University Bulletin 2001-02 The College of Arts and Sciences University Bulletin 2001-02
The College of Arts and Sciences

Admission to the College of Arts and Sciences

The University selects new students each year on the basis of merit, admitting those individuals whom it believes to be best prepared academically and personally for the University's educational program and most likely to contribute to and profit from the life of the Brandeis community. Although it chooses a class varied in its interests, talents, and experience, it uses no quotas of any kind--geographic, racial, religious, or economic.

In its evaluation of candidates, the admissions office weighs evidence of accomplishment and development; school and teacher statements based on previous study and experience; relevance to the application of test results; and impressions gained through the application.

Admission Requirements for Freshmen Candidates

To be considered for freshman admission a candidate should be enrolled in a college preparatory course of study. Students planning to enter college before the completion of their secondary school programs, veterans, or other persons with equivalency diplomas or special school backgrounds should write directly to the dean of admissions regarding their interest and experience.

An adequate course in preparation for Brandeis should include four years of English; three years of a foreign language, including study during the senior year whenever possible (two years each of two languages is acceptable but less desirable); three years of college preparatory mathematics (prospective science concentrators should present a year of advanced mathematics); at least one year of science (chemistry, physics, or biology); and one year of history. The remaining courses should generally be in traditional college preparatory studies. It is recognized, however, that courses in the creative arts are of value to students intending to concentrate in these fields in college.

The Scholastic Aptitude Test ("SAT I" and "SAT II: Subject Tests") of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) are regarded by the Committee on Admissions as one of several factors in one's candidacy and as a method of evaluating the qualifications of candidates from different schools and areas. All candidates must take the SAT I and three SAT II: Subject Tests, one of which must be the SAT II: Writing Test. The other two are of the student's own choosing. We recommend that all candidates take the SATs in their senior year in order to present the best possible testing results. All tests should be completed by the end of January of the senior year. Students may submit results from the American College Testing Program (ACT) in lieu of College Entrance Examination Board testing.

Full information concerning testing may be obtained from secondary school guidance counselors or directly from the agencies administering the exams. For information on the SAT I and SAT II: Subject Tests, contact the College Board SAT Program, Box 6200, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6200. For information on the ACT, write the American College Testing Program, Box 168, Iowa City, Iowa 52243. The candidate should direct the CEEB or ACT offices to report scores to the dean of admissions.

Early Decision

Freshmen candidates who, after careful consideration of various college options, have decided firmly that Brandeis is their first choice, are encouraged to apply for admission under the Early Decision Plan. Early Decision candidates and their college counselors must sign a statement on the application indicating that they understand the implications of the Early Decision Plan and that the student will enroll if admitted. Although Early Decision candidates may file regular applications to other colleges, it is with the understanding that those applications will be withdrawn when candidates are offered admission to Brandeis under the Early Decision Plan. All applications and supporting credentials for Early Decision must be received no later than January 1. Supporting credentials should include the SAT I and as many SAT II: Subject Tests as have been completed, or the ACT. Early Decision applicants will be notified of a decision within four weeks of the receipt of a completed application. Candidates not accepted under Early Decision will automatically be considered in the regular review period for the April notification date. Further detailed information about the Early Decision Plan is contained in the admissions application packet.

Admission Requirements for Transfer Candidates

The Committee on Admissions welcomes applications from individuals whose promise and prior attainment is in keeping with the opportunity for a continuation of concentrated scholarly study at Brandeis. Whenever desired, applicants will be granted a conference with a faculty member in the area of academic interest. Some financial aid is reserved annually for transfer candidates.

Transfer admission is granted solely in keeping with the University's degree requirement of a minimum of two years of full-time study. To be considered for admission, a candidate should present, in applying, evidence of good standing (academically and personally) in his or her preceding college and sound reasons for wishing to transfer.

In its selection of transfer candidates, the Committee on Admissions gives major consideration to the quality of college-level work completed and some consideration to further evidence of promise for achievement at Brandeis based on the secondary school record, personal evaluations by the appropriate dean and an instructor, and testing and information conveyed by the candidate. Candidates should submit either Scholastic Aptitude Test or ACT scores from testing completed either during secondary school or by April of the year of application.

Transfer candidates should apply by November 1 for the spring semester and by April 1 for the fall semester.

Admission of International Students

International applicants should request application materials from the Office of Admissions. To be considered for admission as an international student, a candidate should have successfully completed a pre-university program (the duration of which was at least 12 years) with strong results on nationally administered examinations where applicable. Undergraduate applicants whose native tongue is English are required to take the SAT I and SAT II: Subject Tests administered by the Educational Testing Service at centers throughout the world. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required of applicants who are not native speakers of English.

The deadline for receipt of international applications is January 31 for enrollment the following September. The deadline for spring semester admission is November 1. Candidates for September admission may apply for financial aid. No financial aid is available for international candidates for spring semester admission.

The Wien International Scholarship Program, created in 1958 by Lawrence A. and Mae Wien, is designed to further global understanding, provide international undergraduate students with opportunities for study in the United States, and enrich the intellectual and cultural life of the Brandeis campus.

The program permits the University to offer undergraduate awards each year to outstanding incoming students. The scholarships are based on academic excellence and will cover the cost of tuition, fees, and a stipend for books. Loan funds and an on-campus job will cover additional costs for room, board, and personal maintenance, to meet the full need of each individual student. In no case will a scholarship awarded to an international student include funds for travel expenses. Awards are made for a single year to degree candidates and may be renewed annually through completion of the degree upon application to the Wien International Scholarship Program Committee.

International applicants are considered for other University funded merit-based scholarships as well as limited need-based awards. Need-based awards are intended to assist as many students as resources permit through award packages of grant, on-campus employment, and loan funds covering part of the total cost; an International Student Financial Aid Application must be completed.

Brandeis Adult Student Option

The Committee on Admissions welcomes applications from adult students who are interested in pursuing their B.A. degree at Brandeis. For a candidate who has been out of high school or college for a number of years, the Committee on Admissions looks for evidence--recent course work (noncredit or credit), work, or volunteer experience--that the applicant has remained intellectually curious and highly motivated. Transcripts from recent course work are particularly helpful in providing documentation. Letters of recommendation from teachers, supervisors, or colleagues; a personal statement; and a personal interview give further evidence of promise for achievement at Brandeis. No standardized testing is required but a candidate may submit official testing if he or she desires.

Brandeis adult students may pay on a course-by-course basis taking as few as one or as many as five-and-a-half courses per semester (see tuition section for the rate per course). In order to receive the baccalaureate, they must meet all degree requirements, except rate-of-work requirements, that apply to full-time students. Credit will be given for course work done elsewhere if it meets University transfer credit criteria.

Candidates interested in the Brandeis Adult Student Option should apply by April 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester.

Special Student Status

The University accepts as Special Students for the fall and spring semesters a small number of persons who are not candidates for a degree at Brandeis and who wish to elect one or more courses for which they are qualified and can demonstrate special need. This would include students who are degree candidates at another college or university wishing to attend Brandeis as visiting students. Special Student status is subject to approval on an individual and semester basis. Students whose academic performance does not meet Brandeis standards may be denied permission to register for a second semester. Neither residence nor financial aid is available to Special Students, and no special student may take precedence over a degree candidate in any limited enrollment course. Please note that international students in Special Student status must enroll for a full course of study.

Persons interested in Special Student status should apply by July 15 for the fall semester and by November 1 for the spring semester.

Credit for College-Level Work Done While in High School

Students may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree for college-level work taken during American high school study (grades 9-12) or before entering Brandeis as freshmen. Such courses must be offered by accredited post-secondary institutions; designed for and accessible to regular college students and taught by instructors whose institutional responsibilities are primarily at the post-secondary level; acceptable for degree credit at the host institution; and comparable to Brandeis courses in content, scope, and level of instruction, as judged by Brandeis faculty. To receive credit for courses taken at institutions other than Brandeis, the student must achieve grades of B- or higher, as certified by an official college transcript received by Brandeis, must not have applied the credit toward high school graduation requirements, and must petition through the Office of the University Registrar. Courses that are considered credit worthy by sponsoring and cooperating colleges and universities may not meet Brandeis requirements.

Advanced Placement

Brandeis University participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Qualifying scores necessary to receive credit are recommended by the academic departments to their school councils and administered by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Generally, especially in the sciences, advanced placement credit may not be applied toward satisfaction of a field of concentration. However, it may permit students to begin work in a field at a higher level. Advanced placement credit may be applied toward satisfaction of University degree requirements in the chart on page 22.

Unlike some other languages, there is no advanced placement exam in Hebrew. Therefore, the Hebrew Program at Brandeis offers students who are non-native, have studied Hebrew in high school, have had no college-level courses, and have demonstrated advanced knowledge in the Brandeis Hebrew placement exam, an opportunity to take an additional exam for credit. Upon successful completion of that exam, a student will receive one course credit. This opportunity is available to students only at the time they first enter Brandeis University.

Students who receive qualifying scores and wish to apply eventually for Brandeis course credit must contact the College Entrance Examination Board and request that their scores be reported to the Coordinator of Advanced Placement, Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Brandeis University, Mailstop 001, P.O. Box 549110, Waltham, Massachusetts 02454-9110. Brandeis University's school code number is 3092. Requests for additional information on the Advanced Placement Program should be addressed similarly.

