The Office of the University Registrar (x6-2010), located in Kutz Hall, is the official repository of academic records. It issues official transcripts upon written request, performs certification functions, audits records to ensure satisfactory completion of degree requirements, and conducts registration and course enrollment at the beginning of each term. The Registrar's website lists the Academic Calendar, Key Degree Dates for Graduate Students, and the University Bulletin. Be certain that you select the current calendar, degree dates, and Bulletin when navigating.

The GSAS Student Guide does not replace the Bulletin; the Bulletin is the official repository for academic rules and regulations.

Auditing Courses

The privilege of auditing courses without fee is extended to all regularly enrolled, full-time graduate students. Part-time degree students and non-degree special students may audit a course but will be charged the same rate as a course taken for credit. No courses may be audited without the permission of the instructor and the student's program chair. Auditors may not take examinations or expect evaluation from the instructor. No credit is given for an audited course. The option of auditing courses is not available during the summer term.

Dropping Courses or Changing Grading Option

Students are allowed to drop courses or change their grading option to an “audit” status. Graduate students cannot take courses on a “pass/fail” basis. To drop a course within the allowed period, obtain a drop consent code from your instructor and using this code drop the class online via Sage. In order to change the grading option of a course to audit, one must obtain an add/drop form and return it to the Office of the University Registrar. This form must be signed by your advisor and the course instructor.

Grades and Course Standards

Graduate students are expected to maintain a record of distinction in all courses. Letter grades are used in courses in which grading is deemed appropriate. In readings or research courses, if a letter grade cannot be given at the end of each term or academic year, credit (CR) or no credit (NC) may be used. NC and any letter grade below B- are unsatisfactory grades in the Graduate School. A course for which the student receives an unsatisfactory grade does not count toward graduate credit.

Programs may review academic records at the end of each semester if a student is not making suitable academic progress. In these cases, academic probation or withdrawal may result.

Final grades are available to students through the registration system upon posting by the University Registrar after the end of each semester.


A graduate student who has not completed the work (exams, papers, etc.) for any course may receive an EI (incomplete) or a failing grade at the discretion of the course instructor. A student who receives an EI must satisfactorily complete the work of the course in which the incomplete was given in order to receive credit for the course and a letter grade. All work for an incomplete must be submitted in the following term, no later than the date published in the academic calendar for the term.

An EI that is not resolved by the deadline in the Academic Calendar will automatically become a permanent incomplete (recorded as "I" on the transcript).

In exceptional circumstances, an instructor may request an extension of the deadline from the University Registrar.

Graduate Cross-Registration

A full-time degree graduate student at Brandeis University may enroll in one graduate course each term at Boston College, Boston University, Tufts University, or the Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Information on courses for cross registration at each of the host institutions is available at the graduate school office of each institution.

A student at Brandeis who wishes to enroll in a graduate course at one of the host institutions should obtain a registration permit from the Office of the University Registrar and should present this permit to the office of the registrar at the host institution. The student should consult with the instructor in the particular course and is expected to satisfy the prerequisites and requirements normally required for admission to the course, including adherence to the academic calendar of the host school.

Any part-time graduate student in a degree program is allowed to participate in cross-registration. Students may only take one cross-registration course a semester, and are required to take at least one full-semester Brandeis course in addition to the cross-registered course. Students may only enroll in one cross-registration course per semester of residency.

Due to differences in academic calendars among the colleges in the consortium, it is not advisable for degree candidates to enroll in a cross-registered course in their final semester.

Credit for Work Done Elsewhere

Graduate level courses taken prior to matriculation at Brandeis or while on Leave of Absence and pursuing an approved course of study may be applied to reduce the residence requirement for programs with a 2-year or longer residency.

The Master’s degrees with less than a two-year residence requirement do not accept transfer credit to reduce the residence requirement, although a program may accept work taken elsewhere in partial fulfillment of specific course requirements for the degree. In that case, additional courses are designated to replace courses from which the student has been exempted.

The post-baccalaureate programs do not accept transfer credit.

For the Master’s degree programs that have a two-year residence requirement, a maximum of one term of residence credit for graduate-level courses may be transferred toward fulfillment of the residence requirement.

Students in PhD programs may file an application to have graduate-level courses counted toward fulfillment of residence requirements at Brandeis. A maximum of one-year residence credit may be granted. Applicants for transfer credit will not necessarily be granted the credit requested. Each program reserves the right to require of any student work in excess of its minimum standards to assure thorough mastery of the area of study. In all cases, courses being transferred must carry a grade of B or better and must have been earned at an appropriately accredited institution.

After completing one term of residence at a full-time rate or the equivalent at a part-time rate, students eligible to apply for transfer credit may do so. The External Transfer Credit Form is available on the Office of the University Registrar’s website in the ‘Forms’ section. This form should be submitted to the student’s program for approval and then submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.


Current and former students may request official academic transcripts from the Office of the University Registrar. You can find details about Brandeis transcripts and the ordering process on the Registrar's website.