addition to the basic coverage of the social sciences provided by the departmental disciplines noted below, the School of Social Science supports cross-disciplinary programs such as East Asian studies; education; environmental studies; film studies; health, law, and society; history of ideas; Islamic and Middle Eastern studies; journalism; legal studies; medieval studies; peace and conflict studies; Russian and East European studies; and women's studies. The concentration in neuroscience is supported by various members of the psychology department. Requirements for concentration are listed on the pages indicated.

L =

African and Afro-American Studies

L =

American Studies

L =


L =


L =


L =

Latin American Studies

L =

Linguistics and Cognitive Science

L =


L =


L =


L =

A student in the School of Social Science who is a candidate for a degree with honors will, in addition to the designated requirements for the several fields, also enroll in Senior Research (99). Candidates for honors must have the approval of the appropriate department. One reader of a senior thesis must come from outside the department of concentration.

S = Physical Education

Physical Education is an undergraduate degree requirement at Brandeis. This requirement is satisfied by successful completion of two, semester-long, noncredit, activity courses and demonstration of an ability to swim. The swimming component may be met (1) by passing the swim test, (2) with a Red Cross Card, or (3) by taking a swimming course, satisfactory completion of which counts as one of the two required activity courses. Students should complete the physical education requirement by the end of their sophomore year.

New students may earn exemption from all or part of the physical education requirement by scoring well on a battery of physical fitness tests that are administered at the University each year. Participation in these exemption tests is voluntary, and the opportunity is available only during a student's first year at the University. For additional details, see the introductory remarks in the physical education course offerings section. Transfer students may offer physical education courses that appear on the transcripts of their previous institutions.

M = Academic Regulations

S = Academic Integrity

Academic integrity is central to the mission of Brandeis University. As stated in the Student Handbook, "Every member of the University community is expected to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty. A student shall not receive credit for work that is not the product of the student's own effort." Examples of penalties for a student found responsible for an infringement of academic honesty are no credit for the work in question, failure in the course, and the traditional range of conduct sanctions from disciplinary warning through permanent dismissal from the University.

It is one of the chief obligations of each member of Brandeis's academic community to understand the University's policies regarding academic honesty and to uphold those standards.

Allegations of academic dishonesty by undergraduate or graduate students are reported to the Office of Campus Life for adjudication within the Student Judicial System.

S = Rate of Work

The normal rate of work is defined as four courses per semester, each bearing four credit hours and each counting toward the 32 courses required as the graduation standard. Some courses, notably physical education courses, do not contribute toward the calculation of a legal course load or progress toward the graduation standard. Students enrolling in them do so as a supplement to an otherwise legal program of study.

Note that tuition bills are predicated upon the normal rate of work of four courses per term; consult the section on fees and expenses for explanation of the financial implication of course load variations.

The minimum rate of work is three semester courses per term and seven per academic year. A student electing to work at the three-course rate may not enroll in any of them on a pass/fail basis; similarly, a student may not drop to the three-course rate unless all are being taken for regular letter grades.

The maximum rate of work is 5.5 semester courses per term and 11 per academic year.

Rate of Work Limits

Minimum per semester 3

Maximum per semester 5.5

Minimum per year 7

Maximum per year 11

Exceptions to Rate of Work Provisions

The minimum course load for students in the Brandeis Adult Student Option is one course per semester. Students in this program pay tuition at the per-course rate.

With the permission of the University Registrar, a student may repeat a course previously completed with a passing grade; however, the repeated effort will not count toward the graduation standard of 32 courses nor contribute toward the grade point average.

Seniors who have completed all degree requirements and 32 semester courses by the conclusion of the fall term of the senior year may petition through the Office of the University Registrar to carry one or more semester courses during the spring term and to pay at the per-course rate. Such petitions must be approved before the first day of instruction in the spring term according to the deadlines promulgated by the Office of the University Registrar. Detailed information may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

Otherwise, permission to carry fewer courses than outlined above may be granted only by the Committee on Academic Standing and only on grounds of illness or personal hardship. Permission to work and pay at the six-course per semester rate may be granted by the Committee in exceptional circumstances.