Advanced placement credit is awarded during a student's sophomore year. At that time students are invited by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs to submit the paperwork needed for the processing of the credits. Students who apply Advanced Placement credits to the Brandeis degree may not enroll in courses here or elsewhere that are regarded as equivalent without experiencing the revocation of the Advanced Placement credit. Course equivalents are determined by the academic departments and posted by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. Any questions about the use of Advanced Placement credit should be directed to the coordinator in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

International Baccalaureate

Brandeis recognizes the International Baccalaureate (taken abroad or in the United States) and will award eight course credits (one full year) for a total of 30 points on the baccalaureate examination. This must include three examinations at Higher Level with grades of five or better. If a student has a total of less than 30 points or has fewer than three acceptable Higher Level examinations, Brandeis will award two course credits for each Higher Level examination with a grade of five or better. Students are obliged to supply an official copy of their credentials to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation.

Credit for Foreign School-Leaving Examination

International students are obliged to supply the results of their advanced secondary school examinations to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation. Brandeis accepts credit toward the B.A. or B.S. degree for a number of such examinations, including the British Advanced Level examinations, the German Abitur, the French baccalauréat and others; credit is contingent upon level of performance and details may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar. Credit from such sources will not be applied to the Brandeis record until the student has completed two semesters at the University. Students may not enroll in courses deemed equivalent to the foreign work without loss of the foreign credit.

Transfer Credit Policies

Transfer students are obliged to supply official transcripts documenting all previous college-level work. All such work is evaluated and each incoming transfer student is furnished by the registrar with an evaluation based upon existing faculty policies. The evaluation will indicate the number of course credits granted and the number of degree requirements that have been met. No more than 16 course credits may be granted because residence requirements specify that a minimum of 16 courses in four semesters must be successfully completed at Brandeis.

Courses must have been taken at accredited, degree-granting institutions from which an official transcript has been received. The courses must be generally equivalent to courses offered at Brandeis, and the grade received must be equivalent to at least a C-, though credit is usually awarded for a "pass" grade in a system allowing non-letter grades. Occasionally, credit may be awarded conditionally, pending successful completion of a year at Brandeis. Only selected overseas study programs are acceptable for Brandeis credit; for further details on the transfer of credit from overseas study sources, consult the Office of the University Registrar. Students may not be concurrently enrolled at Brandeis during a term in which transfer credit is sought, except as allowed under the provisions of cross-registration.

Credit is granted on an equivalent semester basis with four course credits being awarded for completion of a normal semester's work at the other institution. Normally, one quarter-course receives no credit, two quarter-courses are granted one course credit, and three quarter-courses are awarded two course credits.

Students who do not initially receive credit for a particular course taken at another institution may petition the registrar for reconsideration. Such a petition requires the signature of the appropriate Brandeis faculty member and must indicate the Brandeis course to which it is considered equivalent. In an unusual situation, the petition may be referred to the Committee on Academic Standing for final resolution.

In determining progress toward the requirements of a field of concentration, departments may consider only non-Brandeis courses that have been accepted for degree credit. Departments may limit the number of such courses that they will apply toward the concentration. Rules governing the application of transfer credit to concentrations may differ from department to department.

Application and Admissions Procedures

For the most current information regarding admissions procedures and deadline dates, prospective candidates should consult the instructions accompanying the application.

The address for the forwarding of all inquiries, materials, and test results is:

Brandeis University

Office of Admissions

Mailstop 003

P.O. Box 549110

Waltham, Massachusetts 02454-9110

781-736-3500 or 800-622-0622

781-736-8502 (TTY/TDD)

Financial Aid

Brandeis maintains a substantial aid program consisting of grants, loans, and jobs. Over 65 percent of the students enrolled at Brandeis receive University assistance. The staff of the Office of Financial Aid is available to assist parents and students in planning to finance four years of undergraduate education.

Financial aid is awarded after a careful analysis of the family's ability to support the student's costs of education. The analysis is based on the information submitted by the family on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. The student's eligibility for assistance is determined according to federal government regulations and University policies governing financial aid programs. Included in the analysis is the ability of the parent(s) and the student to contribute from both current and future income and assets. The difference between a family's ability to support the student and the actual costs of education is determined to be the student's financial need.

Most students who receive need-based assistance are awarded an aid package consisting of grant, loan, and work awards designed to meet the established need. Usually, a loan is awarded first, followed by a work expectation. The remaining eligibility is met, in most cases, with University, federal, state government, and private grant assistance. Due to funding limitations, some students may receive a capped University grant award that does not fulfill their established need. Consequently, capped-grant recipients who are also eligible for state, federal, and/or private grant assistance (e.g., Pell Grant, State Scholarship, Gilbert Grant, outside scholarships) will receive the full benefit of these funds up to their calculated eligibility.

Financial Aid Policy

1. Students receiving grant aid will usually be expected to assume loan and work obligations as part of a self-help package determined annually by the Office of Financial Aid. Students may request increased loan and decreased work if loan funds are available.

2. Financial aid applicants are required to apply for the Federal Pell Grant and state scholarship programs where available. Brandeis is unable to replace with University funds non-University aid that students are eligible to receive, but for which they fail to apply.

3. Outside awards received from federal and state programs will result in a dollar-for-dollar reduction in Brandeis Grant and Trustee Scholarship funds. Outside awards received from non-governmental sources, even if based on criteria exclusive of need, will first be used to fulfill any unmet federal financial need. Any outside award amount in excess of unmet federal financial need will reduce the self-help (loan and work) and then grant components of the student's need-based award. Students receiving need-based or merit-based aid will not be permitted to keep outside awards in excess of the total cost of attendance.

The above policy will be applied to outside awards received by any Brandeis student regardless of class year. All awards should be reported in writing to the Office of Financial Aid.

4. All students must reapply for financial aid each year. Renewal applications, including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and, if applicable, a CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE for the next academic year, are mailed to each student's permanent address during the winter intersession. The priority filing date for applying for renewal of financial aid is April 1. While it is expected that financial assistance will be continued each year of the recipient's undergraduate enrollment, the FORM and/or AMOUNT may change in subsequent years to reflect changes in financial need, federal and University funding, and other circumstances.

Failure to utilize the previous year's self-help allocation (loan and/or work) may be considered an indication of reduced student need. Increase in work and loan should be anticipated. Grant will usually increase only when calculated need increases.

5. New students who accept the University's offer of financial aid must provide verification of the previous year's income before their award can be credited. Verification includes copies of student and parent tax returns or Non-Filer's Statements.

Students requesting renewal of financial aid must submit verification of income with other application materials before an award can be made. The University may also require verification of certain application items including, but not limited to, the student's academic year residence status and the enrollment of siblings at other post-secondary institutions.

6. Federal regulations require that a student receiving federal assistance make satisfactory academic progress in accordance with standards set by the University. Brandeis delegates the responsibility to monitor academic progress to the Committee on Academic Standing and charges it to make such determinations on the basis of individual merit, and not in relationship to some arbitrary numerical standard. The committee thoroughly reviews the records of students whose performance was unsatisfactory, i.e., more than one D and/or one or more E or F, at the conclusion of each semester. Students whose progress has been judged unsatisfactory and whose withdrawal has been required by the Committee on Academic Standing shall be accorded a reconsideration by that body in the presence of new information, judged to be relevant by the dean of the college or his/her designee. Should a required withdrawal action be rescinded on appeal, financial aid eligibility shall be reinstated. Any student permitted by the committee to register for the following semester is considered to be making academic progress and is eligible for financial aid from federal and University sources. However, since an ability to complete the degree within eight semesters is a measure commonly applied by the committee in making these determinations, students are advised to consult the sections of the current University Bulletin pertaining to class standing (under Academic Regulations).


1. Federal Perkins Loan Program--Interest is not charged and repayment is not expected while the recipient is enrolled. During repayment, interest is at the rate of five percent per year, and repayment may be made over a 10-year period. Cancellation of a portion of the aggregate loan is available for service as a teacher of the handicapped, or in a low-income school district. The number of Perkins Loans is limited and reserved for the most needy students.

2. Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program--this program enables eligible undergraduate students to borrow up to $2,625 during the first year, $3,500 in the second year, and $5,500 in the third and fourth years. All students, regardless of family income, must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Verification Worksheet (if required) in order to be eligible for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan. Students are notified of their eligibility on the Financial Aid Award Letter.

There are two different forms of this loan: the Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan and the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Interest and repayment are deferred on the Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan while the borrower attends college on at least a half-time basis. Although repayment is also deferred on the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan while the borrower is enrolled on at least a half-time basis, interest accrues on this loan from the time the loan funds are disbursed. The interest may be deferred and capitalized. Six months after the cessation of half-time enrollment, the borrower begins a 10-year repayment period (other repayment options are available) during which time interest is charged to the student. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for current interest rate information.

Borrowers of the above loans must obtain and complete the required promissory notes, as well as any supplemental loan forms, at the beginning of the fall semester upon receipt of correspondence from the Student Loan Office. Anticipated credits on a student's account will be cancelled if all required forms are not completed. The terms of the above loan programs are subject to federal legislation and may be changed.

Title IV Cancellation

If you have been awarded a student loan (Federal Direct Stafford or Perkins) or parent loan (Plus or MEFA), you have a right to cancel all or a portion of your loan or loan disbursement. To do so, please submit a written request to: Office of Financial Aid, Brandeis University, Mailstop 027, P.O. Box 549110, Waltham, MA 02454-9110.

