Recommended Readings, Rabb School of Continuing Studies
Nov. 10, 2020
- Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own, Eddie S. Glaude Jr.
- Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot, Mikki Kendall.
- How to Be an Antiracist, Ibram X. Kendi.
- Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, James W. Loewen.
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, Michelle Alexander.
- So You Want to Talk About Race, Ijeoma Oluo.
- Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America, Michael Eric Dyson.
- We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy, Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide, Carol Anderson.
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race, Reni Eddo-Lodge.
- Activists Protest at "Sidelining of Social Justice" at UN Climate Talks, Fiona Harvey.
- The Black American Holiday Everyone Should Celebrate but Doesn't, Jamelle Bouie.
- Disaster Looms for Indigenous Amazon Tribes as COVID-19 Cases Multiply, Scott Wallace.
- Health Equity Considerations and Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- How Can We Save Black and Brown Lives During a Pandemic? Data From Past Studies Can Point the Way, Anne Gibbons.
- The Issues, Cultural Survival.
- A Journey Through Contested Lands (pdf), Pacific Standard magazine.
- Manipur: Portaits of Resilience, Neeta Satam.
- Navajo Nation: The People Battling America's Worst Coronavirus Outbreak, Joshua Cheetham.
- Race and Research: How Public Health Experts Can Reduce Racial Bias in Their Work, Chandra Ford.
- The Racist Practice of Mispronouncing Names, Keya Roy, Zuheera Ali and Medha Kumar.
- The 1619 Project (pdf), The New York Times Magazine.
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (pdf).
- What Do Caronavirus Racial Disparities Look Like State by State? Maria Godoy and Daniel Wood.
- What We Know About the COVID-19 Race Gap, Zoë Carpenter (subscription required).
- When the Fourth of July Was a Black Holiday, Ethan J. Kytle and Blain Roberts.
TED Talk Videos
- How Racism Harms Pregnant Women — And What Can Help, Miriam Ziola Pérez .
- How Racism Makes Us Sick, David R. Williams.
- The Urgency of Intersectionality, Kimberlé Crenshaw.
- Your Health Depends on Where You Live, Bill Davenhall.
- Center for the Study of Racism, Social Justice and Health (website).
- The Founding Contradiction: Thomas Jefferson's Stance On Slavery (audio).
- Frederick Douglass' Descendants Read His Famous "Fourth Of Jul" Speech (audio).
- I Am Not Your Negro (Netflix subscription required), directed by Raoul Peck (documentary film).
- Minority Population Profiles, Office of Minority Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (demographic study).
- People Don't Even Look at Me: Eight Black Women Discuss Politics of Light and Dark Skin, Tom Silverstone and Summer Sewell (video).
- The Segregation Myth: Richard Rothstein Debunks an American Lie (video).
- 13th (Netflix subscription required), directed by Ava DuVernay (documentary film).