S = Changes in Courses

Registration and course enrollment occur at the beginning of each semester. During the first two weeks of each term, students finalize their course selections in consultation with their faculty advisors. Final course enrollment materials are filed at the end of that period.

Requests for program changes after the second week must be submitted to the Committee on Academic Standing. Petitions to add courses after the second week must be initiated in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs; such requests are granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Students who wish to drop a course may do so on or before the deadline announced in the university calendar, normally the Friday closest to the 40th day of instruction, without academic penalty, providing they adhere to the constraints of rate of work. In such cases a program change form must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. Petitions to drop a course after the deadline must be initiated in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs; such requests are granted only in exceptional circumstances. If granted, the Committee on Academic Standing will normally instruct the University Registrar to record a grade of "WL" (withdrawn late) on the student's permanent record.

S = Elective Courses

Any course not used in the fulfillment of a specific degree requirement or fulfillment of field of concentration requirements is considered an elective. Students are strongly encouraged to take elective courses to complement a strong liberal arts foundation.

Independent study courses and senior research courses may also be considered electives if not used to complete a field of concentration. Enrollment in such courses requires the signature of the instructor and department chair.

S = Auditing

There is no formal audit status for undergraduate students. Students wishing to audit a course informally must secure the permission of the instructor.

S = Class Standing

The minimum number of semester courses required for advancement to each class is as follows: sophomore: 6; junior: 14; senior: 22. The minimum number of courses required for graduation is 32.

S = Attendance

All students are expected to attend classes regularly. Students on probation are compelled by University policy to attend every class meeting; students on warning are allowed maximally three excused absences. In addition, an individual faculty member may establish attendance requirements for all students in the course, and may insist on the completion of all assignments even if a student was not in attendance for the period.

Classes begin at 10 minutes after the hour and end on the hour. Tardy students may be marked absent at the discretion of the instructor.

S = Reading Period

An instructor, with the approval of the department chair or interdepartmental committee chair, and the dean of arts and sciences, may institute a reading period in advanced courses. A reading period is a two-week period immediately preceding final examinations during which no classes are held. A student works on assigned course material not covered in class sessions. The reading period material will be dealt with in the midyear and final examinations.

S = Grades

Grades are reported to the Office of the University Registrar four times a year. In arriving at these grades, faculty members are obliged to utilize the same criteria for all students in a course, and are at liberty to consider any and all components of the student's work in a course: written work, recitations, laboratory technique and reports, special reports or research, and all examinations. Grading in full-year courses is cumulative so that spring grades take into account the fall semester work and replace the midyear grades. The following grades will be used with plus or minus where appropriate:

L =

A High Distinction

L =

B Distinction

L =

C Satisfactory

L =

D Passing, but Unsatisfactory

L =

E Failure

L =

The letters "S" (Satisfactory) or "U" (Unsatisfactory) may be used as the midsemester grades for undergraduates. At midyear there must be a regular letter grade, even in full-year courses. The only exception is that "S" or "U" may be used in a full-year reading course (usually numbered 98 or 99).

The numerical equivalents of the grades as determined by the faculty are:

L =

A+ or A 4.00

L =

A- 3.67

L =

B+ 3.33

L =

B 3.00

L =

B- 2.67

L =

C+ 2.33

L =

C 2.00

L =

C- 1.67

L =

D+ 1.33

L =

D 1.00

L =

D- 0.67

L =

E 0.00

L =

The University Registrar reports midyear and year-end grades to students in writing. Instructors notify students of midsemester grades.

S = Credit/No Credit Grading

Certain courses, specifically ENG 19a, ENG 109a and b, ENG 119a and b, MUS 10a,b-15a,b, MUS 111a and b, MUS 112a and b, and MUS 116a and b do not utilize letter grades. For pedagogical reasons, the grades assigned in these courses are either Credit ("CR") or No Credit ("NC"), accompanied by written evaluations that are not included in the student's transcript. These grades are the equivalent of "pass" and "fail" for purposes of computing grade point averages. A student may take an unlimited number of semester courses graded CR/NC. However, a course utilizing this grading pattern may not be undertaken in a semester in which the student has fewer than two courses (eight semester hours credit) enrolled on a regular letter graded basis.

