Hiring International Students

  • diverse students at a Hiatt Career Center event

    International students and alumni from Brandeis University bring a wealth of global perspectives and problem solving skills to the workplace.

  • Top Reasons to Hire International Candidates

    The majority of Brandeis international students are on an F-1 visa that allows off-campus work authorization during and after their academic program.

    Hiring International Students


    Getting permission for international students to work in the U.S. is not as difficult as it may seem. There is no cost and minimal paperwork required for employers to hire international students who hold an F-1 visa under Optional Practical Training (OPT) and/or Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Students are responsible to work with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) and USCIS to request this work authorization.


    The cost of work visa sponsorship occurs once an employer decides to convert an international intern into a full-time employee, or when the student’s OPT status is approaching the expiration date. It allows time for employers to evaluate a hire and make the best investment. Learn more about specific sponsorship costs.


    Although the H1B visa is the most common option for employers to hire foreign nationals, other visa categories may also apply. Consult an immigration attorney for specific cases.

    Partnering with Hiatt

    Work with the Hiatt Career Center to help identify and recruit global talent. Contact Sonia Liang, assistant director of career development at sonialiang@brandeis.edu regarding international student hiring.

    • F-1 visa: issued to international students who are attending an academic program or English Language Program at a U.S. college or university. F-1 students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time student status.

    • H-1B: non-immigrant visa allowing U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.

    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the U.S.

    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): off-campus employment option available to some F-1 students, depending on the field of study and degree requirements, during their academic programs. It is intended to provide students with an internship experience as an integral part of their academic program. Students will work with Brandeis University International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) to get the necessary work authorization.

    • Optional Practical Training (OPT) work benefit that allows F-1 students to work in the U.S. during or after their academic program, to gain practical experience in their field of study. Students will work with ISSO and USCIS to get the necessary work authorization. This authorization may take up to 90 days for approval so it is recommended the student plans accordingly.

      • Students have access to 12 months of OPT per degree level.

      • Students in STEM fields are eligible for a total of 36 months under certain conditions.

    • E-Verify: Internet-based system that allows organizations to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the U.S. Employers interested in employing students on STEM OPT must be E-Verify employers.