Please note that the deadline for changing meal plans is September 5th (this Friday).  In order to request a change to your meal plan, you can email us at campuscard@brandeis.edu,  or you can come to the Campus Card Office in Kutz Hall and fill out a change form.  When making a change to your meal plan, there may be pro-rated charges applied to your SAGE account or an adjustment may be made to your new meal plan.  Let us know if you have any questions.

We also encourage you to click on MyHousing and complete your "personal preferences"  if you have not already done so.


To view your WhoCash or Meal Plan balances, click here.

To report your ID card as lost, click here.

To add WhoCash with a Debit/Credit Card, click here.

There is a $1 transaction fee for online WhoCash deposits. This fee will be removed from your total deposit. For example, if you make a $5 deposit, only $4 will go to your WhoCash account. Never, never make a deposit of only $1. Contact us at campuscard@brandeis.edu with questions.


Located in Kutz Hall, the Campus Card Office issues Brandeis ID cards, administers the university meal plans (including meal plan billing to your SAGE account).  We also oversee the WhoCash debit plan.

The office issues ID cards between the hours of 9 am and 4:30 pm Monday - Friday

 First time getting an ID card?  New employees MUST bring the "request for ID card" form from HR. It must be filled out and signed by HR personnel.  This includes Post Docs and anyone who is paid by Brandeis University.

Some visiting scholars, visiting researchers, visiting scientists, etc. may only need to bring their appointment letter.   Please take a minute to call or email us to make sure you have the correct paperwork in order to avoid unnecessary trips to the card office.

Contact us at 781-736-4230 or by email at campuscard@brandeis.edu with questions.