S = Degrees with Honor

Students whose grade point average at the end of the junior year is 3.00 or above in their field of concentration may petition the department concerned for permission to work for honors in their field of concentration. Department distinction is awarded by each department or interdepartmental committee. The levels of distinction are "honors," "high honors," or "highest honors."

The awards of cum laude and magna cum laude require a cumulative grade point average of 3.250 and 3.600, respectively. Students graduating in May 2000 and thereafter will require grade point averages of 3.500 and 3.700 respectively.

The award of summa cum laude requires a cumulative grade point average of 3.700 and the award of distinction in the field of concentration. Students graduating in May 2000 and thereafter will require a grade point average of 3.800 and departmental honors.

The University has a policy of depositing honors theses with the Library and making them available to future students and scholars for research purposes.

S = Pass/Fail Option

A student may take up to four semester courses pass/fail while enrolled at Brandeis. No more than one course may be taken pass/fail during a single term. No course being offered to satisfy a University writing requirement may be taken on the pass/fail grading option. No more than one course (and never the final one) in the foreign language sequence may be taken pass/fail if the language is being offered in satisfaction of the foreign language requirement. No courses used to fulfill any general University requirement may be taken on the pass/fail grading option. Grades of "pass" or "fail" ("P" for performance at the D- level or above, or "F") will not be used in computing grade point averages. Normally, courses taken pass/fail will not satisfy concentration requirements. (Some departments may allow courses in excess of those required for concentration to be taken pass/fail; consult the undergraduate advising head for concentration-specific practices.) The pass/fail option may not be used in a semester unless the course program includes at least three courses (12 semester hours credit) enrolled on a regular letter grade basis. Hence, students working at a reduced rate of work may not also utilize the pass/fail option. In full-year courses the grading option (pass/fail or letter grade) elected applies to both semesters and may not be changed at midyear. (Such a course taken pass/fail would expend two of the allowable four pass/fail semesters.) The decision to take a course pass/fail must be made on or before the deadline announced in the University calendar, normally the Friday closest to the 20th day of instruction. Courses elected on the pass/fail basis may be converted to a graded basis at any time before the announced deadline in the following semester, normally the Friday closest to the 20th day of instruction, except in an undergraduate's final semester when conversions must be completed by the deadline announced in the university calendar, approximately two weeks prior to the last day of classes. Petitions will not be entertained for exception to these deadlines. Informal understandings between students and instructors do not constitute official pass/fail enrollment. Instructors are not informed of the grading option that a student has chosen. Students taking courses pass/fail must complete all assignments and must take midyear and final examinations. Finally, students who entered Brandeis prior to the fall of 1989 are governed by an earlier version of pass/fail regulations; these appear in previous editions of the Bulletin, and clarification with respect to them may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

S = Incompletes and Excused Absences from Final Exams

Students who are unable to take their final examinations for legitimate reasons and wish to request a make-up exam must obtain advance authorization from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

If a student is absent without excuse from a term-end examination and does not obtain authorization for a make-up examination, the student will be given a grade of zero on the exam. The instructor will be asked to supply a grade for the course. If the instructor fails to do so on or before the institutional deadline, the registrar will enter a failing grade on the student's record.

A student is expected to complete the work in each course before the beginning of the examination period. Students unable to complete the work in a course by this time for legitimate reasons may request an Incomplete. Application forms are obtained from and returned to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs by the last day of instruction. Approval of the faculty advisor as well as that of the instructor is required; for students on warning or probation, the approval of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs is also required. The work must be completed by a date stipulated by the instructor and in no case later than two weeks after the beginning of the next semester. The grade for the course must be filed by the instructor no later than the third week of the next semester.

