Information for New Students and Families
Welcome to Brandeis! The Health Center is here to support your health needs while you are a student.
Requirements for New Students
All incoming students are required to complete a health report once upon matriculation. This report includes your immunization records, a copy of the results of tuberculosis screening tests (if required), and the required health documents, or your copies of similar documents.
- Forms tab: Complete the three required online forms: Health History Form, Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire, and the General Agreement (which includes information on privacy practices).
- Immunizations tab: Then enter the dates of your vaccines from your record.
- Upload tab: Finally upload your required immunization records and any related lab tests done for verification. You may upload a copy of your latest physical exam here as well.
We will communicate any discrepancies or further needs through the secure patient portal by sending a link to your Brandeis email account.
Failure to complete these steps will result in a registration hold.
Health Insurance Plans
For information on the Brandeis Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, or to enroll or waive the plan with your own comparable health insurance, visit the University Health Plans website.
For questions regarding your insurance, or the Brandeis Blue Cross Blue Shield plan, email University Health Plans or call 800-437-6448.
For more information, please visit our Health Insurance page.
Optimizing Health Outcomes While Away From Home
The following are some things you can do to prepare for your health needs while away from home.
- Carry a copy of your insurance and prescription cards. You should bring these with you when you access health services. Make sure you understand how your insurance works; when you may need a referral from your Primary Care Provider or if a specific laboratory must be used for example. It is required that you have reasonable coverage for emergency AND non-emergent care in the area of the school. Go to the University Health Plans website for information on the school brokered health insurance plan which meets these requirements.
- Review important components of your health history including current medications, conditions that may recur, and allergies. Review the available support resources on campus and how to access them. Please call us at 781-736-3677 with any questions or concerns.
- Make a personal first aid kit complete with a thermometer, band-aids, sunscreen, insect repellant, and any self-care, non-prescription medications you use.
- Properly store your medications and supplements. We recommend you use a lock box to keep your prescriptions safe and review potential interactions with alcohol and other medications. A pharmacy delivers directly to the Health Center for your convenience.
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date and get your flu shot annually. Watch for our flu clinic notifications in the fall.
- We encourage students to share their health care concerns and issues with their families. We need a student's consent in order to share any details about their medical care when the student is 18 years of age or older.