A request for loan cancellation or adjustment must be made before the end of the academic year or prior to leaving school--whichever comes first--and must state which loan(s) and what amount(s) you wish to cancel. Cancellation of your awarded student loan(s) will most likely create a balance due on your account. This balance would be due and payable upon receipt of the statement.

Student Employment

The student employment section of the Office of Financial Aid seeks to provide work opportunities to students seeking work on campus and in the Waltham area. This service is available to students, regardless of whether or not they are receiving financial aid. Students who receive job allotments as part of their financial aid package will have priority for jobs but many non-aided students find campus employment. Potential job earnings are not deducted from billed charges from the University at the beginning of each term. Students receive paychecks based on hours worked.

Financial Aid to Transfer Students

Financial aid is available for students entering Brandeis as transfer students from other institutions of higher education. Applicants who cannot afford to attend Brandeis without financial assistance should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and a CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. The application for financial aid is due at the same time as the application for admission.

Fees and Expenses

Financial Regulations

Any student with outstanding financial obligations will be denied the privileges of attending classes and using University facilities. Every student must satisfy his or her financial obligations in full to the University in order to receive certification of graduation. Official transcripts and certifications will be withheld until financial obligations to the University have been discharged. Failure to discharge financial obligations includes, but is not limited to, delinquency of a borrower in repaying a loan administered by the Student Loan Office and the inability of that office to collect such a loan because the borrower has discharged the indebtedness through bankruptcy proceedings.

Application, Matriculation, and Orientation Fees

Each application for first year or transfer admission must be accompanied by a fee of $50. All application fees are nonrefundable and cannot be credited toward other fees.

A nonrefundable matriculation deposit of $300 must be filed by each candidate upon notification of acceptance. This deposit reserves a place in the class and is credited toward the first semester tuition bill. If the student fails to enroll or withdraws his or her application, the matriculation deposit is forfeited.

All new students are charged a mandatory $75 orientation fee, which is non-refundable. All new students who commence study at midyear will be charged a $25 orientation fee.


The tuition fee for 2001-02 is $26,281 and the fee for each semester course required for degree credit is $3,285.

Library privileges and use of athletic facilities for the academic year are included in the full tuition fee.

Students who return to the University after withdrawing will pay the prevailing tuition and other fees. In view of the constantly increasing costs of education, students may expect tuition increases during their academic careers.

Financial Implications of Course Load Variation

Extra tuition charges are not incurred when course loads are within maximum rate of work limits, nor are charges reduced or refunds applied for course loads below the normal rate of work. Students who are granted special permission by the Committee on Academic Standing to undertake course schedules in excess of maximum rate of work limits will incur extra tuition charges calculated at the per course tuition rate for the year in which the course is taken.

Questions regarding the financial implications of course load variation should be directed to the Office of the University Registrar. Questions regarding the billing schedule should be directed to the Office of the Bursar.

Room and Board Fee

The total charges for a standard dormitory room (double occupancy) and a 14-meal per week board contract for the 2001-02 academic year are $7,405. Other meal contract options are available.

For upperclass students, other living accommodations are available at annual rates ranging up to $1,326 more than the standard dormitory room (double occupancy) rate of $4,160.

Each entering first-year student must mail a non-refundable deposit of $200 to the University with his or her completed residence license and meal contract. Returning upperclass students must make their advance deposits of $200 during the spring room drawing.

Students residing in dormitory rooms must sign room licenses and board contracts binding for the full academic year. Students residing in either of the apartment complexes must sign room licenses binding for the full academic year; board contracts are available to, but not required of, these students.

Nonresident students may eat in the University dining halls on a cash basis.

Transcript Fee

Students are entitled to 20 official transcripts of their academic work without charge. A charge of $5 will be made for each subsequent transcript. The student will pay the transcript fee in advance at the Office of the University Registrar (Kutz Hall). Official transcripts will be issued only to those students whose financial records with the University are in order.

Other Fees

The following are other mandatory annual fees for 2001-02:

1. Student Activities fee, $263.

2. Student Health Service fee, $372.

3. Technology fee, $160.

4. Student Health Insurance Plan (single coverage), $725. Mandatory unless proof of other coverage is provided.

There are other University fees that a student may incur for specific services or failure to meet commitments. These fees include but are not limited to the following for 2001-02:

1. Laboratory fees, $15-$50.

2. Studio fees, $10-$60.

3. Medical school application processing fee, $50.

4. Monthly payment plan fee, $100.

5. Parking fees, $35-$150.

6. Study abroad fee, $300 (semester) or $500 (academic year).

7. Senior fee, $26.

8. Returned Check fee, $25.

Payment Plans

Semester Plan

The first semester bill will be issued during July and payment will be due on or before August 3, 2001; the second semester bill will be issued during November and payment will be due on or before January 2, 2002.

Monthly Payment Plan

Academic Management Services (AMS) has contracted with Brandeis to administer the monthly payment plan. The application and a nonrefundable handling fee of $100 must be returned to AMS by August 3, 2001. For any applications returned by June 15, 2001 the payment plan electronic withdrawals will begin on July 2, 2001.


A student who leaves the University without the approval of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs is not entitled to a refund.

For approved or required leaves, withdrawals, suspensions, or dismissals, the date of departure will be considered to be that which is approved by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

All requests for refunds must be in writing and are subject to review and final approval by the Office of the Bursar.

Approved refunds follow this schedule:

1. Tuition Withdrawal

Before the opening day of instruction: 100% of semester tuition.

On or before the second Friday following the opening day of instruction: 75% of semester tuition.

On or before the fifth Friday following the opening day of instruction: 50% of semester tuition.

After the fifth Friday following the opening day of instruction: no refund.

2. Fees

There is no refund of any other fee on or after the first day of instruction of either semester.

3. Room and Board Charges

Refund of room and board contract charges are determined in accordance with the terms outlined in the contract.

4. Financial Aid

When a student withdraws during a period in which he or she is receiving federal financial aid, the amount of Title IV funds (other than FWS) that must be returned to the Title IV programs is based solely on the length of time the student was enrolled prior to withdrawing. A student's withdrawal date is defined as the date that the student began the withdrawal process prescribed by the school; the student otherwise provided the school with official notification of the intent to withdraw; or, for the student who does not begin the school's withdrawal process or notify the school of the intent to withdraw, the mid-point of the payment period of enrollment for which Title IV assistance was disbursed (unless the University can document a later date). The University has additional latitude to determine the withdrawal date of a student who dropped out without notifying the University due to circumstances beyond the student's control, such as illness, accident, or grievous personal loss.

The amount of funds earned by the student is directly proportional to time enrolled, through 60% of the period of enrollment. After 60%, the student is considered to have earned all aid. Unearned Title IV aid must be returned to the programs. The University bears the responsibility of returning funds up to the lesser of the unearned amount or an amount determined by multiplying institutional costs by the unearned percentage. The student must return any unearned amount that is not the responsibility of the University to return. Unearned funds are returned first to Stafford Loans, then to Perkins Loans and then to PLUS Loans. Once loans are satisfied, remaining unearned funds are distributed to Pell Grant, then to FSEOG, then to other Title IV funds that require a refund. The student repays unearned funds owed to a loan program under the terms of the promissory note. Repayments to grant programs are made according to grant overpayment regulations. If a student received aid from other (private, state) sources, refunds to them will be made in accordance with the policy of the donor(s).

The refund remaining after any funds are returned to federal and outside programs will be divided between the student and University financial aid programs in the same ratio as these sources were credited to the student's account (e.g., if a student paid one-half of the bill, one-half of the remaining refund will be returned to the student and one-half will be returned to the University financial aid programs from which the student received assistance. For students whose financial aid awards exceed the University's charges (e.g., students who live off campus), funds that were dispersed to support educationally related expenses (e.g., room, board, books, etc.) must be repaid on a prorated basis determined by the University.

Further information on the refund policy for aided students and the calculation for any specific case is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Requirements for the Undergraduate Degrees

Brandeis offers the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science degrees. A student may earn only one undergraduate degree. Students who declare a concentration that offers a Bachelor of Science track must specify which degree is sought (the B.A. or B.S.) when the concentration is declared. Undergraduate degrees are awarded once a year in May. Diplomas specify the degree earned and any honors awarded (in the case of departmental honors the field of concentration is listed as well).

All candidates for a bachelor's degree, regardless of date of entrance to Brandeis, must satisfactorily complete a field of concentration (major), a writing requirement, a foreign language requirement, a group of courses designed to provide a strong foundation in general education, and the physical education requirement. No courses used to fulfill any general University requirement may be taken on the pass/fail grading option. No more than one course (and never the final one) in the foreign language sequence may be taken pass/fail if the language is being offered in satisfaction of the foreign language requirement.

Students entering Brandeis in September 2000 and thereafter will follow a curriculum that features requirements in foreign language, writing, quantitative reasoning, non-Western and comparative studies, and a new program of general foundation courses; the section at the back of this Bulletin with the patterned edge contains the courses that will satisfy these requirements. Clarification regarding University degree requirements may always be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar.

Residence Requirement

Students are required to:

A. Complete 128 semester-hour course credits (equivalent to 32 courses each carrying 4 semester-hour credits).

B. Be in residence (i.e., be full-time students at Brandeis) for at least two academic years (4 semesters--fall or spring, exclusive of Brandeis Summer School sessions).