The record of a student will display an incomplete or absence until a permanent grade has been provided or until these designations expire. Upon expiration, if a permanent final grade has not been submitted to replace the temporary grade, the registrar is instructed to record an "E" for the course. Such a grade may be altered only by special petition to the Committee on Academic Standing.

When other required academic exercises, such as laboratory assignments, minor papers, or quizzes are not completed, and when such noncompliance is excused, instructors may, at their discretion, require the work to be made up or not count the assignment in determining a grade. When there is no satisfactory excuse for the incomplete work, instructors may record a failing grade.

S = Academic Status

At the end of each semester, the Committee on Academic Standing announces the Dean's List of honor students. Students are placed on the Dean's List when they have earned a grade point average in the preceding semester of 3.50 or higher and have not received a D, E, U, F, or NC (labs and physical education included) or more than one C; and has received a regular letter grade in at least three regular, four-credit courses. Seniors doing honors work in the fall may receive an "S" in that course (99) and still be eligible. Dean's List students receive formal acknowledgment of this achievement from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Degree eligibility normally requires a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.000.

A satisfactory semester record contains no grades of D, E, F, or NC and requires a semester grade point average of at least 2.000. At the conclusion of each semester the Committee on Academic Standing shall review the records of students whose performance is unsatisfactory. Such students will be placed on advising alert, warning, probation, or required withdrawal status, according to the guidelines specified below:

L =

Semester Record Semester GPA 2.000 Semester GPA 2.000 or

L =

1 D Probation Warning/Probation*

L =

1 E, F, or NC Probation Warning/Probation

L =

More than one unsatisfactory grade Probation/Withdrawal Warning/Probation

L =

*If a student had an unsatisfactory record in a previous semester.

To be restored to good standing, a student on warning or probation must earn in the following semester a satisfactory record with no incomplete grades. Repeated semesters of unsatisfactory work may lead to required withdrawal for a period of one year. The University may sever relations at any time with a student whose academic performance is so profoundly deficient as to suggest an inability to meet academic requirements. Students are informed in writing of any change in academic status.

Involuntary withdrawal from the University occasioned by academic deficiency requires the student to interrupt formal study for a minimum of one year. After that time the Committee on Academic Standing will consider application for readmission. Primary considerations in making readmission decisions are evidence of sustained and productive activity during the period of absence from the campus, evidence of serious academic purpose, and pertinent letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate's readiness to resume formal study. Courses taken for academic credit while on involuntary withdrawal from the University are not eligible for transfer toward the Brandeis degree.

S = Leaves of Absence and Voluntary Withdrawal from the University

Any regular undergraduate student who has been in residence for two semesters, and who has a complete and satisfactory record from the preceding semester, is eligible for a leave of absence. A leave of absence is granted for one or two semesters and may be extended once only. Normally, leaves are arranged in advance through the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. On an exceptional basis, personal leave may be granted for a semester in progress, in which case permission must be secured from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs no later than the 20th day of instruction. Students are required to inform the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs in writing of their intentions at a specified date prior to the beginning of the term in which they are scheduled to register. Credit will not be granted for academic work taken at other institutions during a leave of absence, except as stipulated in the section titled "Leave of Absence with Credit."

A student wishing to withdraw from the University may do so at any time. From students who withdraw in good standing, the Committee on Academic Standing will consider applications for readmission after one full semester of absence from the campus. Other students may apply for readmission after one calendar year has elapsed.

In order to obtain a leave of absence or to withdraw from the University, a student must consult the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs and obtain clearance from all appropriate administrative offices.

M = Special Academic Opportunities

S = Dual BachelorÌs/MasterÌs Degree Programs

The four-year BachelorÌs/Master's Program is designed to enable exceptional or gifted undergraduates to earn two degrees simultaneously during their period of study at Brandeis University.

Any program offering graduate study is eligible to offer a four-year dual degree program. At present, participating programs are: biochemistry, biology, chemistry, history, mathematics, neuroscience, and physics.

