Information for Students and Families
Welcome to Brandeis! The Health Center is here to support your health needs while you are a student.
Requirements for New Students
All new incoming students are required to complete a health report before arriving to campus. This report is completed on the secure patient portal by filling out the online forms in the portal, entering your immunization dates, then uploading a copy of your immunization records and a copy of the results of any tuberculosis screening tests for validation by Health Center staff.
Steps for Students to Complete their Health Reports:
- Gather your immunization records and if needed tuberculosis screening records. Sample Health Report Forms for Incoming Students. You may also use those provided by your own medical providers.
- Register for the Secure Patient Portal by using your private,unique UNET ID.
- Under the Forms tab: Complete the three required online forms: Health History Form, Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire, and the General Agreement (which includes information on privacy practices).
- Under the Immunizations tab: Enter the dates of your vaccines from your record.
- Under the Upload tab: upload your required immunization records and any related lab tests done for verification. You may upload a copy of your latest physical exam here as well.
The Health Center will communicate any discrepancies or further documentation needs through the secure patient portal by sending a message link to your Brandeis (UNET) email account.
Failure to complete these steps will result in a registration hold.
Health Insurance Plans
For information on the Brandeis Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, or to enroll or waive the plan with your own comparable health insurance, visit the University Health Plans website.
For questions regarding your insurance, or the Brandeis Blue Cross Blue Shield plan, email University Health Plans or call 800-437-6448.
For more information, please visit our Health Insurance page.
Optimizing Health Outcomes While Away From Home
The following are some things you can do to prepare for your health needs while away from home.
- Carry a copy of your insurance and prescription cards. You should bring these with you when you access health services. Make sure you understand how your insurance works; when you may need a referral from your Primary Care Provider or if a specific laboratory must be used for example. It is required that you have reasonable coverage for emergency AND non-emergent care in the area of the school. Go to the University Health Plans website for information on the school brokered health insurance plan which meets these requirements.
- Review important components of your health history including current medications, conditions that may recur, and allergies. Review the available support resources on campus and how to access them. Please call us at 781-736-3677 with any questions or concerns.
- Make a personal first aid kit complete with a thermometer, band-aids, sunscreen, insect repellant, and any self-care, non-prescription medications you use.
- Properly store your medications and supplements. We recommend you use a lock box to keep your prescriptions safe and review potential interactions with alcohol and other medications. A pharmacy delivers directly to the Health Center for your convenience.
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date and get your flu shot annually. Watch for our flu clinic notifications in the fall.
- We encourage students to share their health care concerns and issues with their families. We need a student's consent in order to share any details about their medical care when the student is 18 years of age or older.