Spring 2010 Presidential Letter
Dear Fellow Students,
Let me begin by welcoming back returning students and the incoming exchange students to the Brandeis Community! I wish you all a fantastic semester here. The purpose of this letter is to give you a quick update on the Graduate Student Association's (GSA) future activities, and to acknowledge last semester's activities. We have numerous exciting activities and opportunities for graduate students and we are always open for more proposals.
Upcoming Events of Interest:
- Travel and Research Grants (TRG)—The GSA awards grants to graduate students looking for funding for research and academic related travel through TRG. It is a great opportunity to get additional funding. Important: the TRG applications are due February 22nd. Applicants will be notified mid-March. For more info, please visit the TRG website.
- Poster Symposium—The Graduate Student Poster Symposium is planned for Wednesday, April 21st, 3pm-6pm in Rapaporte Treasure Hall. Please save the date. It is a fabulous opportunity to practice creating academic conference posters to showcase your research, and to see your classmates work. For more information contact the Educational Programming Coordinator, Benjamin Kramer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Workshops—We have 2 upcoming workshops of interest: Presentation Skills, on Thursday Feb 11 at 4pm in G-zang 136 and Developing Effective Poster Presentations, Feb. 25th at 4pm in G-zang 136. If you are interested, please let Alwina Bennet (email@example.com) know as soon as possible.
- TGIF—Do not forget this opportunity to socialize with graduate students from every school (Heller, IBS, GSAS) while we are drinking and eating for FREE! It takes place the first Friday of each month.
- Ski Trip—Finally, just to let you know that the ski trip that will be held next week has reached a record number of students registered to go. This is just great!
Notable Events Last Semester:
- Gerstenzang Graduate Student Study Lounge—Last semester we officially inaugurated the new study lounge, which is a quiet place to study. All graduate students have access to the study lounge 7 days a week (via your ID cards), from 7am-midnight. Remember the entry is only possible via the Volen Plaza door. For those who haven't visited it, I urge you to do so because you'll find it a useful place.
- Presidential Search Committee Representation—We would also like to inform you that the senate met last semester with the search committee representatives with the objective to give the student perspective on the qualities of the new President of Brandeis University.
As a final reminder, I would like to say that the Graduate Student Association is here for all of you. If you have concerns and suggestions we would be more than happy to hear them. And finally, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the tremendous work Alwina and Robin have done at the Graduate Student Center to make all these activities a success. Please feel free to contact me or any GSA member.
Wish you all a relaxing February break!
Joao Bernardo Vieira
Master in Sustainable International Development '10
President, Brandeis Graduate Student Association 2009-2010