C. Complete successfully at Brandeis a minimum of 64 semester-hour credits, exclusive of Brandeis Summer School (equivalent to 16 courses each carrying 4 semester-hour credits).

While students may repeat, for the purpose of demonstrating a higher level of mastery, courses in which a passing grade already has been earned, such repeated courses do not yield additional credit toward the degree and are not applied toward the residency requirement. The 16 courses beyond those that must be taken at Brandeis may be earned through college-level work completed prior to registration at Brandeis, satisfactory scores on AP tests, study abroad, or summer school with no more than three semester courses completed in any summer.

The Schools of the University

Within the College of Arts and Sciences, courses are offered by academic departments to support educational programs and objectives that are departmental, interdisciplinary, and University-wide in scope. Academic departments reside in schools: the School of Creative Arts, the School of Humanities, the School of Science, and the School of Social Science. Because the organization of undergraduate degree requirements makes reference to this school structure, it is important that students familiarize themselves with it. The section below devoted to fields of concentration outlines the school membership of various academic departments. Most typically, the courses offered by a department will have membership in one school, that in which the department resides. Some courses, however, may have membership in more than one school. Also, some interdisciplinary areas do not fit neatly into a single school; individual courses within such areas may reside in different schools. The school membership of courses has been incorporated into the "requirement codes" appearing in the course listings. A legend for the codes may be found in the "Requirement Codes" section of this Bulletin. The course offering booklets published each fall and spring also indicate to which schools particular courses belong. If in doubt about the school membership of a particular course, consult the Office of the University Registrar.

Double Counting

In the undergraduate curriculum, it is intended that courses will serve multiple purposes in a student's program. Specifically, students are encouraged to satisfy some general University requirements (e.g., writing, quantitative reasoning, non-Western and comparative studies, and school distribution) in the context of completing a concentration, a minor, or a program.

However, some fields of concentration limit the degree of "double counting" between and among majors, minors, and programs. Students pursuing double concentrations, or other combinations of majors, minors, and programs are advised to consult with all appropriate undergraduate advisors to come to a mutually acceptable degree of overlap. Between and among general University requirements, the only limitations on double counting are as follows: University Seminars in Humanistic Inquiries are interdisciplinary in character; they do not have membership in any specific school of the University. The three course foreign language sequence may not be applied toward the school distribution in the humanities. No single course in a student's program may satisfy both the quantitative reasoning requirement and the science component of the school distribution requirement. No course numbered in the 90s may apply toward the school distribution component. Finally, a single course may be used toward school distribution in only one school.

General University Requirements

(These requirements are for classes entering in the fall of 2000 and thereafter; earlier classes should consult the Bulletin in force in their first year as degree candidates at Brandeis.)

A strong, general education foundation is built through work in a variety of interconnected elements. The fundamental goals of the program are to improve students' abilities to integrate knowledge from different fields; to provide opportunities for the acquisition and development of writing, linguistic, and quantitative skills; to introduce flexibility in the scheduling of degree requirements throughout the undergraduate career; and to expand students' opportunities to interact with faculty in small class settings in the first year of instruction.

The basic outline of the requirement structure is as follows:

A. University Seminar in Humanistic Inquiries

All students in their first year will complete one semester course from this program. These courses enable participants to engage fundamental questions about human existence and meaning through the critical study of significant texts or artistic creations. This course may or may not be designated as a USEM+W course, those that are designated as USEM+W may be used to satisfy Option I of the first year writing requirement (see University Writing below).

B. University Writing

The writing requirement is satisfied by completing one of the following options:

Option I: One University Seminar in Humanistic Inquiries Plus Writing (USEM+W) taken in the first year, plus two writing intensive courses. The USEM+W course has a fourth hour of instruction focusing on composition that is closely linked, thematically and stylistically, to the academic disciplines that define the context and content of the course.

Option II: One University Writing Seminar (UWS) taken in the first year, plus one writing intensive course, in addition to one University Seminar in Humanistic Inquiries (also taken in the first year--see (A) above). The UWS is a full-credit course specifically dedicated to writing as a subject in its own right; it treats writing as a multifaceted art and gives students an opportunity to study and experiment with a broad range of writing styles.

All first year students will thus complete either a USEM+W or a UWS course. Both courses place special emphasis on forms of argumentation. Other areas of attention include critical reading, essay structure, revising, research skills, and proper documentation.

Over the summer, some students may be notified that they must take a placement test to determine their level of writing proficiency. Upon evaluation of the test, some students may be placed in Composition, a course taken in the fall semester. These students will then take either a USEM+W or a UWS and USEM in the spring semester.

Certain students whose native language is not English may be required to have their English writing skills evaluated and to have an interview during orientation before the beginning of classes. On the basis of this evaluation, students may be advised to sign up for an individual noncredit tutorial in the English as a Second Language Program to supplement their work in Composition, the University Seminar, the University Writing Seminar, or other writing courses. Transfer students may have their credits evaluated to see if they have successfully completed the necessary course to satisfy the first-year writing requirement. If they have not, they should see the Director of University Writing, in the English department, for alternative ways to complete this requirement.

The writing intensive component of the writing requirement is normally completed in a student's second or third year. Writing intensive courses, which are offered in departments throughout the University, are based in academic disciplines and include writing as an integral part of the course work. They involve frequent writing assignments, opportunities for rewriting, and consultations with the instructor. Writing intensive courses may serve multiple purposes, advancing students toward majors, minors, programs, non-Western and comparative studies, or distribution requirements. Courses numbered in the 90s shall not be eligible for a writing intensive designation.

C. Quantitative Reasoning

All students will take one course that is designated as meeting the quantitative reasoning requirement. These courses from various disciplines share a commitment to enabling students to understand, interpret, analyze, and evaluate numerical data and other quantitative information.

D. Foreign Language

The foreign language requirement is met by successful completion of a third semester course (normally numbered in the 30s) in the introductory language sequence. No more than one course (and never the final one) in the sequence may be taken on the pass-fail grading option.

The foreign language requirement at Brandeis reflects a belief in the importance of understanding language--our own and the language of others--as central to society and culture. The goal of the foreign language requirement, therefore, is to prepare students to understand better and to participate in a foreign culture by developing basic skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) in another language.

Alternatively, the requirement may be satisfied by achieving a score of 4 or 5 on an appropriate Advanced Placement Test, by a score of 62 or more on the appropriate CEEB SAT II test, or by a satisfactory score on a foreign language placement test administered on campus in the fall. Local placement exams may be taken only at the time of matriculation at Brandeis. Students for whom English is a second language may be exempted from this requirement. Students who satisfy the requirement by means of an advanced placement score shall be accorded, upon request, appropriate credit toward the Brandeis degree. Students may also fulfill this requirement by demonstrating proficiency in American Sign Language through testing at a site approved by Brandeis.

Individual placement decisions vary depending on the quality of high school training, the level of performance, and how recently the language was studied. Foreign language placements are valid for one year only; subsequent placements are based on the mandatory placement examinations and consultation with the appropriate language coordinator. Students are urged to begin fulfilling the foreign language requirement as soon as they matriculate and to complete the required sequence without interruption.

E. Non-Western and Comparative Studies

Students will complete one semester course that examines some particular culture, society, or region of the non-Western world, or that systematically makes comparisons across cultural barriers. This requirement aims to enlarge students' understanding of human achievements and potentialities beyond the Western tradition.

F. School Distribution

Students will complete one semester course in each of the four Schools of the University: Creative Arts, Humanities, Science, and Social Science. Because "double counting" generally is encouraged, most students will satisfy the school distribution requirement in the context of others, e.g., in satisfying the requirements of a concentration, a minor, or a program. Between and among general University requirements, the only limitations on double counting are as follows: University Seminars in Humanistic Inquiries are interdisciplinary in character, and have membership in no specific school of the University. The three course foreign language sequence may not be applied toward the humanities component of this requirement. No single course in a student's program may satisfy both the quantitative requirement and the science component of this requirement. No courses numbered in the 90s may apply toward this component. Finally, a single course may be used toward school distribution in only one school.

Field of Concentration

General Requirements

To obtain a bachelor's degree in the College of Arts and Sciences, students must complete the requirements of a field of concentration. Students are encouraged to choose an intended field of concentration after consultation with a faculty advisor in that department by the end of the first year, and required to do so by the end of the sophomore year. Students who have not declared a concentration by the end of their sophomore year will have a registration hold placed on their records blocking registration for the fall term of their junior year.

Certain departments permit qualified students to offer a limited number of related courses in other fields toward their concentration requirements. This option is open to students able to present a purposeful and coherent course of study as judged by the department; such requests are subject to rigorous examination. Students should consult individual departmental listings.

Completion of a Field of Concentration

To enroll in courses fulfilling concentration requirements, students must have received a C- or better in prerequisite courses.

A 2.00 (C) average is normally required in courses offered for completion of requirements for concentration.

School of Creative Arts

Courses in the School of Creative Arts teach the history of the visual and performing arts, engage students in the creative process itself, and develop artistic skills and aesthetic sensibilities. Requirements for concentration in each department are listed on the pages indicated.

???Fine Arts


? ??Theater Arts

Candidates for honors must have the approval of the appropriate department.

School of Humanities

The School of Humanities offers the undergraduate a systematic introduction to our literary and philosophical heritage. Requirements for concentration and honors are listed on the pages indicated.

