Connect with the Ethics Center
Sign up for weekly updates and news from the Ethics Center
News & Highlights
The Brandeis Institute for International Judges (BIIJ) provides members of the international judiciary with the opportunity to meet and discuss critical issues concerning the theory and practice of international justice. The 10th BIIJ is took place in Malta in January, organized by the Center in collaboration with the University of Malta. Read more.
The 2014 Sorensen Fellows reflect on their experiences in the 2014 anthology
"From Looking to Bearing Witness".
Read more about the work of Ibrahima Diaboula '16, Shimon Mazor '16, Elad Mehl '16, Ngobitak Ndiwane '16, Sneha Walia '15, and Shane Weitzman '16.
This semester the Center is helping to launch a new minor at Brandeis focused on the intersection of peacebuilding, justice and culture. Read more about the CAST minor.
Read an overview of the 2014 Ethical Inquiries.
The Center cosponsored a documentary film screening, talk, and reception with Judge Albie Sachs and filmmaker Abby Ginzberg. Albie Sachs: anti-apartheid activist, lawyer, and South African Constitutional Court Judge. Imprisoned, tortured, exiled, blown up by a car bomb…and still he fought for justice and reconciliation. Full details.
Listen to a presentation and performance by Director of Peacebuilding and the Arts Cynthia Cohen and musician, educator, activist and cultural worker Jane Wilburn Sapp: "Arts, Well-being and Resilience: Ideas and Music" was presented at the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC) on May 6. Note: the presentation begins at 15 minutes and 30 seconds, with an intro by UBC Professor of Law Michelle LeBaron.
The International Center for Ethics, Justice, and Public Life encompasses the Program in Peacebuilding and the Arts, Programs in International Justice and Society, and a range of Brandeis campus programs:
Promoting Just Societies and a Global Rule of Law
- Judicial colloquium held in The Netherlands addressing sexual violence under international and domestic law in the case of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Full news report and slideshow available.
- Brandeis Institute for International Judges: Complete report of the ninth session now available [PDF].
- His Royal Highness Prince Zeid of Jordan spoke at Brandeis on "Nuremberg: the Future of International Criminal Justice." Details, video and PDF.
Transforming Violence Through Creativity
- Acting Together on the World Stage: Anthology, documentary and toolkit now available.
- Finding Common Ground through Oral History and the Arts: Bahrain/Brandeis partnership brings the Ulafa'a Reconciliation Art Project to Brandeis. Details and video.
Knowledge, Action & Reflection for the Next Generation of Social Justice Leaders
- Sorensen Fellowship: the 2014 anthology of narratives is now in print: From Looking to Bearing Witness [PDF].
- "Advocacy for Policy Change" (LGLS 161b) students work with Massachusetts legislators and advocacy groups to reform and propose laws. Read more.
- 'DEIS Impact: Looking ahead to the fourth annual Brandeis "festival of social justice" – with photos, videos, summaries of events, and more...
- The Center hosts two University-wide awards on behalf of the Office of the President: the Joseph B. and Toby Gittler Prize and the Richman Distinguished Fellowship in Public Life.