Students may petition for a leave of absence or health leave of absence using the GSAS Change of Status Inquiry Form. All inquiries will be directed to the GSAS Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs who will reach out to you to discuss your request. Returns from leave may be subject to conditions established at the inception of the leave as indicated in the official letter granting the leave. Time spent on authorized leaves of absence will not be counted toward the maximum time permitted to complete degree requirements.

Should a student need to go on leave for medical reasons, he or she can petition for a health leave of absence by completing the GSAS Change of Status Inquiry Form form and submitting the required documentation from a healthcare/psychological service provider. Health leaves of absence are typically granted for up to one year and students must follow the required steps to return from a health leave at least one month prior to the start of the semester they are expected back at the Graduate School. These steps will be outlined in a letter to the student upon approval of going on medical leave.

If, for any reason, a student must extend a leave of absence, he or she must request such an extension in writing before the leave of absence expires. Failure to do so will result in involuntary withdrawal from the Graduate School. Students who extend their leaves of absence beyond one year may lose departmental funding. Should a student wish to return, the student will be considered for funding as part of the department's entering cohort of students.