For information on starting your own student business, please contact the Department of Student Activities at (781) 736-5065.
The Department of Student Activities works with and advises some of the very successful student-run businesses on campus. For information about these businesses, please explore Cholmondeley's Coffee House, Student Production Services, and Student Service Bureau.
If you are interested in starting your own business, your first stop should be the Department of Student Activities. Brandeis encourages all types of learning, both inside and outside of the classroom, including entrepreneurship; however, students must gain approval for all personal income-generating activity that uses university property. This authority is given to staff within the Department of Student Activities, as found in Section 14 of "Rights and Responsibilities."
Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Student Activities Stephanie Grimes manages all student commercial enterprises. Please meet with her before you embark on your business. You will be asked to develop a business plan that includes:
- Item or service for sale
- Detailed description of that item or service
- Marketing plan
- Brandeis resources needed for the enterprise
- Other information, as needed
In addition, we advise that you review the following sections of "Rights and Responsibilities" so that you are aware of policies and limitations that might impact the approval processes:
- Section 6: Care of University and Personal Property
- Section 9.7: Distribution of Postings
- Section 9.11: Solicitation in the Halls
- Section 12: Use of Campus Facilities
- Section 15: Conduct Affecting the Name and Tax-Exempt Status of the University
- Section 15.5: Guidelines Concerning Use of University Facilities, Name, Seal or Logo