Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Scholarship
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Scholarship (DEIS) is designed to support U.S. citizens and permanent residents from historically underrepresented backgrounds — including first generation college graduates — in pursuing a world-class Brandeis education. Eligible applicants seeking full-time master's degrees in select Humanities, Social Sciences, Music, and Biotechnology programs will be considered for this scholarship.(Participating programs and their corresponding deadlines can be found below.)
Our hope is that many of our DEIS scholars will move on to leading doctoral programs around the country. At GSAS, we are committed to supporting students as they navigate the challenging and exciting world of graduate study. Close relationships between students and faculty are a cornerstone of the Brandeis experience, and we take pride in the mentoring that our faculty and Center for Career and Professional Development staff provide. Our cohort of scholarship recipients will be able to take advantage of these already-proven support services as they prepare for doctoral applications and career opportunities.
For the 2020-21 cohort, Brandeis will offer five DEIS awards to students in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Music, and three DEIS awards to students in Biotech. The award will include:
- Full-tuition scholarship
- $10,000 stipend
- Full credit toward an individual health insurance plan
- Mentoring, counseling, workshops, and peer support to coach the cohort through the master's programs and beyond
Photo Credit: Simon Goodacre
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences welcomed eight Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Scholarship (DEIS) recipients to campus in August 2019. The scholars represent the fourth cohort of the DEIS program, which began in 2016. The recipients will study Ancient Greek and Roman Studies, Biotechnology, English, and Philosophy. Read more about the 2019 Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Scholars.
U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are interested in the scholarship should submit their admission applications by the deadlines listed by program below. Please note that, in some cases, the deadlines to be considered for the scholarship are earlier than our normal program deadlines. Candidates will also need to complete the FAFSA.
Participating Master's Programs (listed by deadline)
- Joint Master’s in Anthropology and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Joint Master's in Near Eastern and Judaic Studies and Women's Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Master's in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Joint Master’s in English and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Joint Master’s in Sociology and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Please Note: March 15 is earlier than the admission application deadlines for the following programs.
- Comparative Humanities (on hiatus)
- Global Studies (on hiatus)
- Music (Composition and Theory; Musicology)
- Near Eastern and Judaic Studies
- Biotechnology (admission is rolling and will close when the cohort is full)