The Barry Goldwater Scholarship
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship Foundation awards scholarships to sophomores and juniors interested in a career in scientific, mathematical, and engineering research. The scholarship is designed to find and fund undergraduates with the potential to advance the study of natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering in the United States.
The Academic Fellowships Team is here to support you through all steps of the application process. If you are interested in connecting with us to learn more, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Sophomore or Junior
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have a strong commitment to pursuing a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering
- Must display intellectual intensity in the sciences, mathematics, or engineering
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Must have the potential for significant future contribution to research in their chosen field
- Applicants should have research experience beyond classroom lab and lectures. If you have contributed to a professor's or graduate student's research project in the natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering, please consider applying.
- Campus Deadline: Nov. 15, 2022
- National Deadline: Jan. 27, 2023
- Up to $7,500 in scholarship funding per academic year.
- Awarded sophomores can receive up to two years of funding.
- Awarded juniors can receive one full year of funding.
- Contact Academic Fellowships to set up a meeting to discuss the application process and strategy.
- Complete a Student Profile and Pre-Application through the Academic Fellowship Office.
- Complete an online application and questionnaire through the Goldwater application portal.
- Write a three-page research essay that demonstrates your insights, motivation, background, experiment, stills, and interest in a research career.
- Request three letters of recommendation from people who have served as research mentors, such as professors, postgraduate students, and graduate students.
- Order transcripts to upload into your online application.
- Send a photocopy of your Permanent Resident card (if applicable).
Goldwater is seeking applicants who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Strong commitment to a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering
- Effective display of intellectual intensity in the sciences, mathematics and engineering
- Potential for a significant future contribution to research in their chosen field
- Your Academic Fellowships Team: Meredith and Elizabeth are here to help you through each step of the process, from exploring the different application components, to choosing your recommendation letter writers, to providing feedback on your essays. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a meeting with us!
- Barry Goldwater FAQs: The Goldwater Foundation has compiled a list of frequently asked questions and their answers. This is a great place to further explore the eligibility requirements, application advice, and more.
- Developing the Research Essay: The Goldwater Foundation has created a list of insights and tips to develop the research essay portion of the application. They also compile a list of essay format specifics, such as the font size, file format, and additional information about the use of figures, tables, and graphs.
- Insights and Tips from Goldwater Scholars: Previous Goldwater Scholars have shared some of their advice and insights into the application process and how the scholarship has impacted their academic and collegiate career.