Companions to Elders
Email the Coordinators
Through local agencies and nursing homes, student volunteers are matched as weekly friendly visitors and companions with elder residents. Small groups also provide one-time activities and/or entertainment at senior centers and nursing homes. The Companions to Elders (C2E) program collaborates with Jewish Children and Family Service in Waltham to run and staff a monthly Memory Cafe program, which are social events for individuals with dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other cognitive impairments.
- Population Served: Waltham’s elderly community
- Community Partners: Leland Home, Marist Hill, Springwell Congregate House, Francis Cabot Lowell Mill, and Jewish Family and Children Services in Waltham.
- Transportation: Coordinators provide transportation for volunteers to the assisted living homes using Waltham Group vans.
- How to Participate:
- Individuals who would like a Brandeis student to come visit — Contact your activities director or volunteer coordinator
- Nursing Homes that would like to partner with Waltham Group and Brandeis Students Looking to Volunteer — Email the program coordinators
- Volunteer Time Commitment: Volunteers can choose to volunteer weekly for about an hour and a half, or they can choose to sign up for a Memory Cafe each month. Choosing to do both is an option as well.