Diversity, Excellence and Inclusion Scholarship
The Diversity, Excellence and Inclusion Scholarship (DEIS) is designed to enable students from non-traditional backgrounds — including first generation college graduates — to benefit from a world-class Brandeis education. The scholarship is offered to appropriate applicants pursuing full-time master’s degrees in the Humanities, Social Sciences, Music and Biotech.
Our hope is that many of our DEIS scholars will move on to leading doctoral programs around the country. At GSAS, we are committed to supporting students as they navigate the challenging and exciting world of graduate study. Close relationships between students and faculty are a cornerstone of the Brandeis experience, and we take pride in the mentoring that our faculty and Career Services team provide. Our cohort of scholarship recipients will be able to take advantage of these already-proven support services as they prepare for doctoral applications and career opportunities.
For the 2017-18 cohort, we will offer five DEIS awards to students in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Music, and three awards in Biotech. The award will include:
- Full-tuition scholarship
- $10,000 stipend
- Full credit toward an individual health insurance plan
- Mentoring, counseling, workshops, and peer support to coach the cohort through the master's programs and beyond
U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are interested in the scholarship should submit their applications by the deadlines below. Candidates will also need to complete the FAFSA. Please note that, in some cases, the deadlines to be considered for the scholarship are earlier than our normal program deadlines.
Photo Credit: Simon Goodacre
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences welcomed the 2017 Diversity, Excellence and Inclusion Scholarship (DEIS) recipients in August with a barbecue at the dean’s house. Five members of the cohort were present, including: Lauren Bernard, Christiana Joseph, AK King, Jill Martin, and Caleb Smith. They will be studying: Anthropology, Biotechnology, Global Studies, History, Musicology, and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Read more about the scholars.
Participating Master's Programs (listed by deadline)
- Joint Master’s in Anthropology and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Master's in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Joint Master’s in English and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Joint Master’s in Sociology and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
Please Note: March 15 is earlier than the admission application deadlines for the following programs.
- Comparative Humanities
- Global Studies
- Music (Composition and Theory; Musicology)
- Near Eastern and Judaic Studies
- Biotechnology (admission is rolling and will close when the cohort is full)