Brandeis' 62nd commencement a day of inspiration, thanks and joy
Inspirational speeches, heartfelt thanks and an abundance of joy marked Brandeis University’s 62nd commencement, as more than 7,000 students, faculty, families and friends celebrated the awarding of 850 bachelor’s degrees, 803 master’s degrees and 93 doctorates in the Gosman Sports and Convocation Center.
In his commencement address, Dr. Rick Hodes, who has devoted his life to helping severely afflicted children in Africa, urged graduates to “run to do good” and “get your hands dirty.”
In addition to Hodes, honorary degrees were awarded to Vartan Gregorian, president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York; painter, sculptor and printmaker Ellsworth Kelly; Chaim Peri, director emeritus of Yemin Order Wingate Youth Village in Israel; visionary community leader and co-founder of Operation P.E.A.C.E. (Partnerships in Education and Community Enrichment) Elaine Schuster and Leon Wieseltier, literary editor of The New Republic.
- May 19, 2013Wieseltier reminds humanities grads of their value
- May 19, 2013Heller School grads celebrate diversity, altruism
- May 19, 2013Text of Ellyn Getz's student address
- May 19, 2013Grads, families look at Brandeis and the road ahead
- May 19, 2013Dr. Rick Hodes' commencement address
- May 18, 2013Remembering Emeritus Professor of Music, Harold Shapero
- May 17, 2013President Fred Lawrence's commencement address
- May 16, 2013Soccer star to march Sunday, return in the fall
- May 14, 2013All in the Family: Getz parents and children feel that campus is their second home
- May 14, 2013Memory of Abraham Maslow faded, not forgotten
- May 13, 2013Events, speakers will mark 62nd commencement
- May 10, 2013Two from women's tennis team are NCAA-bound