???Classical Studies

???Comparative Literature

???English and American Literature

???European Cultural Studies

???French Language and Literature

???German Language and Literature

???Hebrew Language and Literature

???Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies

???Italian Studies

???Near Eastern and Judaic Studies


???Russian Language and Literature

???Spanish Language and Literature

At Brandeis, the following ancient languages are offered: Akkadian (the Semitic language and literature of Assyria and Babylonia preserved in cuneiform), Greek, Biblical Hebrew, and Latin.

School of Science

The School of Science provides the basic scientific training preparing students for entry into graduate school or for work at the intermediate level in their scientific fields. Students are encouraged to take such courses outside the School of Science as will best broaden and further their intellectual growth. Requirements for concentration are listed on the pages indicated.




???Computer Science

???General Science




School of Social Science

In addition to the basic coverage of the social sciences provided by the departmental disciplines noted below, the School of Social Science supports cross-disciplinary programs such as East Asian studies; education; environmental studies; film studies; health, law, and society; history of ideas; Islamic and Middle Eastern studies; international studies; journalism; legal studies; medieval and renaissance studies; peace and conflict studies; Russian and East European studies; social justice and social policy; and women's studies. The concentration in neuroscience is supported by various members of the psychology department. Requirements for concentration are listed on the pages indicated.

???African and Afro-American Studies

???American Studies




???Latin American Studies

???Linguistics and Cognitive Science




A student in the School of Social Science who is a candidate for a degree with honors will, in addition to the designated requirements for the several fields, also enroll in Senior Research (99). Candidates for honors must have the approval of the appropriate department. One reader of a senior thesis must come from outside the department of concentration.

Physical Education

Physical Education is an undergraduate degree requirement at Brandeis. This requirement is satisfied by successful completion of two, semester-long, noncredit, activity courses. Students should complete the physical education requirement by the end of their sophomore year.

New students may earn exemption from all or part of the physical education requirement by scoring well on a battery of physical fitness tests that are administered at the University each year. Participation in these exemption tests is voluntary, and the opportunity is available only during a student's first year at the University. For additional details, see the introductory remarks in the physical education course offerings section. Transfer students may offer physical education courses that appear on the transcripts of their previous institutions.

Academic Regulations

Academic Integrity

Academic integrity is central to the mission of Brandeis University. As stated in the Student Handbook, "Every member of the University community is expected to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty. A student shall not receive credit for work that is not the product of the student's own effort." Examples of penalties for a student found responsible for an infringement of academic honesty are no credit for the work in question, failure in the course, and the traditional range of conduct sanctions from disciplinary warning through permanent dismissal from the University.

It is one of the chief obligations of each member of Brandeis's academic community to understand the University's policies regarding academic honesty and to uphold those standards.

Allegations of academic dishonesty by undergraduate or graduate students are reported to the Office of Campus Life for adjudication within the Student Judicial System.

Rate of Work

The normal rate of work is defined as four courses per semester, each bearing four credit hours and each counting toward the 32 courses required as the graduation standard. Some courses, notably physical education courses, do not contribute toward the calculation of a legal course load or progress toward the graduation standard. Students enrolling in them do so as a supplement to an otherwise legal program of study.

Note that tuition bills are predicated upon the normal rate of work of four courses per term; consult the section on fees and expenses for explanation of the financial implication of course load variations.

The minimum rate of work is three semester courses per term and seven per academic year. A student electing to work at the three-course rate may not enroll in any of them on a pass/fail basis; similarly, a student may not drop to the three-course rate unless all are being taken for regular letter grades.

The maximum rate of work is 5.5 semester courses per term and 11 per academic year.

Rate of Work Limits

Minimum per semester??3

Maximum per semester??5.5

Minimum per year??7

Maximum per year??11

Exceptions to Rate of Work Provisions

The minimum course load for students in the Brandeis Adult Student Option is one course per semester. Students in this program pay tuition at the per-course rate.

With the permission of the University Registrar, a student may repeat a course previously completed with a passing grade; however, the repeated effort will not count toward the graduation standard of 32 courses nor contribute toward the grade point average.

Senior Reduced Rate Status

Senior Reduced Rate status enables seniors who have completed all requirements who wish to take additional courses in the spring term to take one or more semester courses and to pay at the per-course rate. To qualify for this status seniors must have:

A. Completed all General University Requirements.

B. Completed 32 semester courses, or 31 semester courses with the 32nd course being the second half of a year-long Senior Thesis course that would be completed in the spring term.

C. Completed the requirements in at least one field of concentration (modulo completion of a Senior Thesis as noted above).

Seniors petition through the Office of the University Registrar for this status. Such petitions must be approved before the first day of instruction in the spring term according to the deadlines promulgated by the Office of the University Registrar. Detailed information and petition forms may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar. Seniors participating in a four-year B.A./M.A. program are not eligible for reduced rate status. Seniors should file their petitions no later than November 9, 2001.

Otherwise, permission to carry fewer courses than outlined above may be granted only by the Committee on Academic Standing and only on grounds of illness or personal hardship. Permission to work and pay at the six-course per semester rate may be granted by the Committee in exceptional circumstances.

Changes in Courses

Registration and course enrollment occur at the beginning of each semester. During the first two weeks of each term, students finalize their course selections in consultation with their faculty advisors. Final course enrollment materials are filed at the end of that period.

Late Enrollment

Requests for program changes after the second week must be submitted to the Committee on Academic Standing. Petitions to add courses after the second week must be initiated in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs; such requests are granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Dropping Courses

Students who wish to drop a course, providing they adhere to the constraints of rate of work, may do so on or before the deadline announced in the University calendar, normally the Friday closest to the 50th day of instruction. Students who drop courses before the 25th day of instruction may drop without record. Students who drop courses between the 26th day of instruction and the 50th day of instruction will have the course appear on their permanent record with a "W" ("dropped") notation. Petitions to drop a course after the deadline must be initiated in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs; such requests are granted only in exceptional circumstances. If granted, the Committee on Academic Standing will normally instruct the University Registrar to record a grade of "W" ("dropped") on the student's permanent record.

Elective Courses

Any course not used in the fulfillment of a specific degree requirement or fulfillment of field of concentration requirements is considered an elective. Students are strongly encouraged to take elective courses to complement a strong liberal arts foundation.

Independent study courses and senior research courses may also be considered electives if not used to complete a field of concentration. Enrollment in such courses requires the signature of the instructor and department chair.


There is no formal audit status for undergraduate students. Students wishing to audit a course informally must secure the permission of the instructor.

Class Standing

The minimum number of semester courses required for advancement to each class is as follows: sophomore: 6; junior: 14; senior: 22. The minimum number of courses required for graduation is 32.


All students are expected to attend classes regularly. Students on probation are compelled by University policy to attend every class meeting; students on warning are allowed maximally three excused absences. In addition, an individual faculty member may establish attendance requirements for all students in the course, and may insist on the completion of all assignments even if a student was not in attendance for the period.

Classes begin at 10 minutes after the hour and end on the hour. Tardy students may be marked absent at the discretion of the instructor.

Reading Period

An instructor, with the approval of the department chair or interdepartmental committee chair, and the dean of arts and sciences, may institute a reading period in advanced courses. A reading period is a two-week period immediately preceding final examinations during which no classes are held. A student works on assigned course material not covered in class sessions. The reading period material will be dealt with in the final examinations.


Grades are reported to the Office of the University Registrar four times a year. In arriving at these grades, faculty members are obliged to utilize the same criteria for all students in a course, and are at liberty to consider any and all components of the student's work in a course: written work, recitations, laboratory technique and reports, special reports or research, and all examinations. Grading in full-year courses is cumulative so that spring grades take into account the fall semester work and replace the midyear grades. The following grades will be used with plus or minus where appropriate:

A???High Distinction



D???Passing, but Unsatisfactory


The letters "S" (Satisfactory) or "U" (Unsatisfactory) may be used as the midsemester grades for undergraduates. At midyear there must be a regular letter grade, even in full-year courses. The only exception is that "S" or "U" may be used in a full-year reading course (usually numbered 98 or 99).

The numerical equivalents of the grades as determined by the faculty are:

A+ or A??4.00












The University Registrar reports midyear and year-end grades to students in writing. Instructors notify students of midsemester grades.

Credit/No Credit Grading

Certain courses, specifically ENG 19a, ENG 109a and b, ENG 119a and b, MUS 10a,b-15a,b, MUS 111a and b, MUS 112a and b, and MUS 116a and b do not utilize letter grades. For pedagogical reasons, the grades assigned in these courses are either Credit ("CR") or No Credit ("NC"), accompanied by written evaluations that are not included in the student's transcript. These grades are the equivalent of "pass" and "fail" for purposes of computing grade point averages. A student may take an unlimited number of semester courses graded CR/NC. However, a course utilizing this grading pattern may not be undertaken in a semester in which the student has fewer than two courses (eight semester hours credit) enrolled on a regular letter graded basis.

Degrees with Honors

Students whose grade point average at the end of the junior year is 3.00 or above in their field of concentration may petition the department concerned for permission to work for honors in their field of concentration. Department distinction is awarded by each department or interdepartmental committee. The levels of distinction are "honors," "high honors," or "highest honors."

The awards of cum laude and magna cum laude require a cumulative grade point average of 3.500 and 3.700, respectively.

The award of summa cum laude requires a cumulative grade point average of 3.800 and the award of distinction in the field of concentration.

