NOTE: Graduate students in the biological sciences who are supported off NIH grants or HHMI funds are forbidden, by grant restrictions, to take up any additional paying work. 

2014-15 GSAS Prizes & Awards Chart (PDF)

Details and deadlines for the DYF, UPI, Mellon dissertation research grant, and the master's research grant (i.e. GSAS awards). Coming soon!


Contact: Brooke Ball
(781) 736-3407

Looking for Other Funding Opportunities?

Visit External Funding with links to major, national competitions and funding databases.

University-Administered Fellowships, Grants, and Prizes

Doctoral Support

Mellon Dissertation Year Fellowships

Awards a 12-month stipend ($2,750/month) for students in the humanities and humanistic social sciences who are in the final year of dissertation writing. Only students who will be entering their fifth- or sixth-year in the fall may apply for this fellowship. Learn more.

Mellon Dissertation Research Grants

A grant of up to $3,000 for dissertation research-related travel and other expenditures. Doctoral students in the humanities and humanistic social sciences may apply. Learn more.

Provost Award

An award in the $500-$1,000 range to support of an ABD-doctoral candidate's dissertation-related research expenses. Note: this award is managed and sponsored by the Provost's office, not GSAS. Learn more

Schusterman Center for Israel Studies

The Schusterman Center funds full and partial fellowships for doctoral students focusing on Israel Studies in fields such as history, politics, sociology, Middle East studies, Near Eastern and Judaic studies and literature. These fellowships—granted through individual departments—will be renewable, after review, for up to five years, with up to a $24,000 stipend per year. If you receive a Schusterman Israel Studies Fellowship, you will receive a full tuition scholarship. You will also receive health care benefits, estimated at a value of $1,500. Learn more.

The Tauber Institute 

The Tauber Institute offers grants for pre-dissertation and dissertation research in any academic discipline of Jewish Studies. Grants up to $5,000 will be awarded to cover travel expenses (such as visits to archives), purchase of research materials such as microfilm (but excluding books), and costs of data collection and processing. Learn more.

Travel Funds Request

GSAS will reimburse doctoral students in the humanities, social sciences and creative arts up to $500 each academic year so that they may travel to present papers or serve on panels at conferences or workshops. Learn more.

University Prize Instructorship

Provides doctoral students (from any discipline) the opportunity to design and teach an upper-division course in their field of research. Learn more.

Master's Research Support

GSAS Master's Research Fund

Provides master's students (from any discipline) up to $300 to help cover research expenses primarily for a thesis or major paper.  Learn more.

GSA Travel and Research Grants

These grants provide funds to conduct research, primarily for a  thesis or the “major project” required by some graduate programs. Grants are typically in the $150-$300 range. Learn more.

Travel/Research Abroad

Note: Mellon Grants and Ph.D. travel funds may also be used to support travel abroad.

Center for German and European Studies

CGES offers a number of grants for students and faculty to sponsor research and travel to Germany and Europe. Grants of up to $2,000 are awarded. Learn more.

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright award's U.S. student program enables graduate students (and recent graduates who do not hold a terminal degree in their field) to conduct research and study abroad or to work as English teachers for an academic year. All applicants for this program must be U.S. citizens. All applications must first be submitted by the campus deadline (usually by mid September) for internal committee review. Learn more.