Brandeis Counseling Center

Students are eligible for counseling services at the Brandeis Counseling Center, 781-736-­3730.

Academic Services

Academic Services includes the following services for undergraduates: Academic Advising, Academic Fellowships Assistance, Brandeis University Group Study, Disabilities Services and Support, Health Professions Advising, Lerman-Neubauer Fellowships, Textbook Voucher Program, the Transitional Year Program, and the Student Support Services Program. These programs and services are free of charge to students. Feel free to refer your students to any of these services by calling x6-3470.

Academic Advising

Each student has his/her own advisor in the Office of Academic Services based on last name. If you have concerns about a student, that student’s advisor may be familiar with the case. Referrals from faculty and graduate instructors are an important part in supporting students who are in academic distress or who are facing difficult personal circumstances. The advising staff should be in a good position to help and will know the best resources (on and off campus) to assist that student. Please contact Academic Services for more information about advising x6-3470.

Brandeis University Group Study (BUGS)

Brandeis University Group Study, or BUGS, provides peer tutoring to all undergraduate students. BUGS offers group study sessions for over 20 academic subjects to students who want to improve their knowledge in a course. Sessions are led by knowledgeable and non-judgmental students who have already taken the class. They are recommended by faculty members to help students better understand course material, prepare for an exam, or answer any questions relating to the class. Evening drop-in study groups are offered in Usdan 130 in most subject areas. All sessions meet weekly and are free of charge. There is no need to enroll or to make an appointment. A student may come at any point during the designated times that are posted on the website each semester. Students and faculty may request tutorials be added in certain subjects; contact the Program Advisor, x6-3470.

Tutors for all foreign languages must contact the course instructor before an initial session with students to determine the focus of tutorial sessions. Each month, tutorial reports are to be sent to the instructor. If you are a TF in a language course, you will receive a call or a Language Instructor Contact Form from the tutor who has been assigned to work with a student in your class. To use the Tutorial Service most efficiently:

  • Inform students enrolled in your course(s) that the service is available;
  • Refer particular students whom you feel would benefit from the assistance of a peer tutor. (If you would like to refer a student for assistance in a course for which tutoring is not offered or to work on a specific concern, special arrangements can be made to meet the student's needs);
  • Respond promptly to the language tutors who contact you about students in your course.
The Student Support Services Program (SSSP)

Students may request a tutor from Academic Services, or you may call x6-3471 to make a referral. SSSP is a small, community-oriented program dedicated to working with students who are the first in their families to go to college and also with students who come from low-income backgrounds. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, there are 930 Student Support Services Programs nationwide; Brandeis University is one of the few highly selective colleges chosen to have this program. SSSP provides such services as academic advising, career planning, graduate school preparation, mentoring, cultural and academic trips, and a computer lab. For further information, please visit SSSP in Usdan 130.

The Transitional Year Program

The Transitional Year Program (TYP) at Brandeis enrolls 20 outstanding students in a year-long academic program. Because these students have not had access to highly-resourced high schools, TYP gives them the opportunity to take both undergraduate courses and exclusive classes. These students become part of the Brandeis community upon joining the program and many stay at the University beyond the transitional year. Should one of these students be in one of your classes and you have concerns about performance, contact Kathryn Bethea, the TYP Director, x6-3467.

Textbook Voucher Program

Each semester, Academic Services awards book vouchers, ranging from $50-$150, to undergraduate students in need of assistance to purchase textbooks. To be eligible to receive the voucher, students must be on financial aid and have exhausted all possible financial resources. Students may receive a book voucher only once per academic year, either in the fall or the spring semester. Applications will be available during the first week of classes in the Academic Services office on the second floor of Usdan. For more information, call the Academic Services Office, x6-3470.

International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)

ISSO offers assistance and referral services on personal, academic, and immigration-related matters affecting international students. It also provides programming of special interest to the international community on campus and coordinates the Brandeis host family program. ISSO is located in Kutz Hall 215, x6-3480.

The Gateway Scholars Program

Although academically qualified to enter Brandeis, some international students (not all) require more practice in speaking, reading, and writing English. The Gateway Scholars Program is designed to give non-native speakers of English the skills they need to become successful students at Brandeis. If you feel a student is struggling with English, please contact Academic Services or the ELP (English Language Program) Office.

The Writing Center

The Writing Center at Brandeis provides writing tutorial services to undergraduate and graduate students from all disciplines. Students may use the Writing Center for assistance in every phase of the writing process, from pre-writing to final draft. Graduate Student writing consultants, are able to help with conceptual issues (e.g., thesis, argumentation, and organization) and professional writing skills (e.g., personal statements, job letters, and grant applications).

For more information, go to For information about working for the Writing Center as a consultant, contact the directors at

The Art of Referral

Some undergraduates find TF/CAs less intimidating and perhaps more sympathetic than faculty members. This tendency to view TF/CAs as more accessible has advantages and disadvantages. Students may be more frank with TF/CAs in expressing their feelings about the course, their general academic progress, or even their personal lives. But some may feel that they can more easily manipulate the TF/CA due to the TF/CAs relative inexperience.

As a TF/CA, your best defense against "over involvement" is knowing when and how to refer students to other University resources. Wise referrals will save you time, reduce stress, and ensure that the student receives the proper assistance.

Keep in mind there are support services all over campus:

  • Familiarize yourself with the various services available on campus.

  • Whenever possible, promptly inform the faculty instructor or your program chair of any problems.

  • Deal promptly with all students expressing complaints and concerns.

  • Be attentive to students and express concern, but do not become involved personally.

  • Learning disabilities and medical conditions are not always readily apparent. If you have any questions regarding undergraduates with disabilities, contact Academic Services, 781-736-­3470.

  • If you think that a student is in serious trouble academically or personally, you should contact the instructor and proper office for help.