The University has a policy of depositing honors theses with the Library and making them available to future students and scholars for research purposes.

Phi Beta Kappa

The University is host to a chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society. Each year, a highly select group of seniors and an even more limited group of juniors are elected to this national honor society. An extremely high level of academic achievement is necessary. Membership in this society is by invitation only.

Pass/Fail Option

Undergraduate students who enter Brandeis in fall term 2000 and thereafter may enroll in up to four semester courses pass/fail. Grades of "pass" ("P" for performance at the D- level or above) will not be used in computing grade point averages. Grades of "fail" ("F" for performance below a D- level) will be converted to grades of "E" and will be used in computing grade point averages.

The following constraints apply to the use of the P/F grading option:

A. No more than one course may be taken pass/fail during a single term.

B. No courses used to fulfill any general University requirement may be taken on the pass/fail grading option. No more than one course (and never the final one) in the foreign language sequence may be taken pass/fail if the language is being offered in satisfaction of the foreign language requirement.

C. Normally, courses taken pass/fail will not satisfy concentration requirements. (Some departments may allow courses in excess of those required for concentration to be taken pass/fail; consult the undergraduate advising head for concentration-specific practices.)

D. The pass/fail option may not be used in a semester unless the course program includes at least three Brandeis courses (12 semester hours credit) enrolled on a regular letter grade basis. Hence, students working at a reduced rate of work may not use the pass/fail option.

E. In full-year courses the elected grading option (pass/fail or letter grade) applies to both semesters and may not be changed at midyear. (Such a course taken pass/fail would expend two of the allowable four pass/fail semesters.)

F. Selection of the pass/fail grading option for a course must be made on or before the deadline announced in the University calendar, normally the Friday closest to the 20th day of instruction. Courses elected on the pass/fail basis may be converted to a graded basis after the end of the semester and before the announced deadline in the following semester, normally the Friday closest to the 20th day of instruction.

G. In an undergraduate's final semester, conversion from a P/F grading basis to a letter-grade basis must be completed before the deadline announced in the University calendar for the receipt of Senior grades, normally three days after the last day of final examinations. Hence graduating seniors will be allowed to convert to a letter-grade basis at any time during their final semester until the deadline stated above.

Petitions will not be entertained for exception to the above constraints and deadlines. Arrangements between students and instructors do not constitute official pass/fail enrollment. Instructors are not informed of the grading option that a student has chosen. Students taking courses pass/fail must complete all assignments and examinations.

Incompletes and Excused Absences from Final Exams

Students who are unable to take their final examinations for legitimate reasons and wish to request a make-up exam must obtain advance authorization from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

If a student is absent without excuse from a term-end examination and does not obtain authorization for a make-up examination, the student will be given a grade of zero on the exam. The instructor will be asked to supply a grade for the course. If the instructor fails to do so on or before the institutional deadline, the registrar will enter a failing grade on the student's record.

A student is expected to complete the work in each course before the beginning of the examination period. Students unable to complete the work in a course by this time for legitimate reasons may request an Incomplete. Application forms must be obtained from and returned to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs by the last day of instruction. Approval of the instructor is required; students on warning or probation will not be granted incompletes. The work must be completed by a date stipulated by the instructor and in no case later than two weeks after the beginning of the next semester. The grade for the course must be filed by the instructor no later than the third week of the next semester.

The record of a student will display an incomplete or absence until a permanent grade has been provided or until these designations expire. Upon expiration, if a permanent final grade has not been submitted to replace the temporary grade, the registrar is instructed to record an "E" for the course. Such a grade may be altered only by special petition to the Committee on Academic Standing.

When other required academic exercises, such as laboratory assignments, minor papers, or quizzes are not completed, and when such noncompliance is excused, instructors may, at their discretion, require the work to be made up or not count the assignment in determining a grade. When there is no satisfactory excuse for the incomplete work, instructors may record a failing grade.

Academic Status

At the end of each semester, the Committee on Academic Standing announces the Dean's List of honor students. Students are placed on the Dean's List when they have earned a grade point average in the preceding semester of 3.50 or higher and have not received a D, E, U, F, or NC (labs and physical education included) or more than one C; and have received a regular letter grade in at least three regular, four-credit courses. Seniors doing honors work in the fall may receive an "S" in that course (99) and still be eligible. Dean's List students receive formal acknowledgment of this achievement from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Degree eligibility normally requires a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.000.

A satisfactory semester record contains no grades of D, E, F, or NC and requires a semester grade point average of at least 2.000. At the conclusion of each semester the Committee on Academic Standing shall review the records of students whose performance is unsatisfactory. Such students will be placed on warning, probation, or required withdrawal status, according to the guidelines specified below:

Semester Record?Semester GPA < 2.000?Semester GPA 2.000 or >

1 D????Probation????Warning/Probation*

1 E, F, or NC??Probation????Warning/Probation

More than one unsatisfactory grade?Probation/Withdrawal?Warning/Probation

*If a student had an unsatisfactory record in a previous semester.

To be restored to good standing, a student on warning or probation must earn in the following semester a satisfactory record with no incomplete grades. Repeated semesters of unsatisfactory work may lead to required withdrawal for a period of one year. The University may require withdrawal at any time with a student whose academic performance is so profoundly deficient as to suggest an inability to meet academic requirements. Students are informed in writing of any change in academic status.

Involuntary withdrawal from the University occasioned by academic deficiency requires the student to interrupt formal study for a minimum of one year. After that time the Committee on Academic Standing will consider application for readmission. Primary considerations in making readmission decisions are evidence of sustained and productive activity during the period of absence from the campus, evidence of serious academic purpose, and pertinent letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate's readiness to resume formal study. Courses taken for academic credit while on involuntary withdrawal from the University are not eligible for transfer toward the Brandeis degree.

Leaves of Absence and Voluntary Withdrawal from the University

Any degree-seeking undergraduate student who has been in residence for two semesters, and who has a complete and satisfactory record from the preceding semester, is eligible for a leave of absence. A leave of absence is granted for one or two semesters and may be extended once only. Normally, leaves are arranged in advance through the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. On an exceptional basis, personal leave may be granted for a semester in progress, in which case permission must be secured from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs no later than the 20th day of instruction. Students are required to inform the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs in writing of their intentions at a specified date prior to the beginning of the term in which they are scheduled to register. Credit will not be granted for academic work taken at other institutions during a leave of absence, except as stipulated in the section titled "Leave of Absence with Credit."

A student wishing to withdraw from the University may do so at any time up to and inclusive of the last day of instruction. Withdrawals requested after the last day of instruction must be approved by the Committee on Academic Standing. When a student withdraws during or at the end of a semester course enrollments are not expunged from his/her record, rather a grade of "W" ("dropped") is entered for each course. From students who withdraw in good standing, the Committee on Academic Standing will consider applications for readmission after one full semester of absence from the campus. Other students may apply for readmission after one calendar year has elapsed.

In order to obtain a leave of absence or to withdraw from the University, a student must consult the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs and obtain clearance from all appropriate administrative offices.

Extended Credit

A student who has completed eight semesters of study at Brandeis (or the equivalent in the case of transfer students) and who has earned a minimum of 120 semester-course credits (equivalent to 30 four credit courses) is eligible for Extended Credit status. This status allows completion of required coursework only. Extended credit courses may be taken over the summer (at Brandeis or elsewhere) or during the academic year either at Brandeis with tuition being charged on a per-course basis, or at another university (if the student has not already transferred in the maximum number of courses allowed). Students who complete their coursework on Extended Credit status are awarded their degrees at the first May Commencement following the evaluation and posting of the extended credit to their academic records. The award and posting of extended credit is dependent upon the following: prior approval by the Office of the University Registrar of the courses to be taken; grades of the appropriate level (B- for summer courses, C- for courses during the academic year); and the receipt by the Office of the University Registrar of an official transcript from the school where any extended credit courses were completed.

Students who do not meet the above criteria (eight semesters and 120 course credits) are not eligible for this option and must petition for a ninth semester in residence through the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Special Academic Opportunities

Dual Bachelor's/Master's Degree Programs

The four-year Bachelor's/Master's Program is designed to enable exceptional or gifted undergraduates to earn two degrees simultaneously during their period of study at Brandeis University. If a student has not completed the requirements for the master's portion of the program at the end of the fourth year then only the bachelor's degree is awarded.

Any program offering graduate study is eligible to offer a four-year dual degree program. At present, participating programs are anthropology, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, classical studies, history, mathematics, neuroscience, physics, and politics.

Requirements for the bachelor’s degree, defined by the College of Arts and Sciences, remain unaffected by participation in the program. Students will be eligible for the simultaneous award of the bachelor’s and master's degrees if, while completing undergraduate requirements, they can:

A. fulfill a minimum of three years' residence on campus, one of which must be study at the graduate level;

B. submit a master's thesis in departments requiring one (Whether such thesis may also be considered for undergraduate departmental honors may differ among programs, and will be addressed specifically in the program requirements.);

C. complete a total of 38 courses (152 semester-hour course credits), of which at least four must be at the graduate level and not counted toward undergraduate concentration requirements;

D. complete all other departmental and University requirements that apply to earning a master's degree in the chosen department. Specifically, undergraduates should be aware that "B-" is the minimal grade that yields progress toward a graduate degree.