Requirements for the bachelorÌs degree, defined by the College of Arts and Sciences, remain unaffected by participation in the program. Students will be eligible for the simultaneous award of the bachelorÌs and master's degree if, while completing undergraduate requirements, they can:

A. fulfill a minimum of three years' residence on campus, one of which must be study at the graduate level;

B. submit a master's thesis in departments requiring one (Whether such thesis may also be considered for undergraduate departmental honors may differ among programs, and will be addressed specifically in the program requirements.);

C. complete a total of 38 courses, of which at least four must be at the graduate level and not counted toward undergraduate concentration requirements;

D. complete all other departmental and University requirements that apply to earning a master's degree in the chosen department. Specifically, undergraduates should be aware that "B-" is the minimal grade that yields progress toward a graduate degree.

A student must make formal written application for admission to this program on forms available at the Office of the Graduate School. This must be done by May 1 of the student's junior year (usually the sixth semester at Brandeis). Transfer students should apply by the fourth semester in residence. All applications must include a proposed course of study, specifying how all degree requirements will be met.

Computer science, international economics and finance, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies, and theater arts offer programs in which the bachelor's degree is conferred at the end of the fourth year, and the requirements for a master's degree are satisfied with one additional year of study. Consult the departments for details.

S = Independent Concentration

An independent concentration offers students with interdisciplinary academic interests the opportunity to pursue a self-designed course of study with the support of appropriate faculty members and the approval of the Committee on Academic Standing. Independent concentration proposals include courses in at least two departments at the University and form an integrated program focusing on some issue, theme, or subject area not available within the context of existing departmental concentrations. An independent concentration must be declared before the end of the student's junior year.

Additional information and guidance in designing an independent concentration may be obtained in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

S = Interdepartmental Programs

Brandeis University offers interdepartmental programs at the undergraduate level in the following areas: East Asian studies; education; environmental studies; film studies; health, law, and society; history of ideas; humanities; international studies; Islamic and Middle Eastern studies; Italian studies; journalism; Latin American studies; legal studies; medieval studies; peace and conflict studies; Russian and East European studies; and women's studies.

Interdepartmental programs provide a structured, intellectually coherent opportunity to explore areas of study that are interdisciplinary in scope. An interdepartmental program augments, complements, or supplements (but does not replace) a field of concentration. Completion of the requirements of an interdepartmental program is so noted on the student's transcript.

S = Minors

In addition to a field of concentration, students have the opportunity to select a "minor." A minor consists of a coherent group of courses defined by a department that is either a limited version of a field of concentration or a more specialized subset of a field. Minors are optional; they do not replace a field of concentration. Satisfactory completion of them is noted on students' transcripts.

Minors are available in African and Afro-American studies, anthropology, art history, business and managerial economics, chemistry, classical studies, computer science, English, German and Slavic languages, international business, linguistics, mathematics, music, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies, philosophy, physics, romance languages, and theater arts. The specific requirements of each minor can be found with the departmental listings in this publication.

S = Undergraduate Research Opportunities

Brandeis offers special opportunities for undergraduates to engage in scholarly research under the guidance of the faculty. Funds are available on a competitive basis to support student research enterprises during the academic year and during the summer months. Each year the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs recognizes the achievements of student researchers by publishing their work in a research journal. Further details about research opportunities for undergraduates may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, the Office of Student Enrichment Services, and the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences.

S = Internship for Credit

Internships, undertaken during the academic year or the summer, allow students to apply the liberal arts skills of research, writing, and analysis in work world situations, thereby enhancing the development of these skills. The University encourages internship experiences and has established guidelines to ensure that internships yielding academic credit have significant academic components and make meaningful contributions to students' programs of study.

Credit-bearing internships are offered by departments with the course number "92" and the course title "Internship and Analysis." Internship courses are subject to the normal enrollment deadlines, but require manual enrollment, which must be done at the RegistrarÌs Office. Participation is normally limited to juniors and seniors. A student may not receive credit for more than two such courses.

Students seeking credit for an internship will apply to the appropriate department for sponsorship prior to undertaking the internship. Normally, students will enroll in a credit-bearing internship in their concentration or minor field. However, departments and programs have discretionary authority in this regard. Students complete an application form available in the Hiatt Career Development Center explaining the internship responsibilities and how they relate to the program of study.

