Connect with the Ethics Center
Sign up for weekly updates and news from the Ethics Center
News & Highlights
Listen to a presentation and performance by Director of Peacebuilding and the Arts Cynthia Cohen and musician, educator, activist and cultural worker Jane Wilburn Sapp: "Arts, Well-being and Resilience: Ideas and Music" was presented at the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC) on May 6. Note: the presentation begins at 15 minutes and 30 seconds, with an intro by UBC Professor of Law Michelle LeBaron.
The 2014 Sorensen Fellows are putting social justice into action around the globe this summer. Read about the work of Ibrahima Diaboula '16, Shimon Mazor '16, Elad Mehl '16, Ngobitak Ndiwane '16, and Sneha Walia '15.
The Ethics Center was a cosponsor of this conference at Brandeis, hosted by the American Studies Department, marking the 50th anniversary of the slaying of James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner. Among the featured events: a keynote address by Congressman John Lewis, a screening of Stanley Nelson's documentary Freedom Summer (2014), and a discussion of Satchmo at the Waldorf with John Douglas Thompson and Terry Teachout. Info: http://www.amstconference2014.com
The 2013 edition of the Brandeis Institute for International Judges (BIIJ) report includes discussions on the expanding impact of human rights law on international courts and tribunals, the national impact of international human rights norms, the universality of human rights, the role of of state engagement and diplomacy in international justice, and the future of international courts and tribunals. Read or download [PDF].
The Ethics Center and the Student Union presented the third annual weeklong "festival of social justice" at Brandeis University Feb. 1-10, featuring talks, performances, exhibits, discussions, and more. It was a great success! See photos, videos, summaries of events, and more....
Agonizing that you couldn’t make all 55 'DEIS Impact 2014 events? No worries! Here are 10 moments Ethics Center Leadership Council member Mia Katan '15 found particularly inspirational: Exploring Ethics Blog. What inspired you? Let us know in the comments!
The International Center for Ethics, Justice, and Public Life encompasses the Program in Peacebuilding and the Arts, Programs in International Justice and Society, and a range of Brandeis campus programs:
Promoting Just Societies and a Global Rule of Law
- Judicial colloquium held in The Netherlands addressing sexual violence under international and domestic law in the case of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Full news report and slideshow available.
- Brandeis Institute for International Judges: Complete report of the ninth session now available [PDF].
- His Royal Highness Prince Zeid of Jordan spoke at Brandeis on "Nuremberg: the Future of International Criminal Justice." Details, video and PDF.
Transforming Violence Through Creativity
- Acting Together on the World Stage: Anthology, documentary and toolkit now available.
- Finding Common Ground through Oral History and the Arts: Bahrain/Brandeis partnership brings the Ulafa'a Reconciliation Art Project to Brandeis. Details and video.
Knowledge, Action & Reflection for the Next Generation of Social Justice Leaders
- Sorensen Fellowship: the 2013 anthology of narratives is now in print: Parallel Paths [PDF].
- "Advocacy for Policy Change" (LGLS 161b) students work with Massachusetts legislators and advocacy groups to reform and propose laws. Read more.
- 'DEIS Impact: Looking back at the third annual Brandeis "festival of social justice" – with photos, videos, summaries of events, and more...
- The Center hosts two University-wide awards on behalf of the Office of the President: the Joseph B. and Toby Gittler Prize and the Richman Distinguished Fellowship in Public Life.