A student must make formal written application for admission to this program on forms available at the Office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. This must be done by May 1 of the student's junior year (usually the sixth semester at Brandeis). Transfer students should apply by the fourth semester in residence. (Interested transfer students are advised to consult with their advisors and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences when they first enter Brandeis in order to plan their course of study.) All applications must include a proposed course of study, specifying how all degree requirements will be met. Seniors participating in the four-year B.A./M.A. program are not eligible for Senior Reduced Rate status.

Computer science, international economics and finance, and Near Eastern and Judaic Studies offer programs in which the bachelor's degree is conferred at the end of the fourth year, and the requirements for a master's degree are satisfied with one additional year of study. Consult the departments for details.

Independent Concentration

An independent concentration offers students with interdisciplinary academic interests the opportunity to pursue a self-designed course of study with the support of appropriate faculty members and the approval of the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. Independent concentration proposals include courses in at least two, and preferably more, departments at the University and form an integrated program focusing on some issue, theme, or subject area not available within the context of existing departmental concentrations. An independent concentration must be declared before the end of the student's junior year.

Additional information and guidance in designing an independent concentration may be obtained in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Interdepartmental Programs

Brandeis University offers the following interdepartmental programs at the undergraduate level:

???East Asian Studies


???Environmental Studies

???Film Studies

???Health and Society

???History of Ideas

???International Studies

???Internet Studies

???Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies

???Italian Studies


???Latin American Studies

???Legal Studies

???Medieval and Renaissance Studies

???Peace and Conflict Studies

???Religious Studies

???Russian and East European Studies

???Social Justice and Social Policy

???Women's Studies

Interdepartmental programs provide a structured, intellectually coherent opportunity to explore areas of study that are interdisciplinary in scope. An interdepartmental program augments, complements, or supplements (but does not replace) a field of concentration. Completion of the requirements of an interdepartmental program is so noted on the student's transcript.


In addition to a field of concentration, students have the opportunity to select a "minor." A minor consists of a coherent group of courses defined by a department that is either a limited version of a field of concentration or a more specialized subset of a field. Minors are optional; they do not replace a field of concentration. Satisfactory completion of them is noted on students' transcripts.

Minors are available in African and Afro-American studies, American literature, anthropology, art history, chemistry, classical studies, computer science, creative writing, English literature, French language and literature, German language and literature, Hebrew language and literature, international business, linguistics, mathematics, music, Near Eastern and Judaic studies, philosophy, physics, Russian language and literature, Spanish language and literature, and theater arts. The specific requirements of each minor can be found with the departmental listings in this publication.

Undergraduate Research Opportunities

Brandeis offers special opportunities for undergraduates to engage in scholarly research under the guidance of the faculty. Funds are available on a competitive basis to support student research enterprises during the academic year and during the summer months. Further details about research opportunities for undergraduates may be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, and the McNair Scholars Program.

Internship for Credit

Internships allow students to apply the liberal arts skills of research, writing and analysis in work world situations, thereby enhancing the development of these skills. A credit-bearing internship should have a significant academic component, provide a valuable learning experience for the undergraduate, and make a meaningful contribution to the student's program of study. It should require use of research, writing, and/or analytical skills and include a specific project to be accomplished in the designated time period. Work done for an internship will be unpaid.

Credit-bearing internships are offered by departments with the course number "92" and the course title "Internship and Analysis." Internship courses are subject to the normal enrollment deadlines, but require manual enrollment, which must be done at the Office of the University Registrar. Participation is normally limited to juniors and seniors. A student may not receive credit for more than two such courses.

Expected Components of Academic Year Internships

Students should work the equivalent of at least eight and no more than 15 hours per week for at least 10 weeks of a 13 week semester. Students should complete readings and written assignments considered appropriate by the instructor. Examples of assignments include submission of an annotated bibliography of readings relevant to the work site, several short papers (or one long paper), a journal or log of experiences, and papers completed for the internship. Faculty sponsors meet with interns at least once every two weeks to discuss research methodologies, the bibliography or other assignments, work site experiences, etc. Faculty sponsors and site supervisors should communicate at the beginning, midterm, and end of the semester. The academic work related to the internship should contribute a significant portion of the final grade, but that work performed at the internship may also be included in the grading process. The grade for the internship course is determined solely by the faculty member.

Expected Components of Summer Internships

Credit for a summer internship may be earned during the following fall semester if the internship and appropriate academic work are successfully completed. Students should observe the guidelines established for academic year internships with the following adjustments. Arrangements with the faculty sponsor should be completed prior to the student's leaving Brandeis at the end of the spring term. Students should work the equivalent of at

least six weeks and at least 100 hours during the summer internship (e.g., 10 hours per week for 10 weeks, 17 hours per week for six weeks, etc.). Faculty sponsors should meet with students at least six times during the fall semester to supervise readings and written assignments related to the internship. although work performed at the internship site may be included

in the grading process, the internship grade is determined solely by the instructor.

The Hiatt Career Center has established a list of internship sites that offer structured site supervision. Students are encouraged to complete post-internship evaluations at the Center that will then be shared with other Brandeis students seeking internships.

Undergraduate Peer Assistantships for Credit

Peer teaching yields many benefits to undergraduate teachers and learners. The University has established uniform standards for the utilization of undergraduate peer assistants and for the awarding of academic credit for such activities. Opportunities to serve as peer assistants are by invitation and generally limited to juniors and seniors who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement. Undergraduates serving in this capacity may be compensated for their services or receive one, and only one, semester course credit for their assistance during their Brandeis career. Credit-bearing peer assistantships are enrolled under the course number "94" and the course title "Peer Assistantship" and are subject to the normal enrollment procedures and deadlines.

Tufts University School of Medicine Early Acceptance Program

The Tufts University School of Medicine Early Acceptance Program is designed for academically strong undergraduate students who are pursuing a premedical curriculum. Successful completion of this program assures candidates of acceptance to Tufts University School of Medicine after graduation.

Interested candidates apply to the program in the spring of their sophomore year and are expected to have completed at Brandeis two semesters of general chemistry and biology with laboratories and one semester of organic chemistry with a grade point average of 3.5 or better, and a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 at the time of application. Students must apply by March 1 and will be notified of their acceptance in July. Accepted students are expected to complete one year of physics, mathematics, English and American literature, and requirements for graduation with a B+ average before entering Tufts University Medical School.

Once accepted to the program, students will have access to a faculty mentoring program at Tufts Medical School, and the opportunity to participate in special seminars. Accepted students will have until August 1 following their sophomore year to accept the offer via the AMCAS early decision process. If a student does not accept the offer, he or she has not jeopardized the chance to apply to any other medical school. For statistical purposes only, the MCAT is required for accepted students and must be taken prior to matriculation at the medical school.

Columbia University Law School's Accelerated Program in Interdisciplinary Legal Education

Brandeis is affiliated with Columbia University Law School in a special program that allows two outstanding students to gain admission to the Law School after three years at Brandeis. Students must have completed 28 courses, have taken the Law School Admission Test, and have been nominated by Brandeis after a rigorous screening process. Students accepted by the Columbia University Law School will complete their four courses required for the completion of the Brandeis degree during their second and third years at the Law School. They will be awarded the Brandeis B.A. and the Columbia J.D. simultaneously.

Students interested in this program are advised to seek additional information at the outset of their fourth semester in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Columbia University School of Engineering Combined Degree Program

Brandeis University and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science of Columbia University have established a dual degree program whereby students complete three years of coursework at Brandeis University, then spend two years at Columbia University to complete the requirements for an engineering degree. Students admitted to the program and completing it successfully would be awarded a B.A. in physics (or possibly some other science concentration) from Brandeis University and a B.S. in engineering from Columbia University.

Interested students should consult the program coordinator in the Physics department as soon as possible in order to plan their curriculum to meet Columbia prerequisites. Each engineering department at Columbia has its own set of prerequisites that can be obtained from the program coordinator. Interested candidates must apply to the program prior to January 1 for admission to Columbia University in the subsequent fall semester. Before matriculating at Columbia, a typical physics major would have completed at Brandeis: the General University Requirements and at least the following courses (or equivalents): PHYS 11a,b, 19a,b 20a,b; MATH 10a,b, 21a,b, 37a; CHEM 11a,b, 18a,b; COSI 11a; and one course in economics. Students should also have earned a grade point average of 3.0 or above. Letters of recommendation from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs and from the program coordinator at Brandeis are also required to apply.

Boston College Law School Early Acceptance Program

The Brandeis University and Boston College Law School Early Acceptance Program (EAP) creates an opportunity for outstanding Brandeis University juniors to gain admission to Boston College Law School in the summer before their senior year of study. In addition to relieving the pressure of the law school application process, it frees seniors to focus more time and energy on internships, senior theses, and broadening their undergraduate studies; the program also ensures that students who are certain of their law school plans can gain admission to an outstanding law school.

Students with an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 3.6 at the end of their junior year are eligible to apply. Applicants are required to sit for the June LSAT examination following their junior year of study. No particular concentration is required, but preference will be given to students who have exhibited a passion for learning in a variety of disciplines, and who have outstanding academic achievements. Students must maintain an exemplary level of academic performance during their senior year. Applications will be screened through the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. Additional information on this program is available through the prelaw advisor in the Hiatt Career Center.

Up to five qualified students each academic year may be offered admission to Boston College Law School upon their graduation from Brandeis University after four years. Applications must be received by Boston College Law School no later than July 1 following the student’s junior year. Accepted students will be informed by August 15 and will have until September 15 to accept the offer of admission.