S = Undergraduate Peer Assistantships for Credit

Peer teaching yields many benefits to both undergraduate teachers and learners. The University has established uniform standards for the utilization of undergraduate peer assistants and for the awarding of academic credit for such activities. Opportunities to serve as peer assistants are by invitation and generally limited to juniors and seniors who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement. Undergraduates serving in this capacity may be compensated for their services or receive one, and only one, semester course credit for their assistance in any one course. Credit-bearing peer assistantships are enrolled under the course number "94" and the course title "Peer Assistantship" and are subject to the normal enrollment procedures and deadlines.

S = Humanities and Medicine Program

In association with the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Brandeis University offers a Humanities and Medicine Program. This program was specifically designed to interest nonscience concentrators in medical careers. Each year as many as five (5) qualified sophomores may be selected by the School of Medicine to participate in this program. Acceptance to the program guarantees acceptance to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine upon graduation from Brandeis as long as specific minimum requirements are met. The program offers more flexibility in a student's choice of undergraduate curriculum and special summer enrichment opportunities at Mount Sinai for which a stipend of $1,500 and housing are provided.

Those who wish to obtain an application and more information about the program should contact Professor Peter Conrad in the sociology department or Assistant Dean Joy Playter in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. Pre-applications are due by November 1 and accepted applicants will be notified by December 15. Successful candidates must have satisfactorily completed four years of high school education and have achieved SAT scores of 1200. Other criteria for admission include high school performance, assessment by faculty and administration at Brandeis, and personal letters of recommendation.

S = Tufts University School of Medicine Early Acceptance Program

The Tufts University School of Medicine Early Acceptance Program is designed for academically strong undergraduate students who are pursuing a premedical curriculum. Successful completion of this program assures candidates of acceptance to Tufts University School of Medicine after graduation.

Interested candidates apply to the program in the spring of their sophomore year and are expected to have completed at Brandeis two semesters of general chemistry and biology with laboratories and one semester of organic chemistry with a grade point average of 3.5 or better, and a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 at the time of application. Students must apply by March 1 and will be notified of their acceptance in July. Accepted students are expected to complete one year of physics, mathematics, English and American literature, and requirements for graduation with a B+ average before entering Tufts University Medical School.

Once accepted to the program, students will have access to a faculty mentoring program at Tufts Medical School, and the opportunity to participate in special seminars. Accepted students will have until August 1 following their sophomore year to accept the offer via the AMCAS early decision process. If a student does not accept the offer, he or she has not jeopardized the chance to apply to any other medical school. For statistical purposes only, the MCAT is required for accepted students and must be taken prior to matriculation at the medical school.

S = Columbia University Law School's Accelerated Program in Interdisciplinary Legal Education

Brandeis is affiliated with Columbia University Law School in a special program that allows two outstanding students to gain admission to the Law School after three years at Brandeis. Students must have completed 28 courses, have taken the Law School Admission Test, and have been nominated by Brandeis after a rigorous screening process. Students accepted by the Columbia University Law School will complete their four courses required for the completion of the Brandeis degree during their second and third years at the Law School. They will be awarded the Brandeis B.A. and the Columbia J.D. simultaneously.

Students interested in this program are advised to seek additional information at the outset of their fourth semester in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

S = Brandeis Summer School

The Brandeis Summer School offers students a diverse selection of undergraduate courses in two, five-week sessions. Special summer programs both on campus and abroad provide students with further opportunities for in-depth study.

The student has the opportunity to enroll in courses to meet University degree requirements, accelerate individual programs of study, work toward a double concentration, or take enrichment courses. These courses may not be used to meet the minimum residence requirement. The average summer program course has a small student enrollment, generating a rigorous but informal atmosphere for teacher-student interaction.

Of particular interest to students are the strong summer program offerings in the area of premedical education, intensive language study, computer science courses, the wide variety of liberal arts selections, and special programs in which academic work complements practical work experience.

