Disability Services on Campus

Brandeis University welcomes all qualified individuals as students, faculty, or staff members and represents a diverse body. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with appropriately documented physical, learning, or psychological disabilities. A student is considered to have a disability if:

  • The student has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;

  • The student has a record of such impairment or is judged to have such impairments including functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

Disclosing a disability and requesting accommodations are personal decisions. Brandeis does not require a student to disclose the existence of a disability, but students who wish to request accommodations must do so. If you wish to disclose the existence of a disability, please visit the Disability Services page and contact the GSAS representative. A ‘reasonable accommodation’ is defined as any change in the work or educational environment that will allow students with a documented disability to perform the essential functions. All accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. Students, faculty, and staff must follow well-established procedures to obtain accommodations.

Graduate Student Affairs

Graduate Student Affairs is a great resource for help outside your department. Their offices are in Kutz Hall across from the Registrar’s window, within the Graduate Student Center. Periodically, workshops and seminars on teaching, career development and job hunting are offered and are announced via your Brandeis email, through the GSAS e-newsletter Highlights and on the GSAS website. If you have questions about off-campus housing, this is the place to turn to as well.

GSA also maintains the Graduate Study Lounge in Gerstenzang 134 in the Science Quad. The Graduate Student Center and the Graduate Study Lounge have public computers reserved for graduate student use. These spaces feature information about what's happening in graduate student life on campus, and some occasional programs – social and educational – sponsored by Graduate Student Affairs and the Graduate Student Association.

Graduate Student Association

The Graduate Student Association represents three graduate schools (Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Heller, and International Business School) and is an institution of self-government that voices graduate student interests and concerns while serving as a bridge between the students and the administration. It provides both social and academic opportunities for graduate students from various departments to meet and interact. The Graduate Student Association also sponsors travel and research grants for graduate students across campus.

On-Campus Student Employment

Students who are interested in working on-campus, alongside work required for degree completion, can look for positions through the Office of Student Financial Services.

Career Development for Graduate Students

Brandeis’ Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Center for Career and Professional Development is dedicated to providing graduate students with the tools and resources necessary to successfully explore and manage lifelong career success and meaningful employment. We seek to connect graduate students to career, experiential, and professional development opportunities consistent with their goals and values. You can schedule individual, confidential career advising sessions, email your resume or CV for critique, attend programs and workshops tailored to specific types of job search, and utilize our career-based technology applications.

Parental Leave

Students may either (1) take a Leave of Absence for the semester or (2) register and continue to receive their stipend, while postponing any teaching obligation for that semester, in consultation with their department.

Lactation Rooms and Child Care

Certain rooms have been designated as private so that mothers may express their milk or breastfeed their child. Please email Robin Mancini at for more information and to acquire access. For further information about where the rooms are located as well as child care options, please visit the Human Resources site.

Psychological Counseling

The Brandeis Counseling Center offers individual, couples, and group counseling to all students. The Center maintains the strictest standards of privacy and confidentiality.

Class Cancellations

When Brandeis decides to delay the opening of campus or to not open for the day, they will communicate this information by 6 a.m. of the affected day, using the Brandeis Emergency Notification System. You will receive email, text or voicemail messages about any operational changes, including closings, delayed openings and early closings. Alternatively, you can call the Brandeis Weather Hotline at 781-736-2625.

Library and Technology Services (LTS)

Library and Technology Services offers comprehensive library and technology support to the Brandeis community. Graduate students can expect to work with LTS staff in a variety of ways: research, course support, access and circulation, intellectual property, and IT security.