Brandeis Summer School

The Brandeis Summer School offers students a diverse selection of undergraduate courses in two, five-week sessions. Special summer programs on campus and abroad provide students with further opportunities for in-depth study.

The student has the opportunity to enroll in courses to meet University degree requirements, accelerate individual programs of study, work toward a double concentration, or take enrichment courses. These courses may not be used to meet the minimum residence requirement. The average summer program course has a small student enrollment, generating a rigorous but informal atmosphere for teacher-student interaction.

Of particular interest to students are the strong summer program offerings in the area of premedical education, intensive language study, computer science courses, the wide variety of liberal arts selections, and special programs in which academic work complements practical work experience.

A student may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree for no more than three semester courses in one summer.

For full information, see the Summer School Bulletin or contact the Rabb School of Summer and Continuing Studies, 781-736-3424.

Preparation for Professional Training

The College of Arts and Sciences does not design courses of study with specific vocational goals in mind. In pursuing a broad education in the liberal arts and sciences, students develop a firm foundation for subsequent professional education.


Architectural schools are looking for solid experience in any field of concentration. It is not necessary to concentrate in fine arts. There are several kinds of courses, however, that should be taken: basic calculus and basic physics; basic design, life drawing, and as many other fine arts studio courses as practicable; courses in architectural history; and principles of urban studies and other urban studies courses, if feasible.

In addition, past experience indicates that students should prepare an art portfolio consisting of studies prepared in conjunction with basic design or another studio course. Finally, summer employment in architectural offices, gained on the student's own initiative, remains useful.


Most law schools advise undergraduates to concentrate in what interests them since the later specific legal training will build on the advantages of a sound liberal arts education.

Although there is no prescribed program of study for prospective law school applicants, many concentrate in such social sciences as politics, economics, history, and American studies. Since law schools tend to look for evidence of a rigorous schedule of courses and high verbal competence, a background in logic, the natural sciences, and English is desirable. Although courses from the Legal Studies Program might familiarize the prospective law student with law school material, it is not necessary that such courses be taken as preparation for professional training.

Prospective applicants to law school should consult the Hiatt Career Development Center for law school catalogs and Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) registration materials. Also available in that office is the Brandeis Prelaw Handbook, which includes a survey of the experiences of recent Brandeis alumni in seeking admission to law school, as well as a more detailed description of law school application procedures. Several members of the faculty serve informally as advisors to prospective law school applicants. Students requesting a dean's certification should contact the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Medicine and Dentistry

The course of study for pre-health professionals at Brandeis is more than simply a collection of required courses. An assistant dean in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs is available for advice and guidance throughout a student's undergraduate career. In the junior year, each student is assigned a faculty member on the Board of Premedical Advisors. These advisors provide ongoing guidance, aid in the application procedure, and participate in the preparation of letters of recommendation.

The basic requirements for pre-health professionals are satisfied by the following courses: two introductory courses (plus laboratory) in general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology.

A Guide for Premedical Students at Brandeis University, a comprehensive handbook that addresses all aspects of the premedical curriculum and the process of applying to medical schools, is available to all premedical students through the Web at


While the University does not have a field of concentration in education, it offers a program that fulfills Massachusetts's requirements for teacher certification and at least partially fulfills those of other states as well. Students interested in preparing for a career as a teacher in preschool, primary, or secondary schools should inform themselves of certification requirements in the state where they plan to work and should consult the Director of the Education Program.

Off-Campus Study

Study Abroad

Brandeis University permits students to apply credits earned if they enroll in specified programs abroad that provide a sound course of study to enrich and enhance the American collegiate experience. Students may receive credit toward their Brandeis degrees through participation in educational programs abroad that have been approved by the University Curriculum Committee on the recommendation of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. This committee may permit eligible students to apply credits earned if they enroll in overseas programs of American universities, or in special cases, to pursue individual programs of study at foreign universities. Over 230 programs in 62 countries have been approved for Brandeis students' participation. The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs maintains a resource library of materials on approved programs and offers counseling to undergraduates interested in enriching their Brandeis experience with a period of international study. Eligibility criteria include appropriate class standing (usually junior), good academic standing, the approval of the department of concentration, and a plan for completing all Brandeis degree and concentration requirements within eight semesters.

Credit for work completed abroad will be accepted from those programs previously approved for overseas study by Brandeis University, or from programs that receive special approval from the University Curriculum Committee according to University guidelines. Such transfer of course credits will not necessarily imply that the work will be accepted for concentration credit by individual departments. In order to receive credit for work done abroad students must return to Brandeis for at least one semester at an eligible rate of work.

Outstanding students may apply for a limited number of special scholarship grants to aid them in completing their program of study abroad. The Abram L. Sachar International Fellowship Program awards stipends for international study to exceptional students who plan to study abroad in the junior year, or who are graduate students undertaking pre-dissertation or dissertation research abroad. The Saul Epstein-Meyer Schindler Endowment for overseas study provides additional funding for humanities students, while the Helen Ke Scholarship provides funding for students studying abroad in China. These programs are competitive; awards are made on the basis of academic excellence and financial need. The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs provides information and assistance in applying for the Sachar scholarships, as well as for overseas study grants available through the Fulbright, Rhodes, Marshall, and DAAD competitions.

University College London--Brandeis University Affiliation

University College London offers up to five places annually to Brandeis University juniors who have been selected by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs as academically well qualified for a full year of study in London. Final admissions decisions are made by University College London. Those Brandeis students who are admitted through the official affiliation process will receive a reduction in the cost of tuition and may use Brandeis financial aid awards as appropriate.

University College London is the oldest and largest constituent college of the University of London consortium. It is located in the heart of the city, not far from the British Museum. Brandeis students are fully integrated into the academic and social life of the college.

Biosphere 2 Center--Brandeis University Affiliation

Columbia University's Biosphere 2 Center offers up to four places per semester to Brandeis University students who have been selected by the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs as academically qualified for study in Arizona. Final admission decisions are made by Biosphere. Those Brandeis students who are admitted through the official affiliation program may use Brandeis financial aid awards as appropriate.

Columbia University's Biosphere 2 Center is a research facility that is home to a tropical rainforest, savanna, ocean, desert, estuary, and agricultural center. The program offers course work for science and nonscience concentrators with an interest in earth systems and concern for the environment.

Leave of Absence with Credit

Students in good standing may petition for a personal leave without credit, a leave to study abroad with credit, or a domestic leave of absence with credit. Other sections of the Bulletin are devoted to leave of absence without credit and study abroad. This section deals exclusively with domestic credit-bearing leaves of absence. To qualify for full credit transfer upon return, a student on credit-bearing leave status must work at a full rate of work as defined by the host institution and earn grades of at least a C-. Applicants must be in good standing; must have a complete and satisfactory record in the most recent semester of Brandeis study; must have completed at least two semesters at Brandeis; and must have compelling academic reasons. Only in exceptional cases may the senior year be spent on leave of absence with credit. No more than one course in a full course load may be taken in a subject area that will not transfer to the Brandeis degree.

Proposals for domestic leave of absence with credit must be submitted prior to the period of leave, contain a detailed course of study for one or two semesters of full-time work of demonstrable academic merit; bear the approval of the applicant's faculty advisor; and develop a feasible plan for satisfying all degree requirements by the expected graduation date.

Complete information on the regulations governing this program and assistance in preparing proposals may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.


Full-time Brandeis students enjoy cross-registration privileges with Babson, Bentley, and Wellesley Colleges, and with the undergraduate schools of arts and sciences at Boston College, Boston University, and Tufts University. Under this program students may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree without payment of additional tuition through satisfactory completion of courses taken on these neighboring campuses. A cross-registration course may be the fourth or fifth course in a student's program--a student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit-hours in Brandeis courses to be eligible to cross-register. Cross-registration courses do not count toward the 16 courses required for residency. Cross-registration courses and grades appear on Brandeis transcripts. Grades earned in cross-registered courses are not used in the calculation of the grade point average. Additional information may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Summer School Credit

A student may attend daytime summer schools conducted by accredited colleges and universities for credit toward the bachelor's degree. In order to be assured that credit will be granted upon satisfactory completion, students should obtain approval in advance from the Office of the University Registrar. Normally, courses must be taken at summer programs of at least six weeks in duration; however, the Committee on Academic Standing may approve for credit selected programs with a minimum of 37 contact hours and five weeks in duration. For summer work taken at institutions other than Brandeis, only grades of B- or higher will receive credit. A student may earn credit for no more than three semester courses in one summer.

Field Study

During junior or senior year, undergraduates may undertake a substantial research project in certain fields of concentration in lieu of four semester courses. Research may be conducted either on campus or in the field--execution of the project may involve prolonged absence from the Brandeis campus--at another institution, government agency, etc. The field study project must have the approval of the student's department of concentration. The project will be supervised by a faculty advisor assigned by the department, and a second member of the faculty will participate in evaluation of the student's work and the assignment of a grade. Work in the project may occupy a full semester or it may be of two semesters' duration. In the latter case, the two semesters must be consecutive. Students may receive no more than four semester-course credits for field study, and may offer no more than two semester-course credits from the field study course toward the department's concentration requirements. Interested students should explore the possibility of field study in their concentrations with a faculty member in their department of concentration. Through affiliation with the School for Field Studies, up to four semester course credits may be earned for work at one of five environmentally oriented study centers abroad.