The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences would like to extend a special welcome to all of our new matriculating students!

Students should take care of these items either prior to or upon arriving on campus.

Prior to Arriving on Campus

Confirm your Intention to Enroll

Should you decide to attend Brandeis University, be sure to follow the instructions provided in your admission letter and complete your Admission Response Form by the deadline stated in your admission letter.

If your admission letter indicates that you must pay a tuition deposit, please note that your enrollment confirmation will not be considered complete until the tuition deposit is received. Non-refundable tuition deposits can be made via credit card online immediately after your Admission Response Form is submitted.

Submit all Official Transcripts

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences requires official transcripts for post-secondary education that occurred prior to matriculation at Brandeis University. The transcripts that were uploaded to your application are not considered official.

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences reserves the right to revoke admission of anyone who does not provide official transcripts.

Set up your UNet Account

After confirming your intention to enroll (including the payment of any required tuition deposit), you will receive instructions on how to go about setting up your UNet Account. This account will provide you access to Brandeis University’s electronic applications including the Brandeis email system. Once you have accessed this system, most of GSAS’ subsequent correspondence will be sent to your Brandeis email address. If you intend to begin your studies in the summer or fall, then you will receive these instructions in the spring. If you intend to begin your studies in the spring, then you will receive these instructions in December.

Opt In or Opt Out of Health Insurance

Information about the enrollment and waiver process, benefit information, and FAQs can be found at the UHP website.

Domestic Students (Full or 3/4 Time): You must enroll in or waive health insurance every year you are a student. You will not be officially enrolled in the health insurance plan unless you sign up at the UHP website. Failure to enroll in the university health plan by the deadline may result in an inability to actively utilize your insurance benefits until approximately one month into the semester. PhD students who receive a health credit as part of their financial aid package will not receive the credit unless they enroll through the UHP website.

International Students: You will be automatically enrolled in the health insurance plan every year and any health insurance credits that you received as part of your financial aid package will be added to your student account. No action is necessary.  

Part-Time Students: Part-time students are not eligible to enroll in the graduate health insurance plan. Please note the Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that all citizens be enrolled in a state approved health insurance plan. Visit the Massachusetts Government website for more information on Massachusetts health insurance options.

Complete Required Health Forms

In accordance with Massachusetts state law, all full-time and ¾-time students (students registered for nine or more credits per semester) must submit documentation of all required immunizations before arriving on campus. These forms and any related questions should be addressed to the Health Center, not to GSAS.

Secure Housing and Explore Commuting Options

On-campus graduate student housing is not available. Students are, however, able to find convenient rental housing that is walking distance to campus or a short shuttle, car, bus, or commuter rail ride away. You can find a list of free van and shuttle service time and locations, as well as purchase discounted MBTA passes, through the Office of Graduate Student Affairs. Parking permits are available through the Department of Public Safety and are required for students who intend to park on campus.

International Students: Complete I-20/DS-2019 Process

The International Students and Scholars Office will be in touch with incoming international students with instructions for completing the I-20/DS-2019 process in April for summer and fall admits. One of these forms will be required for the visa interview. For specific and detailed questions about immigration and your specific visa (including J-1 holders), please contact the International Students and Scholars Office.

Upon Arriving on Campus

Attend Orientation Activities

Students in the Master of Arts in Teaching programs will receive information regarding their unique orientation that takes place over the summer.

Students matriculating in the fall should anticipate GSAS orientation activities during the week that classes begin. Incoming students will receive more detailed GSAS orientation information via email in August.

Individual departments often hold department-specific orientations; you can connect with your department directly for more information.

Review the GSAS Student Guide

The GSAS Student Guide contains useful information ranging from course registration and workshops offered to student billing and rights and responsibilities. Please note that the GSAS Student Guide supplements the University’s Rights and Responsibilities and the Office of the University Registrar’s Bulletin.

Get your Student ID Card

Student ID cards are printed in the Campus Card Office located on the bottom floor of Kutz Hall. Your student ID card can be used at campus libraries, dining services, and marked vending machines, as well as for printing/copying, and entry to various campus facilities.

Explore the Graduate Centers

The Office of Graduate Student Affairs maintains two Graduate Student Centers on campus. The primary Center is located across from the Registrar's office in Kutz Hall. This Center has computers and a printer, as well as a kitchenette and a lounge with a television. Students looking to do group work or quiet study can also reserve the adjacent conference room. The other Center is the Graduate Study Lounge, located in Gerstenzang above the Science Library. It is a quiet study space, perfect for when you really need to focus.

Complete your I-9 and Establish Direct Deposit
In order to obtain a job on campus or receive your stipend, you must be able to present original identification to the University that satisfies the requirements of Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification). Students receiving a stipend or who have been hired as a Course Assistant will receive an email from the HireRight system containing instructions for completion of their I-9. Students are to complete Section 1 on their own and must bring the appropriate documentation to the GSAS office in Kutz to complete Section 2. Your I-9 must be completed by the first day of classes at the absolute latest.

After completing your I-9 at GSAS, we will send your paperwork to the Payroll Office. Please allow Payroll approximately 2-3 weeks to set you up in the Brandeis University Self Service (BUSS) system. Once set up, you will be able to log in and establish your direct deposit and W-4 information.

Check Out Dining Services Options

Brandeis University’s Dining Services division runs several locations on campus, each outfitted with different menu items and hours of operation. Please note that there might be special hours of operation at the beginning of the semester.