A student may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree for no more than three semester courses in one summer.

For full information, see the Summer School Bulletin or contact the Rabb School of Summer, Special, and Continuing Studies, 781-736-3424, in Ford/Sydeman 6.

S = Preparation for Professional Training

The College of Arts and Sciences does not design courses of study with specific vocational goals in mind. In pursuing a broad education in the liberal arts and sciences, students develop a firm foundation for subsequent professional education.

T = Architecture

Architectural schools are looking for solid experience in any field of concentration. It is not necessary to concentrate in fine arts. There are several kinds of courses, however, that should be taken: basic calculus and basic physics; basic design, life drawing, and as many other fine arts studio courses as practicable; courses in architectural history; and principles of urban studies and other urban studies courses, if feasible.

In addition, past experience indicates that students should prepare an art portfolio consisting of studies prepared in conjunction with basic design or another studio course. Finally, summer employment in architectural offices, gained on the student's own initiative, remains useful.

T = Law

Most law schools advise undergraduates to concentrate in what interests them since the later specific legal training will build on the advantages of a sound liberal arts education.

Although there is no prescribed program of study for prospective law school applicants, many concentrate in such social sciences as politics, economics, history, and American studies. Since law schools tend to look for evidence of a rigorous schedule of courses and high verbal competence, a background in logic, the natural sciences, and English is desirable. Although courses from the Legal Studies Program might familiarize the prospective law student with law school material, it is not necessary that such courses be taken as preparation for professional training.

Prospective applicants to law school should consult the Hiatt Career Development Center for law school catalogs and Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) registration materials. Also available in that office is the Brandeis Prelaw Handbook, which includes a survey of the experiences of recent Brandeis alumni in seeking admission to law school, as well as a more detailed description of law school application procedures. Several members of the faculty serve informally as advisors to prospective law school applicants. Students requesting a dean's certification should contact the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

T = Medicine and Dentistry

The course of study for pre-health professionals at Brandeis is more than simply a collection of required courses. An assistant dean in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs is available for advice and guidance throughout a student's undergraduate career. In the junior year, each student is assigned a faculty member on the Board of Premedical Advisors. These advisors provide ongoing guidance, aid in the application procedure, and participate in the preparation of letters of recommendation.

The basic requirements for pre-health professionals are satisfied by the following courses: two introductory courses (plus laboratory) in general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology.

A Guide for Premedical Students at Brandeis University, a comprehensive handbook that addresses all aspects of the premedical curriculum and the process of applying to medical schools, is available to all premedical students through the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Students planning to pursue a career in medicine, dentistry, or veterinary science should notify the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

T = Teaching

While the University does not have a field of concentration in education, it offers a program that fulfills Massachusetts's requirements for teacher certification and at least partially fulfills those of other states as well. Students interested in preparing for a career as a teacher in preschool, primary, or secondary schools should inform themselves of certification requirements in the state where they plan to work and should consult the Director of the Education Program.

M = Off-Campus Study

S = Study Abroad

Brandeis University permits students to enroll in specified programs abroad that provide a sound course of study to enrich and enhance the American collegiate experience. Students may receive credit toward their Brandeis degrees through participation in educational programs abroad that have been approved by the Committee on Academic Standing on the recommendation of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. This committee may permit eligible students to enroll in overseas programs of American universities, or in special cases, to pursue individual programs of study at foreign universities. Over 120 programs in 45 countries have been approved for Brandeis students' participation. The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs maintains a resource library of materials on approved programs and offers counseling to undergraduates interested in enriching their Brandeis experience with a period of international study. Eligibility criteria include appropriate class standing (usually junior), good academic standing, the approval of the department of concentration and a plan for completing all Brandeis degree and concentration requirements within eight semesters.

Credit for work completed abroad will be accepted from those programs previously approved for foreign study by Brandeis University, or from programs that receive special approval from the registrar according to University guidelines. Such transfer of course credits will not necessarily imply that the work will be accepted for concentration credit by individual departments. In order to receive credit for work done abroad students must return to Brandeis for at least one semester at the full course rate.

