Entrance Counseling and Promissory Note Signing
Entrance counseling is a federal and institutional requirement for all student loan borrowers.
All first-time Stafford Loan and borrowers must complete entrance counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for each type of loan. These interactive counseling sessions will help you to understand the rights and responsibilities that come with your student loan(s).
For most students, the MPN will cover the loans for their entire time at Brandeis University.
Federal Direct Stafford Loans
- To begin your Federal Direct Stafford Entrance Counseling session online, go to the U.S. Department of Education's Direct Loan Servicing website https://studentaid.gov and click the "Log In" button.
(You will need your FSA ID to sign in. If you do not have an FSA ID, please apply for one at https://fsaid.ed.gov. If you need assistance in obtaining an FSA ID and password, you can also call 1-800-557-7394)
- Select the I’M IN SCHOOL Checklist and select the link to Complete Entrance Counseling.
- Once you have completed your entrance counseling, you will need to Complete Loan Agreement. From the I’M IN SCHOOL Checklist select the link to Complete Loan Agreement, then select START for MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans.
Brandeis Institutional Loan
(Brandeis Loan, Saval Loan or Wien Loan)
If you have been awarded a Brandeis Institutional Loan (Brandeis Loan, Saval Loan or Wien Loan), you must have entrance counseling and sign your Promissory note on the ECSI website. Since these loans do not have a MPN, a new note will need to be signed for each year you receive one of these loans.
When your Brandeis Loan promissory note is ready to sign, you will receive an email from ECSI with a PIN to use.
You will log on to
1. Log on to ECSI's website at https://www.ecsi.net/promWE5
2. Provide your Social Security Number or Student ID Number, last name, and date of birth.
3. Enter your ECSI PIN when requested for authentication.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at 781-736-3700.