Outstanding students may apply for a limited number of special scholarship grants to aid them in completing their program of study abroad. The Abram L. Sachar International Fellowship Program awards stipends for international study to exceptional students who plan to study abroad in the junior year, or who are graduate students undertaking pre-dissertation or dissertation research abroad. The program is competitive; awards are made on the basis of academic excellence and financial need. The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs provides information and assistance in applying for the Sachar scholarships, as well as for foreign study grants available through the Fulbright, Rhodes, Marshall, and DAAD competitions.

S = University College (London)-Brandeis University Cooperation

University College (London) offers up to five places annually to Brandeis University juniors who have been selected by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs as academically well-qualified for a full year of study in London. Final admissions decisions are made by University College. Those Brandeis students who are admitted through the official cooperation process will receive a reduction in the cost of tuition and may use Brandeis financial aid awards as appropriate.

University College (London) is the oldest and largest constituent college of the University of London consortium. It is located in the heart of the city, not far from the British Museum. Brandeis students are fully integrated into the academic and social life of the college.

S = Leave of Absence with Credit

Students in good standing may petition for a personal leave without credit, a leave to study abroad with credit, or a domestic leave of absence with credit. Other sections of the Bulletin are devoted to leave of absence without credit and study abroad. This section deals exclusively with domestic credit-bearing leaves of absence. To qualify for full credit transfer upon return, a student on credit-bearing leave status must work at a full rate of work as defined by the host institution and earn grades of at least a C-. Applicants must be in good standing; must have a complete and satisfactory record in the most recent semester of Brandeis study; must have completed at least two and not more than five semesters at Brandeis; and must have compelling academic reasons. Only in exceptional cases may the senior year be spent on leave of absence with credit. No more than one course in a full course load may be taken in a subject area that will not transfer to the Brandeis degree.

Proposals for domestic leave of absence with credit must be submitted prior to the period of leave, contain a detailed course of study for one or two semesters of full-time work of demonstrable academic merit; bear the approval of the applicant's faculty advisor; and develop a feasible plan for satisfying all degree requirements by the expected graduation date.

Complete information on the regulations governing this program and assistance in preparing proposals may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

S = Cross-Registration

Full-time Brandeis students enjoy cross-registration privileges with Babson, Bentley, and Wellesley Colleges, and with the undergraduate schools of arts and sciences at Boston College, Boston University, and Tufts University. Under this program students may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree without payment of additional tuition through satisfactory completion of courses taken on these neighboring campuses. Additional information may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

S = Summer School Credit

A student may attend daytime summer schools conducted by accredited colleges and universities for credit toward the bachelor's degree. In order to be assured that credit will be granted upon satisfactory completion, approval should be obtained in advance from the Office of the University Registrar. Normally, courses must be taken at summer programs of at least six weeks in duration; however, the Committee on Academic Standing may approve for credit selected programs with a minimum of 37 contact hours and five weeks in duration. For summer work taken at institutions other than Brandeis, only grades of B- or higher will receive credit. A student may earn credit for no more than three semester courses in one summer.

S = Field Study

During their junior or senior year, undergraduates may undertake a substantial research project in certain fields of concentration in lieu of four semester courses. Research may be conducted either on campus or in the field--execution of the project may involve prolonged absence from the Brandeis campus--at another institution, government agency, etc. The field study project must have the approval of the student's department of concentration. The project will be supervised by a faculty advisor assigned by the department, and a second member of the faculty will participate in evaluation of the student's work and the assignment of a grade. Work in the project may occupy a full semester or it may be of two semesters' duration. In the latter case, the two semesters must be consecutive. Students may receive no more than four semester-course credits for field study, and may offer no more than two semester-course credits from the field study course toward the department's concentration requirements. Interested students should explore the possibility of field study in their concentrations with a faculty member in their department of concentration. Through affiliation with the School for Field Studies, up to four semester course credits may be earned for work at one of five environmentally oriented Study Centers abroad.